• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blueblood

Jul 13, 2015
    Maryland
    Is the a place where I can get an example of reasons why I' applying for a permit. I know what the regs are just would like to a written example of " I'am applying for a permit for the following reasons ' etc, the written narrative. thanks

Big

Jul 19, 2014
    What reason are you applying for? I have my interview here on Friday so I have a general idea of what needs to be in there.

blueblood

Jul 13, 2015
    Maryland
    I am applying due to business reasons and self defense in regard to being followed etc. General ideas would be helpful. I looking for examples of the narrative on why I need one.

Big

Jul 19, 2014
    You narritative would be just that but just a little more detail. The proof is honestly what you would need the most and that would be in with the application along with any additional information you would bring to the interview. You will need to provide examples of money transfer for the business and any police reports that may have come up with you being followed.

fax6202

Mar 13, 2013
    With the money transfer, does it have to be into a business account ? Does that even matter

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    With the money transfer, does it have to be into a business account ? Does that even matter

I am trying to find out the same. In Md a business checking account requires a Fictitious/Trade name which incurs substantial business fees and personal property taxes which "MD" tells me my business does NOT require so I have used a personal account for years. Some say keeping personal and business separate is good in case something goes wrong with the business a judge will know what properly is personal and which is business but as a sole proprietor isn't it all yours? ; home office, personal vehicle, computer all belongs to the state once it is filed as personal property for business.
    I have spent the last two weeks talking to the state, the banks and two long time friends/accountants to get this info and hope I am interpreting wrong. As for personal account for business good enough for you to have CCW protection rights in MD ? I do not know yet but I think if the state is giving cc to business owners it's because the state has their fingers in your pie but not so much for the little business person who does not need a license as per state guidelines.
    I am trying to figure that nugget out but tough to spend ~$600 and two days in class to get laughed at.
    But I could be wrong.

I will be working today to try to catch up after spending the time researching this, but the range is across the street so :)

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    1. A business account and trade name does not incur substantial fees. The trade name cost about $35 as good as I can remember. My business account used to be free from M&P but now has a $2.95 monthly fee. I maintain a separate business account simply because its easier for me to keep track that income. The bank letter I used for renewal made no mention as to weather the account was business or personal.

2. Personal property tax is calculated on items owned by the business. If you don't claim their purchase against the bottom line, there is no tax.

3. Yes, being a Sole Proprietor means it is all yours, no matter how many accounts you use.

4. If your accountant can't answer these questions, its time to look for a new accountant.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    I am applying due to business reasons and self defense in regard to being followed etc. General ideas would be helpful. I looking for examples of the narrative on why I need one.

You'll need proof of the business. Proof of the business does NOT necessarily mean bank statements of letter. If you are an employee, you'll need written permission from the manager/owner.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    1. A business account and trade name does not incur substantial fees. The trade name cost about $35 as good as I can remember. My business account used to be free from M&P but now has a $2.95 monthly fee. I maintain a separate business account simply because its easier for me to keep track that income. The bank letter I used for renewal made no mention as to weather the account was business or personal.

2. Personal property tax is calculated on items owned by the business. If you don't claim their purchase against the bottom line, there is no tax.

3. Yes, being a Sole Proprietor means it is all yours, no matter how many accounts you use.

4. If your accountant can't answer these questions, its time to look for a new accountant.

If this was directed at me personally thanks for #1. and I was told that if you think you may be able to run a business without some equipment the IRS may not believe you and will want answers, goes right to full audit. Having a trade name and not expecting the tax man to be curious is taking a chance of audit, just have your legitimate business "straight".
    Glad your experience was easy Straightshooter, I may just apply now that you set my research straight.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Wasn't meant to be personal, so no need to be a DICK. You don't need "equipment" to be a business. My cousin is a home appraiser. She owns a laptop, a tape measure and a printer. Many businesses are based on knowledge not bulldozers. I do have a 14 year old legitimate business and pay no personal property tax because all of my tools of the trade is "rolling stock". P.S. haven't been audited either.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Wasn't meant to be personal, so no need to be a DICK. You don't need "equipment" to be a business. My cousin is a home appraiser. She owns a laptop, a tape measure and a printer. Many businesses are based on knowledge not bulldozers. I do have a 14 year old legitimate business and pay no personal property tax because all of my tools of the trade is "rolling stock". P.S. haven't been audited either.

I was happy to hear your input, not sure where dick came in. I'll apologize now for whatever you may have thought.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    Blueblood, unless you have proof of threats don't use SD as a reason MPS will S#%^ can your application. I have found that they don't care about anything other then valuables (money/firearms/drugs) and paperwork to back it up. They are looking to issue permits with the least amount of liability for them. You pull your weapon and kill someone they want to make sure they are OK. Some lawyers will include the State in the wrongful death law suit, if there is one. You want to stress the amounts and frequency if using money, get a letter from your bank manager stating you have an active account. If your business is 24/7 you have to show such. Whatever reason you put on application make sure you can back it up. This comes from 35 years of MD permits. Chris

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If this was directed at me personally thanks for #1. and I was told that if you think you may be able to run a business without some equipment the IRS may not believe you and will want answers, goes right to full audit. Having a trade name and not expecting the tax man to be curious is taking a chance of audit, just have your legitimate business "straight".
    Glad your experience was easy Straightshooter, I may just apply now that you set my research straight.

A lot depends on your business and how you are structured.

The IRS looks VERY closely as certain types of business entities. Too may people called their hobby a business to deduct expenses. This caused IRS to make more rules and to look more closely at them.

Things like equipment. And having to make a profit.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    MSP will want police reports if you claim self-defense. Theyll likely deny without substantial proof in that regard. They're far more used to issuing permits to protect property and money...

With that said, you can appeal your denial to a review board, and so far they've been far more reasonable than the MSP...

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    A lot depends on your business and how you are structured.

The IRS looks VERY closely as certain types of business entities. Too may people called their hobby a business to deduct expenses. This caused IRS to make more rules and to look more closely at them.

Things like equipment. And having to make a profit.
    Hence, a legitimate business. Income, expenses, profit. If someone does not have a legitimate business, they should think twice or three times before taking this route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom