• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    My son has the Ruger American in 30-06. Its a lot of rifle for the money but I wish it came in a wood stocked version. I still might get one though.

Scud

Nov 16, 2008
    Near Smithsburg
    Three shots sound nice. Being able to repeat the feat with five shots with monotony would be better I suppose, but one properly placed shot will do the job.
    I am glad to hear that you enjoyed yourself. There is no need to have good folks wear each other out over a good day on the line.
    Congratulations.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    OK< those of you who do not accept that 3 shot group, GO DO BETTER. Or even MATCH IT.

Fine to be harping on this or that theory, when the man shot that group at 950 YARDS. How many of you have even shot 1/3 that distance???????????

Of course, the instruction at Bang Steel helped. It is not just the rifle, with varying wind, the wind reading and calls can make a HUGE difference.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    OK< those of you who do not accept that 3 shot group, GO DO BETTER. Or even MATCH IT.

Fine to be harping on this or that theory, when the man shot that group at 950 YARDS. How many of you have even shot 1/3 that distance???????????

Of course, the instruction at Bang Steel helped. It is not just the rifle, with varying wind, the wind reading and calls can make a HUGE difference.

How cute. Another defender of a junk methodology.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    501 I'm glad your not training me I would have sold all my firearms and switched to democrat by now, thanks for the enthusiasm and promotion of the hobby.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    501 I'm glad your not training me I would have sold all my firearms and switched to democrat by now, thanks for the enthusiasm and promotion of the hobby.

Don't make bunk claims and you have nothing to worry about.

Should I be sorry that I have to low to nonexistent tolerance for ********.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville

I'll take that as an invitation, just want to watch how it is done theory and methodology where might I see this 900 yd 1/2" MOA shooting with a less than $350 rifle. Please, I want to learn, that's why I follow MDS.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    OP, you suck. Here's my 100 shot group at 100 yards offhand with a glock 17

DT-SRS-3-Shot-Group-at-100-Yards.jpg

:sarcasm:

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

Can't look at the links posted on the phone easily (but will later from a computer). Do you remember if in their probability determinations, did they set anchor points or boundaries? Obviously, one consideration with a 100 yard target is the overall size, as I suspect the 900 yard target isn't 9 times larger (unless the 100 yard target was a small post it note that with sight adjustment one could repeatedly string 3 shot groups into). I do agree that when gauging a rifle's inherent accuracy at 100 yards, a 5 shot or greater group gives one a better confidence interval. However one can't always extrapolate to other distances if there are other variables and claim that a result is stochastic. If they're just analyzing groups not bounded or anchored to a point of aim in the probability determinations, it might not be analogous.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    Can't look at the links posted on the phone easily (but will later from a computer). Do you remember if in their probability determinations, did they set anchor points or boundaries? Obviously, one consideration with a 100 yard target is the overall size, as I suspect the 900 yard target isn't 9 times larger (unless the 100 yard target was a small post it note that with sight adjustment one could repeatedly string 3 shot groups into). I do agree that when gauging a rifle's inherent accuracy at 100 yards, a 5 shot or greater group gives one a better confidence interval. However one can't always extrapolate to other distances if there are other variables and claim that a result is stochastic. If they're just analyzing groups not bounded or anchored to a point of aim in the probability determinations, it might not be analogous.

I don't recall that being covered in the links I posted.

I'll take that as an invitation, just want to watch how it is done theory and methodology where might I see this 900 yd 1/2" MOA shooting with a less than $350 rifle. Please, I want to learn, that's why I follow MDS.

Something like this:

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2014/04/best-10-shot-1000-yard-group-in-history-be-amazed/

jimrecord02.jpg

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    Kudos, on the results appreciate the info on the rifle, and for those I notice only 100 yard targets "Really" 308 at 100 yards with a scope, that just dialing it in, that's not really utilizing the ability designed into the rifle or yours...Try M16/556, 500 yds no scope just sights its pouring rain in Okinawa till the Starch washes out of your uniform...So whatever MOA he shot that a hell of a confidence boost...to go do it again... in my book...

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have not fired for group at that range.

But I have hit steel targets at 1200 yards with a .308. As I talked about in my posts on going to Bang Steel. And made multiple hits on that target. And first round hits on a groundhog sized target at over 600 yards. Also hits on a IPSC target at 463 yards with a Mosin Nagant with the PPU factory ammo, and a steel place at 763 yards with the same rifle.

But I am also not the one pissing on this group. I think it is damn fine shooting, even if it is a 3 shot group.

YOU are the one calling the guy out. So YOU need to put YOURSELF on the line and show how great you are. We will even accept a 3 round group to be fair.

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    I have not fired for group at that range.

But I have hit steel targets at 1200 yards with a .308. As I talked about in my posts on going to Bang Steel. And made multiple hits on that target. And first round hits on a groundhog sized target at over 600 yards. Also hits on a IPSC target at 463 yards with a Mosin Nagant with the PPU factory ammo, and a steel place at 763 yards with the same rifle.

But I am also not the one pissing on this group. I think it is damn fine shooting, even if it is a 3 shot group.

YOU are the one calling the guy out. So YOU need to put YOURSELF on the line and show how great you are. We will even accept a 3 round group to be fair.

I'm going to say this once, so pay attention.

If the OP made a simple thread about his shooting experience and acknowledged that his 3 shot group is basically a meaningless indicator of his rifles "accuracy" (in this case it is really precision), there would not be a problem.

However that is not the thread he made. He made a deceptive claim about his rifle accuracy which could easily mislead others. I could not allow such a thread to stand without pointing out this error.

That is the difference. If I actually made some kind of claim about personal shooting ability (without evidence/proof) you could be justified is asking for some kind of evidence. I haven't made any personal ability claim. I have given sufficient proof that 3 shot groups don't hold up/are meaningless.

shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    Kudos, on the results appreciate the info on the rifle, and for those I notice only 100 yard targets "Really" 308 at 100 yards with a scope, that just dialing it in, that's not really utilizing the ability designed into the rifle or yours...Try M16/556, 500 yds no scope just sights its pouring rain in Okinawa till the Starch washes out of your uniform...So whatever MOA he shot that a hell of a confidence boost...to go do it again... in my book...

Damn Gunny you are salty.....What the hell is starch and how do you polish black boots? What was the draft like again:D

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    Damn Gunny you are salty.....What the hell is starch and how do you polish black boots? What was the draft like again:D

Well, I wasn't in the draft years, though before the permanent press uniforms we starched the woodlands until they stood up on there own...Boot=cotton cloth, index finger, a little water in the lid, black polish, rubbing in the polish continuously until it shinned...Old School...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom