• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    In some ways this is a good thread. While I cant fathom why someone would sell a firearm that is now banned in MD knowing they wouldn't obtain another........for those who must your options are:

- Gunbroker to FFL
    - Armslist with ship to other FFL

My understanding is you can take a long arm, walk across the border and sell to another citizen without an FFL involved.

In the long run this can get ugly, we all have a lot of money locked up in gun purchases. If they become predominantly (e.g., most states prohibiting) or federally prohibited we all lose a buttload of cash. Sucks.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    In some ways this is a good thread. While I cant fathom why someone would sell a firearm that is now banned in MD knowing they wouldn't obtain another........for those who must your options are:

- Gunbroker to FFL

My understanding is you can take a long arm, walk across the border and sell to another citizen without an FFL involved.

Not good advice. Federal law says that a sale to a resident of another state has to go thru an FFL. VA for one doesn't have any such law but it's not a tight rope I'd want to walk.

I consigned a couple of guns to The Gun Bunker in Shrewsberry and had good results.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Only if you want to committ a Federal felony.

Federal law says that ALL transfers between residents of different states must go through an FFL.

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV

- Gunbroker to FFL

In the long run this can get ugly, we all have a lot of money locked up in gun purchases. If they become predominantly (e.g., most states prohibiting) or federally prohibited we all lose a buttload of cash. Sucks.

It's already that way to a certain extent because of the mad rush to buy ARs not just in Maryland before FSA2013, but also because of the threat by Obozo and his horde of minions to ban the rifles nationwide. I tried to sell a now banned AR through consignment out of state and also on Gunbroker but the prices I was offered were so ridiculously low I decided to keep mine rather than give it away. Now I'll just special purpose it for something I don't already use my other AR for.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    You can only buy a long gun in another state directly from an FFL in that state. if it's a private sale it must go to an FFL in the buyers state.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I thought this was only for pistols, not long arms.

According to BATF FAQ:

2. May I lawfully transfer a firearm to a friend who resides in a different State?
    Under Federal law, an unlicensed individual is prohibited from transferring a firearm to an individual who does not reside in the State where the transferee resides. Generally, for a person to lawfully transfer a firearm to an unlicensed person who resides out of State, the firearm must be shipped to a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) within the recipient’s State of residence. He or she may then receive the firearm from the FFL upon completion of an ATF Form 4473 and a NICS background check. More information can be obtained on the ATF website at www.atf.gov and http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html. The GCA provides an exception from this prohibition for temporary loans or rentals of firearms for lawful sporting purposes. Thus, for example, a friend visiting you may borrow a firearm from you to go hunting. Another exception is
    provided for transfers of firearms to nonresidents to carry out a lawful bequest or acquisition by intestate succession. This exception would authorize the transfer of a firearm to a nonresident who inherits a firearm under the will of a decedent. See 18 U.S.C. 922(a)(5).

You thought wrong.

Federal law since 1968.

Billman

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
    May 18, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    So, what is the process regarding Gunbroker? Does an FFL have to be involved? As an individual can we ship to an out of state FFL? What would we keep to record the sale, auction results?

I'm not trying to skirt any laws, but I am considering selling a few and this might be an avenue.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Yes, and FFL has to be involved for any sale between people who are residents of different states.

It depends on the FFL. Some will accept from private individuals, some will not.

I would want FFL info. Name, address, FFL number. Buyer info would not be bad to have, but once I ship it to an FFL, it is up to the them to properly transfer to a legal recipient.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    I live in Virginia.

If anybody wants to sell their banned longguns, jus' PM Mike.:D:lol2:

You can only buy a long gun in another state directly from an FFL in that state. if it's a private sale it must go to an FFL in the buyers state.

THIS ^^^ and...............

Yes, and FFL has to be involved for any sale between people who are residents of different states.

It depends on the FFL. Some will accept from private individuals, some will not.

I would want FFL info. Name, address, FFL number. Buyer info would not be bad to have, but once I ship it to an FFL, it is up to the them to properly transfer to a legal recipient.

.......THAT ^^^.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    Walk around a gunshow in PA with a "for sale" sign, or call around and offer it to dealers in PA. There's also Armslist, which is a lot less complicated than Gunbroker.

And a lot less safe, too. Armslist is meant for FTF transactions and I have purchased once from a seller in Columbia, MD. HOWEVER, Armslist is rife with bogus ads and you'll find some of them if you rely on Armslist long enough.

I never sell a 'piece' out of my home, but the seller in Columbia sold a Garand to me in his garage. I also have a friend who was cheated out of $1900 two years ago fby an Armslist seller who advertised a M1A that did not exist. That seller was known to local TX police because he'd scammed others, and he was convicted and likely did time for his indiscretion.

Lew--Ranger63

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    And a lot less safe, too. Armslist is meant for FTF transactions and I have purchased once from a seller in Columbia, MD. HOWEVER, Armslist is rife with bogus ads and you'll find some of them if you rely on Armslist long enough.

I never sell a 'piece' out of my home, but the seller in Columbia sold a Garand to me in his garage. I also have a friend who was cheated out of $1900 two years ago fby an Armslist seller who advertised a M1A that did not exist. That seller was known to local TX police because he'd scammed others, and he was convicted and likely did time for his indiscretion.

Lew--Ranger63
    The world has sure changed.
    It wasn't long ago that if you wanted to buy a used gun you looked in the Sunpaper, found one that you are interested in, called the guy and went to his house and did the transaction in his living room. No muss, no fuss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom