• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    entering "gun and safe and recommendation" i got this error message

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 71 bytes) in /home/mdshoot/public_html/search.php on line 1155

This is the same error message I am getting.

Cal68

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    There is a guy in Frederick (was at Howard Co shows) that carries such a safe. I don't have the info here at work, but can get it for you over the weekend.

Thanks for the tip. This could be the same guy I met at the Frederick show last weekend. He was from Thompson Safes in Frederick.

Cal68

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Wow, I did not get to check this site yesterday after I posted my question, and I was stunned to see how many responses I had when I logged on this morning! I had no idea that I would get so many answers to my questions regarding gun safes. You guys are the best! I may not be able to thank every one of you for your help, but believe me, I am very grateful for all the advice that you are giving me. I know that with your help, I'll get the right gun safe for me. Your help is very much appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

Cal68

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Call Greg or Mike at A1 Uniform. I picked up a Fort Knox from them for a very reasonable price. I know that they also have a few other choices. Tell them I sent you.

Thanks for your recommendation, I will do that. Fort Knox is one of the safes I've seen and liked.

Cal68

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Here is a free safe in Arlington:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/zip/4758726830.html

Expensive Safe for Free if you can remove it (Arlington)

We have a very large safe that we can give away for free if you can remove it from our location. It is about 2000 to 4000 pounds weight and will require removal of a front door glass.

The safe is worth over $6000. So it is great for someone who has skills and time to engage in this endeavor.

Please email your qualification and provide clear explanation that you can remove front door glass and put it back properly as part of the removal process.

Unfortunately, this is not going to work for me because of the size! But thanks for the pointer to the free safe!

Cal68

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Once you've found your safe, be aware that a '21 gun' safe, for instance, will generally only accommodate maybe 12 long guns. A bolt gun takes up almost as much room as two shotguns. And you always need room for more acquisitions.

Yes, the first thing I heard when I started researching gun safes is that you need to get one that is bigger than the one that you think you need!:)

Cal68

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I think the OP needs to get his search button repaired. Mine works fine searching on "gun safe". Try this one to start: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=158007&highlight=%22gun+safe%22

Any tips on what I need to do to get my search button repaired? I'm not very proficient at using computers, so I need a bit of help!

Thanks for the link to gun safes, it worked great when I clicked on it. I intend to read the thread carefully before I buy a safe.

Cal68

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    My advice is:

A) Buy the best safe you can afford. Don't try to go cheap (unless all you can really, TRULY afford is cheap), just to save money. A cheap safe if better then no safe. But, in the end, you get what you pay for.

B) Buy a safe bigger than what you need. It's cheaper than buying a second safe when you run out of room. (Not to mention the expense and hassle of having it delivered and installed.)

As far as fire protection, if you can afford it, get one with poured insulation between the inner and outer steel skins. Not "fire-board" (glorified drywall) glued to the inside walls. But if you can't afford something with poured insulation, at least get something with doubled fire-board. Not just a single sheet.

That said, I own an Amsec (American Security) SF series. It has a Lifetime Warranty, an RSC (Residential Security Container) rating, and a 1 hour fire rating at 1,200 degrees.

(The BF series has the poured insulation, with a 2 hour fire rating, but there's a considerable difference in price.)

http://www.amsecusa.com/gun-safes/

ETA: If you decide on an Amsec, I can probably get you a good deal on it. But you would have to pick it up from my distributor's warehouse in Silver Spring. (I no longer move safes.)

Thanks for the great advice. I will check out Amsec safes but unfortunately, I do not have the capability of transporting safes, so I will get whoever I buy it from to deliver it to my house and set it up for me.

Cal68

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    My recommendation is to find a good local vendor who can deliver, install, and service your safe. They'll be able to make recommendations based on your needs and budget, and if there's ever a problem they can handle it.

I agree for all the reasons you have mentioned, plus I like giving business to my local small business owners. I would not even consider buying something as large as a gun safe by mail order!

Cal68

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    Thanks for the great advice. I will check out Amsec safes but unfortunately, I do not have the capability of transporting safes, so I will get whoever I buy it from to deliver it to my house and set it up for me.

Cal68

No problem. I don't really sell gun safes, just for that reason. People usually want them delivered. And I'm just to old and worn out to do it (safely) anymore.

But glad I could be of some assistance. (At least the brain still works!)
    :)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Back at home, and yes, it is Thompson Safe. And the Superior safes are the ones he carries with plate steel doors. MUCH harder to get into than the "composite" doors.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    No problem. I don't really sell gun safes, just for that reason. People usually want them delivered. And I'm just to old and worn out to do it (safely) anymore.

But glad I could be of some assistance. (At least the brain still works!)
    :)

You have definitely been of great help to me! Thanks.

Cal68

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Mike Thompson just delivered a large Superior Safe (Master series) to my place. My third purchase from him. Mike is a class act. Cannot recommend him highly enough.

As mentioned already, the Superior plate doors are several steps above the cheesy composite doors (like Champion uses now).

Last edited:

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    I have to mention LackaSafe if anyone is looking for legit UL listed safes. I haven't bought from them yet but I will eventually. I have just request quotes from them and they have been quick to respond to my questions and quote requests. The delivery with install price was really reasonable for the 2500-3000 lb safes I was asking about.

http://www.lackasafe.com/categories/used-safes-specials

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom