• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    It's amazing that folks still do that. I don't think any of the confiscated guns were brought in with the intent of doing evil, but still, how TF can somebody not know it's illegal to do that? And more to the point, how TF can they not know it's in their bag? I really don't think these are bad people, just really stupid. In every single case that I worked over a 7 year period, the individuals said that they didn't know it was in their bag. Wonder what else they might not know they have in there? :lol2:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    unfortunately the law doesn't differentiate between criminal intent and stupidity.

but sometimes they're the same.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    "Didn't know" about a gun is hard to believe. But a friend of mine returning from a hunting trip had a few rounds of 30-06 in his carry-on and had some merriment over that. Ended up being given a warning and let go with the knowledge that he would be on "a list" for awhile.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    "Didn't know" about a gun is hard to believe. But a friend of mine returning from a hunting trip had a few rounds of 30-06 in his carry-on and had some merriment over that. Ended up being given a warning and let go with the knowledge that he would be on "a list" for awhile.

Exactly. Couple of rounds... no biggie. One guy had a.22 cartridge so far buried under the folds of his bag it took a while to find it. He didn't even own a gun, but had gotten the bag from Goodwill used, and it must have been in there from the previous owner.

Ammo (and items on what is called an asterisk list... potentially deadly stuff) usually requires involvement of local/airport LEOs. Airport cops have one of the most boring jobs in the world... 12 hour shifts of playing on their cell phones, coffee and lunch breaks, chatting with passengers and giving directions. Then when something, anything, happens on the checkpoint, it's like ringing Pavlov's bell. They're all excited that they finally get to do something different.

salopez

Apr 11, 2011
    Mt airy Md
    i accidentally got a loaded mag through bwi. on my flight back from pheonix they found it. it was a mag i lost years ago...the tossed out the bullets and cop took the mag. i could have paid 20 bucks and filled out forms to have them mail me the 13 dollar mag...i just wanted to get home

Flametamer

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2014
    Frederick County
    We all know the world is full of stupid people. TSA catches a surprising number of them (and probably misses more than they catch) and posts the results for all the world to see. It's always fun to take a gander at the weekly post. . .
    http://blog.tsa.gov/

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Possibly, but that is a reflection of my post saying if you forget you have a loaded firearm, your SA might need some work.

will you forget you have it when it might be needed? or not be self aware?

food for thought.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I distinctly remember loosing a cap gun to airport security when I was 8. Was out with my family visiting a uncle in California. My dad packed up my toy in his checked baggage and I remember going back in and getting it and putting in on my carry on bag, because I wanted to play with it (OK.... like I said, I was 8). The airport screener found it in my carry on and confiscated it. My dad gave me a pretty stern look but didn't say anything to me about it. I remember being VERY pissed off because it was a really good cap gun.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    1972 when returning from Germany on a MAC flight I carried a Walter P38. When buying a civilian flight fro Charleston SC to BWI, I asked the ticket agent what I needed to do with my gun. She said " heck, you're in uniform so keep it with you". Had a gun and 50 rounds. Times have changed.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011

A buddy of mine accidentally left a loaded G20 mag in his bag after a backpacking trip out west. They went ape shirt. He was US military traveling on orders, which probably helped him avoid a huge fine.

N3YMY

Ultimate Member
    Jan 21, 2013
    Could this be a symptom of an increasing uneasiness in society at large, where people are becoming so used to keeping protection handy where it IS allowed, that it slips their mind that it's still with them where it isn't??

I would agree with this perception.

I miss 'merica...

Rick3bears

Grumpy Old Coot
    Jul 28, 2012
    Somewhere, MD
    Going to Mexico last May, I had my carry on bag checked by TSA with no problem. Got to Mexico (Cabo San Lucas) and was randomly pulled aside for bag check coming INTO the country. Dude, pulled some of my stuff out of my carry on and two Tokarov rounds (7.62x25) fell out on the table. He looked at me and all I could do was shrug and laugh. As he emptied the rest of the bag, three more fell out. Of course, they tore ALL my luggage apart, strip-searched me (luckily no orifice check) and finally decided to let me go. They also found one of my business cards in the bag and after some discussion decided it was an honest mistake on my part. (Thank God I can speak Spanish). This all took about an hour and a half and when they let me go, they wanted to GIVE ME BACK THE AMMO! I politely declined and explained that with my luck, I'd get caught by American TSA going back into the United States and that the American TSA agents were nowhere as intelligent as the fine gentlemen who protect Mexico (again, thank God I speak Spanish). We all shared a big laugh. I love Mexico.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom