• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    So currently, a stripped AR lower does not require an HQL, because it is not a handgun, but simply an "other." Does that mean that I could buy a Glock frame or lower assembly without an HQL?

If a distributor takes apart a existing Glock and sends the stripped frame to an FFL, does the FFL paper it out as a handgun or other?

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    I don't know of any Glock frame that could leave the factory without a serial number. Once serialized it becomes the regulated part of a handgun.

Which is why you can buy barrels, springs, triggers and grips all day long without paperwork.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I don't know of any Glock frame that could leave the factory without a serial number. Once serialized it becomes the regulated part of a handgun.

Which is why you can buy barrels, springs, triggers and grips all day long without paperwork.

Having a serial number does not make it a "handgun." An AR lower or AK receiver has a serial number, but they're still papered as an "other," not a rifle or pistol.

I'm kind of considering building a Timberwolf "Glock." I don't really need it, but if I can get a frame without an HQL, then that would be a good enough FU to Owemalley and Frosh.

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...lf-frame-17-22-sku100011176-55110-111795.aspx

I wonder if Glock would be willing to sell stripped frames to MD, and sell parts kits separately.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I bought a glock frame a few months back. My recollection was that I needed the HQL but didn't need to get the fired casing since it was just a frame.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I bought a glock frame a few months back. My recollection was that I needed the HQL but didn't need to get the fired casing since it was just a frame.

I'd think that's an FFL covering his ass more so than the law or Licensing Division specifying that.

MD law requires a shell casing from new handguns. Since they don't/can't take a shell casing from a frame, then I'd think that implies that MD doesn't consider them handguns. Also last I checked, there are no frames on the handgun roster, so MD shouldn't consider them handguns.

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    What's the definition of Handgun in the Maryland code? I know its "a firearm with a barrel less than 16 inches." Does it say anything else? If not... A guess a frame couldn't legally be a handgun.

offroaD

Jun 1, 2011
    My guess is you do, since the frame can only be built into a pistol unlike an AR. I would say calling and asking Engage would be your best bet.

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Yeah but you don't need an HQL to build your own pistol for personal use, or else building AR pistols would be a problem...

This is a pretty good question.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    I did not say the serial number made it a handgun. I said the serial number made it the regulated part of firearm.

It's a stretch but I suppose a frame could be papered as an "other"-- but only if it was built into a Glock carbine and never reverted to a pistol. That would seem to be the only way to get a Glock without an HQL.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I did not say the serial number made it a handgun. I said the serial number made it the regulated part of firearm.

It's a stretch but I suppose a frame could be papered as an "other"-- but only if it was built into a Glock carbine and never reverted to a pistol. That would seem to be the only way to get a Glock without an HQL.

AR lowers transferred as Other can be built into a pistol.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I wish you luck but I have a feeling you need an hql.

I have been wanting to try to build a 1911 but was told to get the frame I needed the hql which im not willing to do at this point. Eventually I will cave of move but not yet.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    This is a great question and I have also wondered about it, especially since the change of heart on the lowers. However I think it's still a no. They have always required an FFL and other states that sell AR's as C/C require an FFL for handgun frames. I have never seen a Handgun frame on GB that didn't require an FFL, so I wouldn't think Md. would allow it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom