• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    I've seen the same as Machodoc. I'm using Alox/JPW lube. I had leading after the first two range trips with CB's. I started water dropping the boolits and have had little if any leading since. I put over 100 rounds through both my Mak and CZ-82 Saturday and had no leading in either.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I think you know, by now, that I respect your knowledge and opinions, but I've also read the same stuff about not shooting CBs in polygonal barrels. The chorus of wisdom seems to be that it's a bad idea, but I've yet to see any real data on CBs and CZ-82s. Most of what I've seen seems to have come from Glock saying not to shoot CBs in their guns.I've probably put about 800 rounds of CBs through my CZ-82. They were all liberally treated with Lee liquid alox blend, and the powder charges have been rather conservative, so as to keep the velocity down. I check all of my barrels carefully, both before and after cleaning, and my CZ-82 hasn't shown any signs of leading at all.

I just use my own loads in this gun for plinking and punching holes in paper in a manner that precise accuracy isn't a big deal ... but the loads are still pretty accurate. I'm not advocating that anyone follow my example, nor am I giving advice. I'm just saying what seems to be working for me. Your own mileage, as they say, may vary.

I've seen the same as Machodoc. I'm using Alox/JPW lube. I had leading after the first two range trips with CB's. I started water dropping the boolits and have had little if any leading since. I put over 100 rounds through both my Mak and CZ-82 Saturday and had no leading in either.

I don't disagree with either of you. And, Machodoc. you're correct that most of the discussion is based on Glocks and the bad issues there have been with CB's. I don't own a Glock. Polygonal rifling is different than traditional rifling in any gun. Personally I prefer to shoot my CB's in my P-64 and save my jacketed loads for my CZ-82. To me, it's not worth taking a chance.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I don't disagree with either of you. And, Machodoc. you're correct that most of the discussion is based on Glocks and the bad issues there have been with CB's. I don't own a Glock. Polygonal rifling is different than traditional rifling in any gun. Personally I prefer to shoot my CB's in my P-64 and save my jacketed loads for my CZ-82. To me, it's not worth taking a chance.

Here's what I believe:

Glock has no control over who shoots what out of their guns.

Lots of Glock shooters want to fire rounds that are pushing the envelope, and may not always clean their firearms well.

Firing a high-velocity CB in a polygonal barrel--especially one not well-lubed--can produce leading.

Leading can produce problems.

Glock wants to cover their butts against any chance of having one of their guns blow up (reasonable enough), so they discourage anything that *might* lead (pun intended) to a problem.

Bottom line: the round is not necessarily inherently bad to shoot in a polygonal barreled gun, so long as you load conservatively, lubricate well, and watch for leading.

On the other hand, the P64 loves to digest the same round, and seems to enjoy one that's loaded to be rather perky.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    What's been posted is all interesting stuff. This thread is a few months old but a topic well worth revisiting.

Casting .365's for 9x18 is easy enough. The boolits work well in trimmed 9x19 cases. Trimming 9x19 cases to use isn't difficult either. Berry's plated bullets work very well in the reloads too.

The solution to "finding" all the spent cases became clear to me when we Hooligans began shooting together: "Hey guys, if you want to shoot this pistol, let's watch where all the cases fall so we can pick 'em up and do it again." When you're with good friends, crawling around on all 4's to find that "last" case becomes a quest -> see pic below. :innocent0

Don't go shooting CB's in CZ-82's tho. There's much info out there to read about how lead and polygonal barrel rifling don't go well together.

If Warpspasm thinks he has a problem with his CZ-82 tossing brass, all I can suggest is he get a CZ-52, trim some 223 cases, load them up for a '52 and see if he can find all those cases when the mag is empty. I truly believe some of my cases have made it all the way to WV. :lol2:

Reloading is a great hobby. Making ammo work using modified components is OK. Just make damn sure you have the equipment and experience it takes and know exactly what you're doing.

That pic cracks me up. There is a man who definetly is determined to get every single case fired back in his custody. :lol2:

I never thought you would post that pic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom