• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • randian

Jan 13, 2012
    at least two statements provided by an individual who is not related to the applicant
    This, I think, is the killer in getting your gun rights restored. From what I've seen even good friends won't get involved in things like that.

julyccc

Sep 4, 2008
    Howard County, MD
    How would I go about buying hand guns post 1 Oct?

for example i want to buy a Springfiled XD-40 which normally has 12+1 magazine?

Would I be able to buy it without any Magazine in MD from FFL. Then go down to VA and buy the magazine separately?

I am confused.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    How would I go about buying hand guns post 1 Oct?

for example i want to buy a Springfiled XD-40 which normally has 12+1 magazine?

Would I be able to buy it without any Magazine in MD from FFL. Then go down to VA and buy the magazine separately?

You won't be able to buy that magazine in Maryland after October 1, because it will be against the law, in Maryland. Some other states have different laws.

There is currently no federal law limiting the size of magazines.

julyccc

Sep 4, 2008
    Howard County, MD
    You won't be able to buy that magazine in Maryland after October 1, because it will be against the law, in Maryland. Some other states have different laws.

There is currently no federal law limiting the size of magazines.

I know I cannot buy the magazine after Oct 1. That is very clear.

The question was, would I be able to buy just the gun without ANY magazine in MD?

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    "at least two statements provided by an individual who is not related to the applicant..." This, I think, is the killer in getting your gun rights restored. From what I've seen even good friends won't get involved in things like that.

If it is any help, notice that it doesn't say that you have to have two or more statements from different individuals. On the contrary, it says, "at least two statements provided by an individual . . ." So the plain language would be satisfied if, say, your girl friend submitted two, or even three or four, statements, each explaining in a little different way that you are mentally stable. I expect that in practice, however, this approach would not be well received by the agency.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    consider the "high-capacity revolver"

I know I cannot buy the magazine after Oct 1. That is very clear. The question was, would I be able to buy just the gun without ANY magazine in MD?

Sorry if I misunderstood the question. I do not know if you will be able to find a dealer who will sell you such a semiauto pistol without a magazine for it. But if you find such a dealer, I cannot think of any law that would be broken by such a transaction. Indeed, I imagine that Governor O'Malley would probably prefer it if every semiautomatic handgun was sold without a magazine. Just tell the dealer that you are trying hard to comply not just with letter, but with the spirit of the new law.

In the alternative, since SB 281 does not ban any revolvers, you might consider purchasing a "high-capacity revolver," a type of firearm previously unfamiliar to me, but which was mentioned by Delegate Dumais during the House floor debate on April 2.

Last edited:

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    Sorry if I misunderstood the question. I do not know if you will be able to find a dealer who will sell you such a semiauto pistol without a magazine for it. But if you find such a dealer, I cannot think of any law that would be broken by such a transaction. Indeed, I imagine that Governor O'Malley would probably prefer it if every semiautomatic handgun was sold without a magazine. Just tell the dealer that you are trying hard to comply not just with the spirit, but with the letter of the new law.

In the alternative, since SB 218 does not ban any revolvers, you might consider purchasing a "high-capacity revolver," a type of firearm previously unfamiliar to me, but which was mentioned by Delegate Dumais during the House floor debate on April 2.

Smith & Wesson makes eight shot revolvers in 38/357 which I think would be illegal in New York.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    Wait a second, when did veterans and defense contractors get exempted from the assualt long gun ban? How is that shit fair?

Veterans are not exempt from the new ban on "assault"/"copycat" firearms. The exemption for certain defense-related entities was added in the House committee and tweaked on the House floor. Even without such an explicit exemption, some or all such entities might be covered by the previous exception for "organizations required or authorized by federal law governing their specific business or activity to maintain [otherwise prohibited weapons] and applicable ammunition and detachable magazines."

randian

Jan 13, 2012
    The question was, would I be able to buy just the gun without ANY magazine in MD?
    You probably could, but why? I presume formerly CA- and MA-only guns are going to be imported now, since they already have conforming magazines.

Steviebew

Apr 5, 2013
    I have read through the bill and it seems to me that after oct. 1st you will just flat out not be able to buy 99% of the semiauto rifles period. This IS the most restrictive gun law state in the country now, there are no loopholes my friends. We can only hope it gets ruled unconstitutional.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I know I cannot buy the magazine after Oct 1. That is very clear.

Give me all the 10 rounders that come with your purchases. Thanks :)

Sent from somewhere in the world.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    It might be part of a loophole, but with the way it is worded, the 10 round magazine limit seems to only matter if a person tries to purchase, sell or transfer a mag greater than 10 rounds. It says nothing about a full pistol purchase.

Either way, it seems silly to limit magazine capacity when we live in such a small state and can go get them elsewhere.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I have read through the bill and it seems to me that after oct. 1st you will just flat out not be able to buy 99% of the semiauto rifles period. This IS the most restrictive gun law state in the country now, there are no loopholes my friends. We can only hope it gets ruled unconstitutional.

you need to think more creatively than that. suppose, hypothetically, i take the springfield M1a, put a different stock on it, and call it the Springfield Civilian Sportster Carbine and sell it with a 10 round mag. Its no longer a scary black rifle nor a copy cat. I can think of quite a few semi-auto rifles that are not on the scary evil black rifle list right now and are not copycats.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    you need to think more creatively than that. suppose, hypothetically, i take the springfield M1a, put a different stock on it, and call it the Springfield Civilian Sportster Carbine and sell it with a 10 round mag. Its no longer a scary black rifle . . .

Could you make it a blue rifle? Blue is my favorite color. Very soothing.

Tashtego

Jan 6, 2013

Compare the list of "assault rifles" and the evil features test of SB 281, with the list and test of the law Connecticut is passing. This is bad, but it isn't the most restrictive law w/r/t the "assault weapon" ban.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Compare the list of "assault rifles" and the evil features test of SB 281, with the list and test of the law Connecticut is passing. This is bad, but it isn't the most restrictive law w/r/t the "assault weapon" ban.
    Agreed. Not even remotely the worst. In fact, it puts me in the mind of Canada: they banned a bunch of stuff by name, but you should see the stuff they can grab off Marstar. They've had the Tavor since forever, for example. No Chinese import ban, either.

The practical effect here is that it's forcing people into buying more expensive and more modern AR-10s, SCARs, ACRs, XCRs, etc. with the flash hiders swapped for comps. You'll still be able to buy your awesome MSR, but the selection is going to be not as great. I also expect a veritable flood of AK pistols in the state, perhaps sold as AOWs, now that FFLs will be cut off from AK rifles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom