• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Medshot

Jul 24, 2013
    I'd like to thank Medshot and Gryphon for getting the ball rolling on this. Let's hope this effort brings out as many or more than the numbers that applied post Woollard / pre-stay in 2013. We all know of the "365", of which I and the Mrs was part of, but there were several hundred others that were turned back after the stay was imposed.

At the very least, every member on this forum who is a Maryland resident, who plans to apply for a permit IF Hogan works his magic, and who is exempt from training, should stand up and prove their dedication to the cause by applying now. Hundreds of applications showing up at once should have a bigger impact and draw attention, better than the same hundreds arriving at MSP over an extended period. Make them notice.

Now how about getting this thread back on track?

Yep, we won't know until we try! At the very least, my wallet won't be the only one feeling the pain of a possible-denial. :rolleyes:

From the sounds of things, Gryphon will be round 1, and we'll be the crowd throwing in for round 2. (Now obviously if people who are already except want to apply literally right now, don't let us make you wait! That said, I would recommend one more week so we can have as many as we can before submitting, and obviously past Sine Die.)

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    If I take the 16 hour course, how long is it good for? Just thinking ahead that, if I have the time, maybe I should take the course, and then if the laws or rules change, I won't be part if the mad dash for training. However, if I have to apply for the permit within a short period of time of course completion, then I'll wait.

Raginrog

Apr 6, 2015
    AA county

Medshot

Jul 24, 2013
    If I take the 16 hour course, how long is it good for? Just thinking ahead that, if I have the time, maybe I should take the course, and then if the laws or rules change, I won't be part if the mad dash for training. However, if I have to apply for the permit within a short period of time of course completion, then I'll wait.

Two years per the MSP website.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Thanks for the wake up call to reality;

https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/SupportServicesBureau/LicensingDivision/MainLicensingPage/LicensingandRegistration/Firearms/WearandCarryPermit.aspx

Be sure to go to the bottom and read; Cases Referencing Good and Substantial Reason

Wow, read the two denials. I can't come anywhere close to the reasons they gave, and they were denied. Put a fork in it for me, in Merryland.

I also read the two denials. Sobering reading. One admits the standard used to adjudicate each request is "made up" (to paraphrase). The words "arbitrary" and "capricious" immediately spring to mind. I'm just relieved that we are surrounded by two states and two commonwealths that are governed under the rule of law and the U.S. Constitution, instead of feudal privilege.

bbgunn177

Jun 30, 2008
    I'd be willing to give it a go. I need training so it won't happen for a couple of weeks. Anybody recommended in the Harford Co area to go to for training? Even if it doesn't work I don't see the training cost as a loss. Anytime you get to learn/review something even if you think you already may know it only strengthens your knowledge base.

I have been thinking about doing this for a while. The cost is definitely political speech. I understand that many view it as throwing away $$$, but I view it as taking away the narrative that MSP and the GA have been using that they have such a high approval rate of permits. We as a group keep trying various avenues to approach CCW in Maryland, I see this attempt as no different than 4000+ showing up in 2013 and testifing and those that testified in 2014. There is a cost to show up.

I remember seeing something like 12K permits issued with a 95%+ approval rate if 6,000 people submitted and were denied the rate would fall to 66.67% + or -, if 12.000 people submitted and were denied the rate falls to 50%+ or -, if 18,000 people submitted and were denied the rate falls to 40% + or -. It is a numbers game.

Perhaps if enough people sent in applications the MSP/State would get a taste of the additional revenue. Once tasted no one wants to lose a revenue source.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    If the GA saw MSP drawing new revenue, they'd just steal it for school funding and welfare projects to buy votes. MSP knows they'd never see a dime of it.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Holy cow, I didn't know Honorably Discharged Veterans were exempt, the training was a reason I was holding off. Thanks for posting.

MSP with not needing training, what is the all in cost for applying? Do I need another set of fingerprints if I already have my HQL?

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    So $125-$150.

Ok, I'm in. I'll review the process the next couple of days. If someone has cliff notes on how I need to proceed, feel free to IM me. I haven't paid much attention to the particulars because I previously thought I would need training.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Likewise, If there is anyone taking training in Annapolis or Kent Island, let me know. I saw where there are 2 trainers in Stevensville and a couple in Annapolis.

navycraig

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2009
    St. Mary's
    I know myself and at least 3 others have said they intend to be guinea pigs for the use of self-defense as our G&S, so I figured why not create a thread and try and get many people to submit at the same time, for the same reason? If nothing else, to get a running tally of how many submissions are going to be thrown at the MSP. (Obviously if you prefer to remain anonymous, this wouldn't apply.)

My class that satisfies the 16hr-requirement is next Saturday, the 18th. After that, I'll be keeping an eye out for the response to ericahls's letter in their thread, but otherwise, I'm ready to take the plunge right after.

Now I'm very aware that there may be zero chance of success until AFTER the GA is done with their special session. That said, I'm willing to give it two shots if the first doesn't succeed...and if both don't...well, we'll just have to wait and see.

I'm willing to jump in, but am curious about your anticipated approach. Is your plan to have everyone get things together and then show up, as a group, at MSP HQ and drop off our packages or is it just sending them all in at roughly the same time?

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    I took the 16 hour class last year and have been waiting for courts or a change in MSP Superintendent but I'll jump in this too.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    I'll be doing my training this week. While I will use business functions as part of my G&S, I will be submitting soon hoping for an unrestricted permit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom