Best CCW Sub Compact Auto or Mini Revolver for Chubby Hands?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    I have both the Sig P239 in .357 sig and the XDs in .45. I have carried daily here in Maryland for too many years to calculate and originally the P239 was my go to concealed carry gun in a DeSantis Viper paddle holster. Once I got the XDs, I started to carry it in a DeSantis pancake holster and wondered how I ever thought the P239 was comfortable. In both winter and summer, I can conceal the XDs on my waist and even if you knew I was carrying, you would not be able to spot it. Like many have already stated here, I am not a little person and IWB does not work for me. My pants are big enough and I refuse to go to a bigger size just to IWB carry. Plus I cannot acquire a decent grip to draw when I IWB carry. I know a lot of this is personal preference and what works for some might not work for others, but over the years I have found that a good polymer frame pistol in a pancake holster can be carried continuously all day long with no discomfort and in fact I sometimes forget I even have it on.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    No worries with the way you are carrying, especially when not in MD. Even states that are CC only (TX, FL) you aren't OC'ing if you're printing, I wouldn't sweat it.

Another vote for the 26, I carry either it or a 33 (.357 Sig) daily (they can share holsters), 90% of the time in an OWB holster. Shirt covers, bulge under shirt, who cares? People are too absorbed to even notice and if they do there's tons of stuff people carry on their waist.

4 o'clock is the sweet spot.....

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    No worries with the way you are carrying, especially when not in MD. Even states that are CC only (TX, FL) you aren't OC'ing if you're printing, I wouldn't sweat it.

Another vote for the 26, I carry either it or a 33 (.357 Sig) daily (they can share holsters), 90% of the time in an OWB holster. Shirt covers, bulge under shirt, who cares? People are too absorbed to even notice and if they do there's tons of stuff people carry on their waist.

4 o'clock is the sweet spot.....

:thumbsup:

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    I think that the G19 is fairly concealable, if you are wearing the right size shirt or pants. From looking at your pics I think you just need to move your shirt up a size or two, and that will take care of a lot of it.

Where you carry the G19 will make a difference as well, so try different locations between 2-5 o'clock and see which is more comfortable or more concealable. They may not be the same location.

The G26 isn't really that much smaller, except for the grip height. If you have a grip height extension on the G19 to make it comfortable to shoot, the G26 might not be a good fit. If you really need to go smaller or lighter, smaller revolvers like the Ruger LCR, S&W 642, etc are not a bad option to consider if you can find larger grips for them, or at least a grip that fits your hand well. The S&W Full sized J-Frame grip is pretty comfortable and a better fit than the boot grip:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...58003_757843_757837_ProductDisplayErrorView_N

vs

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...58003_757843_757837_ProductDisplayErrorView_N

This grip is also larger than the standard boot grip, if you are strong willed enough to wear it:

http://www.amazon.com/Hogue-Frame-R...=1417004774&sr=8-1&keywords=pink+j-frame+grip

lol

The Serpa is a good holster but does have it's drawbacks. Although I have not personally seen it happen, I've read where the mechanism can get lint or other stuff in it and prevent it from releasing. The other downside is shooter discipline and reaction when drawing. If they miss the release and start pulling up, the gun doesn't come out. The proper response is to relax the upward pressure and essentially start over with the draw.

Unfortunately it seems like a lot off people just keep pulling up and putting more inward pressure with the trigger finger. If it does release under those circumstances, the finger is heading right in to the trigger guard and on the trigger.

That is how someone I know shot himself a few years ago, and part of why FLETC prohibited Serpa holsters from being used on their ranges.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    I think that the G19 is fairly concealable, if you are wearing the right size shirt or pants. From looking at your pics I think you just need to move your shirt up a size or two, and that will take care of a lot of it.

Where you carry the G19 will make a difference as well, so try different locations between 2-5 o'clock and see which is more comfortable or more concealable. They may not be the same location.

The G26 isn't really that much smaller, except for the grip height. If you have a grip height extension on the G19 to make it comfortable to shoot, the G26 might not be a good fit. If you really need to go smaller or lighter, smaller revolvers like the Ruger LCR, S&W 642, etc are not a bad option to consider if you can find larger grips for them, or at least a grip that fits your hand well. The S&W Full sized J-Frame grip is pretty comfortable and a better fit than the boot grip:

vs

This grip is also larger than the standard boot grip, if you are strong willed enough to wear it:

http://www.amazon.com/Hogue-Frame-R...=1417004774&sr=8-1&keywords=pink+j-frame+grip

lol

The Serpa is a good holster but does have it's drawbacks. Although I have not personally seen it happen, I've read where the mechanism can get lint or other stuff in it and prevent it from releasing. The other downside is shooter discipline and reaction when drawing. If they miss the release and start pulling up, the gun doesn't come out. The proper response is to relax the upward pressure and essentially start over with the draw.

Unfortunately it seems like a lot off people just keep pulling up and putting more inward pressure with the trigger finger. If it does release under those circumstances, the finger is heading right in to the trigger guard and on the trigger.

That is how someone I know shot himself a few years ago, and part of why FLETC prohibited Serpa holsters from being used on their ranges.

Yeah, there in lies the rub(pun intended). I can get it (G19) not to print but then it's uncomfortable - 2 o'clock, draped by my muffin top... :sad20:

Surprised yours is the first post to suggest a wheel gun - an option I'm def intrigued by. Think I'd rather do 38/38+P than 380. Of course anything 380 solves my printing dilemma. I just don't know if I'd rely on that caliber to save my hide in an incident. On the G26, i think if I can get the grip size down I can theoretically holster at 3:30 where it's seemingly most comfy. The thought is, I can still sit without printing like I do in the sitting pic with the 19.

I do still like the prospect of a G26/642/LCR in a belly band up high, or shirt carry holster. May still investigate those options too.

Thanks again all for your input! Off to the range to try some sub comps and mini wheel guns out!

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    The most important notion to remember came from Massad Ayoob: the best gun for a gun fight is the one that you actually have with you.
    High capacity, IWB, OWB, 45, 9mm... none of that matters if you don't actually carry it because it's inconvenient or uncomfortable. An LCP is only 380; not ideal by any stretch, but if it's small enough and comfortable enough so that you will always have it with you, then it's a good choice. My Kahr is only six rounds of 45; not ideal, but better than zero rounds of 45. The highest capacity, most powerful handgun in the world won't help you if it's home in the safe. If you're dedicated to changing your entire wardrobe to dress around a gun, then you are more dedicated than me; I picked my carry based on my dress, not the other way around. (I know some who dress around their carry.)

Also of note, is that I also carry spare mags for my 45 because, again, it's convenient. They fit in a Sticky mag holder and sit in my back pocket like a wallet.

IMG_20141126_121506_zpsfutedqz9.jpg

IMG_20141126_122252_zpsmn5lecib.jpg

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    True. All good info. I do also struggle with some of the lifestyle changes I'll have to consider once I get my permit. I'll do most of my carry in NoVA, so I'm not thinking when and where would I stop to load and hoster up, how I can dress appropriately for work and for carry. Locations I may have to stow my gear prior to entry into a building - federal facilities for example, etc. etc..

I was really surprised in my CCW class how much you have to kinda tailor your life around your choice to carry or not.

How do you like the shootability of your Kahr btw? I already stock 45ACP for my 1911, so it may be a nice choice to consider, although I doubt I'd be able to find one to rent... Have also considered the XDS45.

Thanks for your input

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    True. All good info. I do also struggle with some of the lifestyle changes I'll have to consider once I get my permit. I'll do most of my carry in NoVA, so I'm not thinking when and where would I stop to load and hoster up, how I can dress appropriately for work and for carry. Locations I may have to stow my gear prior to entry into a building - federal facilities for example, etc. etc..

I was really surprised in my CCW class how much you have to kinda tailor your life around your choice to carry or not.

How do you like the shootability of your Kahr btw? I already stock 45ACP for my 1911, so it may be a nice choice to consider, although I doubt I'd be able to find one to rent... Have also considered the XDS45.

Thanks for your input

It's not an all-day range fun gun, but definitely shootable. It's thin and light, so in 45ACP, it's got some felt recoil. Still more pleasant to shoot than the LCP, though. Keep in mind that these are purpose-build guns; they are designed to be carried and fired under stress (Neither the Kahr nor the LCP have a safety. their longish trigger pulls are their "safeties". Just point and click.) They're not necessarily fun shooters.

2012-06-19180456.jpg

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    It's not an all-day range fun gun, but definitely shootable. It's thin and light, so in 45ACP, it's got some felt recoil. Still more pleasant to shoot than the LCP, though. Keep in mind that these are purpose-build guns; they are designed to be carried and fired under stress (Neither the Kahr nor the LCP have a safety. their longish trigger pulls are their "safeties". Just point and click.) They're not necessarily fun shooters.

2012-06-19180456.jpg

True, and that being the case, maybe 380 for Summer, and whatever I can fit under winter garb for chillier times. Thanks, and nice rig - bet that looks like a wallet from the rear.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    This being the case, why not just get an American arms .22 derringer and carry it under your tongue like a nitro glycerine pill? Lol

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    I love the glock 26 & 27. Also like th Springfield xd/s. I have both glocks and the xd/s in 9 & 45. They all operate great. I usually think in Maryland that you need more than one ccw because of clothing changes in different temperatures.

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    Yeah, there in lies the rub(pun intended). I can get it (G19) not to print but then it's uncomfortable - 2 o'clock, draped by my muffin top... :sad20:

Surprised yours is the first post to suggest a wheel gun - an option I'm def intrigued by. Think I'd rather do 38/38+P than 380. Of course anything 380 solves my printing dilemma. I just don't know if I'd rely on that caliber to save my hide in an incident. On the G26, i think if I can get the grip size down I can theoretically holster at 3:30 where it's seemingly most comfy. The thought is, I can still sit without printing like I do in the sitting pic with the 19.

I do still like the prospect of a G26/642/LCR in a belly band up high, or shirt carry holster. May still investigate those options too.

Thanks again all for your input! Off to the range to try some sub comps and mini wheel guns out!

A slightly larger shirt and maybe moving the gun back to 3-4 o'clock can make the G19 fairly concealable. And moving the gun a bit when going from standing to seated isn't necessarily a bad thing, as long as it is done discreetly (which it can be).

I suggest you take a hard look at the size difference between the G19 http://us.glock.com/products/model/g19 and the G26 http://us.glock.com/products/model/g26, and then factor in if you are going to carry the G26 with the flat magazine floor plate used in the measurements, or use the +2 magazine floor plate that it seems like everyone actually ends up carrying. With the +2, there really isn't much difference between the two in grip height.

Please don't think that I am trying to talk you out of getting a G26, because (and counter intuitively) I actually shoot better groups with the sub-compact glocks than I do with the compact or full sized glocks. I just want you to know that they aren't really that much smaller if you don't use the flat floor plate.

Revolvers can be a good choice for concealed carry, and may actually give you a few more choices for how you carry. In the pocket of a winter jacket a G26 is essentially a one shot handgun if fired from inside the pocket, and trying to pull it out after being fired probably won't happen. A small covered-hammer revolver (642, 442, 640, etc) in the same pocket can be fired until empty. Revolvers don't go out of battery and will still fire when the front is pressed against something, where an automatic may not fire if pressed hard against another object.

My only real advice is that there is no one perfect handgun for everyone. The closest to a correct answer is whatever handgun you feel most comfortable carrying, holding, shooting, and operating. Comfort leads towards confidence, which leads towards competence, provided proper instruction on technique is provided.

If you don't feel comfortable carrying it, there's a good chance that you won't carry it as often.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN

Just carry at 3 oclock. A proper holster, and proper clothing the Glock 19 will disappear. Hell it would work with a desert eagle. I do this everyday, trust me. Get a galco suede and forget the tacticool kydex BS. The pistol will disappear. I carried like this today. In a shirt that is not as long as l prefer. The key can be tucking it down deep. The shirt comes down and covered the belt clip and the gun becomes nonexistent. This is also extremely comfortable whether in the car or walking around town.

5d63c00bbfbd891b0f8c2eeefd592747.jpg

sig63

Jun 15, 2009
    FREED AT LAST!!!
    Here's me with my G19, in a Galco King Tuc IWB and Ruger gun belt at 3:00PM. Name Taken, to your credit, it actually is more doable as you mentioned at 3:00 vs 4:30, which def sags on me. However I do still print while sitting. See below.

I would suggest keeping the glock 19 and changing your shirts. Printed patterns (I prefer darker plaids) and button down shirts work really well at drawing the eyes away from the bulge at the hip. Also if you're wearing a size bigger it will drape around the gun better, and thus print less.
    It is winter now so wearing even a windbreaker or unzipped light jacket will cure a lot of issues. For summer...well, everyone will be wearing lighter clothing so a smaller caliber and smaller gun in your cargo pants/shorts will probably work.
    Sometimes a CCW selection is more about dressing around the gun that gets the job done, rather than finding the "perfect" gun. There are always compromises. Just don't compromise on the gun if it works and you can rely on it to save your life.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Just carry at 3 oclock. A proper holster, and proper clothing the Glock 19 will disappear. Hell it would work with a desert eagle. I do this everyday, trust me. Get a galco suede and forget the tacticool kydex BS. The pistol will disappear.

Amen.Drop it right in the pants, tilt it (cant) it forward to get that butt in line with the side of your body, problem solved.
    Worried about printing sitting down at a restaurant? Logistically sit with your gun side against the wall. I know, I know all the cool kids have to face the door in order to wait for that all important robbery. More of a chance someone spotting your pistol than that robbery happening.

Get to the car, pop it out and drop it right in the console or between the seat and console. This is a Bianchi Model#6? Suede holster I have been using probably 10 years now. It's pretty generic and can hold several different pistols. This is my Sig MK25 in it in a pocket of my backpack sitting right next to me here in Starbucks.

Attachments

• suede.jpg
      suede.jpg
      50.7 KB · Views: 115

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Hey, so thanks again all to the additional comments, suggestions, etc.. So I'm def going to keep the G19 for IWB in the Winter, but being the buyaholic I seem to be, I shopped around for somethin smaller anyway, and here are the results:

1.) Fondled a G26 - seemed too fat, chunky, and quite frankly heavy to buy in addition to my G19 - so I skipped that one at $499 used - $599 new.
    2.) Grabbed an LCR - didn't like the 2 fingered grab, nor the grip feel.
    3.) Then an LC9 - didn't like the trigger.
    4.) Next just cus I think its cool in a bulldog kinda way, a PX4 Storm SC - too chunkiliscious for me.
    5.) Held an XDS9, and thought the grip kinda hurt.
    6.) Kimber Solo - didn't like grip, nor the price of $900 - may as well spend more and get a baby 1911..
    7.) Grasped a used S&W Bodyguard 38 with a CT laser - grip was too small, and seemed like it'd be a handful with +P ammo. I also have a habit of having smooth grip pistols spin in my hand on firing if my hands get sweaty. Nice price though - $350.
    7.) Then finally, I picked up what I thought was one of the ugliest of the lot, an M&P Shield 9, as seen below. I really get hung up on aesthetics of guns, but this thing fit gripped well, with both the standard and extended mags, both of which it came with, the sights for a lower price point gun were really big and bright, and out of the lot, the trigger on this thing is every bit as amazing as folks suggest! The slim profile makes me think I can easily sink this thing deep at 3:00, feel comfy, and not print as I worry about, even with lighter clothing. So, why do I have a pic of it?

Well, this seemingly lightly used one, which the LGS dude noticed I kept coming back to in spite of me bitchin about its ugliness, was finally offered to me for $325, which seemed to me like a really good price for whit I think was a safe queen. Had box, both mags and papers, so I jumped on it, and so begins the wait period!

How you guys think I did on price?!?

I'm down in Raleigh for the holiday, so I'm gonna look for more holsters for this and the G19 at their mega Gander Mountain, new mega BassPro, and if I can time it right, maybe hit GreenTop in Richmond on my way back North.

Thanks again for helpin me on this journey fellas! --JB

4927fc9d901e3d348d507d7cd22e8ca6.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom