• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • UpperMarlboroMan

Mar 11, 2013
    Anyone have an idea what the differences are between the Model 1911 long rifle and the Model 1911 short rifle (and the K11) that Century is offering?

Check out this website for descriptions of the various Swiss rifle models:
    http://www.swissrifles.com/sr/

The descriptions on the Century site are a little confusing (for example, they have the rifle length the same for both the Long and Short rifles). The Long rifle was made for only a few years (1913-1919), but the K11 was produced for many more years (through 1933). The Long rifle is about 8 inches longer overall. Remember that many Long and K11s were both converted from earlier rifles, so there is a chance you may get something much older if you buy one of the 96/11 conversions.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Check out this website for descriptions of the various Swiss rifle models:
    http://www.swissrifles.com/sr/

The descriptions on the Century site are a little confusing (for example, they have the rifle length the same for both the Long and Short rifles). The Long rifle was made for only a few years (1913-1919), but the K11 was produced for many more years (through 1933). The Long rifle is about 8 inches longer overall. Remember that many Long and K11s were both converted from earlier rifles, so there is a chance you may get something much older if you buy one of the 96/11 conversions.

Thanks. I understand the difference between the Model 1911 and the K11. I was asking more about how Century has described what it is offering. To me, the "1911 long rifle" looks identical to the "1911 short rifle", and the "short rifle" seems different from the K11. That swiss sight doesn't differentiate between a 1911 long and short, other than inasmuch as a K11 is a "short" 1911. See what I'm saying?

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UpperMarlboroMan

Mar 11, 2013
    Thanks. I understand the difference between the Model 1911 and the K11. I was asking more about how Century has described what it is offering. To me, the "1911 long rifle" looks identical to the "1911 short rifle", and the "short rifle" seems different from the K11. That swiss sight doesn't differentiate between a 1911 long and short, other than inasmuch as a K11 is a "short" 1911. See what I'm saying?

OK, I see what you are saying. I agree, they basically have the same description for the Short and Long (and have separate entry for K11), which is quite confusing. I think they have the "Short" rifle mislabeled or something as the true Short 89/00 rifle had a brief production run with only 18,000 of them made.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    OK, I see what you are saying. I agree, they basically have the same description for the Short and Long (and have separate entry for K11), which is quite confusing. I think they have the "Short" rifle mislabeled or something as the true Short 89/00 rifle had a brief production run with only 18,000 of them made.

I'm going to call them and will post an update. It's my understanding that 99% of the 89/00s were converted into K11s.

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reverendbeer

Stiff Member
    Nov 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel Province, DPRM
    Just a reminder, SAMCO has free shipping on all rifles till 11/30...

K31s get free sling and muzzle cover, Yugo SKSs and M24/52Cs get free Yugo accessory kits.

https://www.samcoglobal.com/rifles-2010.html

I have 4 SAMCO rifles, and they all have a tiny, tiny import mark under the end of the barrel. I guess they import their own. Shipping is in the blind....it shows up when it shows up. My K31 took 6 days.

(just shilling for a company I heart.)

jkeiler

Mar 25, 2013
    Bowie
    The vz24 I ordered from Rguns on Monday arrived today. They called me about 5 minutes after I submitted the order asking about an FFL. I told them I had a C&R and emailed them a copy. They shipped it right out. Pretty remarkable. Haven't had a chance to open the package yet, but should get to it tomorrow.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    The vz24 I ordered from Rguns on Monday arrived today. They called me about 5 minutes after I submitted the order asking about an FFL. I told them I had a C&R and emailed them a copy. They shipped it right out. Pretty remarkable. Haven't had a chance to open the package yet, but should get to it tomorrow.

Tease!

They called me right away too even though I had already emailed them my FFL. It had ended up in their spam folder.

I had to have them delay my shipping until Monday since I'm out of town.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      79.2 KB · Views: 228

jkeiler

Mar 25, 2013
    Bowie
    vz24 from RGuns. It looks to be Romanian rearsenaled much like a a Russian capture K98. Bore is pretty good, disassembled and cleaned bolt which looks almost new, with just a little cosmo here and there. No capture screws and the empty magazine doesn't block the bolt (like on a Yugo.) Otherwise has all the vz 24 bits and pieces to distinguish it from a K98. Crest is scrubbed but was there. FR17 serial number means that at least the receiver was the 17th rifle of the 6th batch of the Romanian contract, which means rifle 125,017 of contract. Other parts appear to be forced matched. Overall, I'm happy with it for the price and for the excellent service from RGuns--the gun was also packed extremely well.

Attachments

• vz24 6.jpg
      vz24 6.jpg
      86.4 KB · Views: 225
    • vz24 9.jpg
      vz24 9.jpg
      73.2 KB · Views: 216
    • vz24 2.jpg
      vz24 2.jpg
      67.7 KB · Views: 223
    • vz24 7.jpg
      vz24 7.jpg
      58.9 KB · Views: 216

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    vz24 from RGuns. It looks to be Romanian rearsenaled much like a a Russian capture K98. Bore is pretty good, disassembled and cleaned bolt which looks almost new, with just a little cosmo here and there. No capture screws and the empty magazine doesn't block the bolt (like on a Yugo.) Otherwise has all the vz 24 bits and pieces to distinguish it from a K98. Crest is scrubbed but was there. FR17 serial number means that at least the receiver was the 17th rifle of the 6th batch of the Romanian contract, which means rifle 125,017 of contract. Other parts appear to be forced matched. Overall, I'm happy with it for the price and for the excellent service from RGuns--the gun was also packed extremely well.

Looks good, I'll be happy with mine for the price if it's in similar condition! I didn't expect a real looker with all matching parts and crest for that price.... As long as it shoots well I'll be happy.

Edit: Cat AND foot, strong picture taking skillz :)

jkeiler

Mar 25, 2013
    Bowie
    Looks good, I'll be happy with mine for the price if it's in similar condition! I didn't expect a real looker with all matching parts and crest for that price.... As long as it shoots well I'll be happy.

Edit: Cat AND foot, strong picture taking skillz :)

I think they'll be good shooters, though it will be awhile before I'll get mine to the range. Post pics when yours arrives, cats and feet optional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom