• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mch28

Sep 20, 2007
    That looks great! For my own reference, how long did it take you, and what what did the majority of the work entail?

It was a couple hours work on the stock. You have to open up the stock where the receiver sits in. Also where the trigger guard drops through the bottom of the stock. The trigger guard is wider, so the slot in the pistol grip needs to be widened to match. The handguard also needed to be opened up for the forward part of the slide. I'm sure there were other areas, but it's been a while now since I did this. Pretty much the whole thing didn't fit at all, but is worth the trouble in the long run.

Midgettem1

Jarhead
    Jun 7, 2011
    NOVA
    It was a couple hours work on the stock. You have to open up the stock where the receiver sits in. Also where the trigger guard drops through the bottom of the stock. The trigger guard is wider, so the slot in the pistol grip needs to be widened to match. The handguard also needed to be opened up for the forward part of the slide. I'm sure there were other areas, but it's been a while now since I did this. Pretty much the whole thing didn't fit at all, but is worth the trouble in the long run.

Interesting. I'll keep that in mind. I'm still weighing my options as far as "stock project vs saving for a USGI". Your pics are very tempting, however :D

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Interesting. I'll keep that in mind. I'm still weighing my options as far as "stock project vs saving for a USGI". Your pics are very tempting, however :D

You want a GI and you know it, they are not getting any cheaper!

I am up to four USGI (2 Inland, 1 Underwood, 1 Winchester) and would pop for a couple more if given the chance. Below is the Winchester I rebarreled from an early spring tube reciever (1st series Winny). Need to get it a little nicer stock.

100_1133.JPG

Midgettem1

Jarhead
    Jun 7, 2011
    NOVA
    You want a GI and you know it, they are not getting any cheaper!

You called me on it. I think I may have located one… now it's just going to be a lot of overtime and skipped lunches out. They aren't getting any cheaper. Hell, when I was in college just five years ago, I remember seeing them, on average, for between 500 and 600. I didn't see a single USGI for under 900 at the last show I was at.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    You called me on it. I think I may have located one… now it's just going to be a lot of overtime and skipped lunches out. They aren't getting any cheaper. Hell, when I was in college just five years ago, I remember seeing them, on average, for between 500 and 600. I didn't see a single USGI for under 900 at the last show I was at.

Go to York this weekend, there will be some deals, maybe not $600 but some decent guns for sure with mixmasters around $700. If you can get a muzzle gauge because erosion is everything and there are a lot of M1s floating around with near burn barrels at the muzzle. If battle bargains is there, stop and haggle with them, their website and table prices list high but they deal and cash talks. Bough two off of him in the last year and I think I got a very fair price on both. Avoid the guys with collector racks of them, they always want a premium. Make doesnt matter, but IBMs S'G's and Rockolas generally command a premium.

My universal which I know hasnt had ANYWHERE near the rounds through it as the GI most likely rearsenaled guns has almost a 2 which shouldnt be unless they were boring very wide.

Anything less than 3 is generally servicable, though around 2 or less is preferred. My best is less than a 1 and worst is a near 3 (though it shoots extremely well)

Midgettem1

Jarhead
    Jun 7, 2011
    NOVA
    Wish i could go to York. My bank account and wife both say NO though. I will have to check that one out next time it rolls around. I think the next one I will be able to make is the Chantilly one. Thanks for the advice!

Midgettem1

Jarhead
    Jun 7, 2011
    NOVA
    FINALLY got the front site post off- and installed the new barrel band- everything back on and then a trip to the NRA range in VA. Wish I had saved the targets, it's a fun little tack-driver :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom