• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Muggs

Nov 21, 2010
    Cumberland
    Have you checked with National Jet in Lavale. There is also a metal shop in Mexico Farms, but I'm drawing a blank on their name right now.

Potomac Metals.

Personally, after seeing the template, I'd just do it by hand. With a 4 1/2" grinder and a belt sander.

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    You could do it by hand but stainless is pretty miserable to work with, especially once you work harden a hole you are trying to drill.

This is really the issue. The hardware for the windshield is stainless. Worse case is flat steal and then powder coat. I'm hoping one of the several recommendations here will be able to hook me up. I'm going to stop by Clark Welding tomorrow. They supposedly have a plasma cutter. My understanding was the a plasma cutter wouldn't give me the quality cut I'm after but after reading some posts here, I may be wrong. Thanks for the responses. I really appreciate it and I'm going to call or email the recommended places or people.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    This is really the issue. The hardware for the windshield is stainless. Worse case is flat steal and then powder coat. I'm hoping one of the several recommendations here will be able to hook me up. I'm going to stop by Clark Welding tomorrow. They supposedly have a plasma cutter. My understanding was the a plasma cutter wouldn't give me the quality cut I'm after but after reading some posts here, I may be wrong. Thanks for the responses. I really appreciate it and I'm going to call or email the recommended places or people.

I'd still try it by hand. Just use a drill press, really slow speed with a good bit of pressure on the bit and some decent cutting fluid to punch the holes. The cuts aren't that hard to do, it's the holes that will suck. What are your dimensions between holes and metal thickness? I might be able to knock out a pair if I can find the material (figured 1/8" 304)

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    Done. Pro-Fabrication in Smithsburg did it for me. It doesn't polish up very good so I may powder coat it satin black.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      84.5 KB · Views: 89

mtlcafan79

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2008
    PG
    Can't help you with that job.

But the other day I pulled up next to a work-truck that said 'fabrication & erection'. My wife kept staring at the passenger door of the truck with a puzzled look and wondered about the nature of the business they were in (she is not blond, just never had any exposure to the construction trades).

Know a guy that owns a steel erection company that does a lot of work in DC. His t-shirts say "we can get it up" under the logo. His competitor saw them and made some shirts that say "we can keep it up."

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    It doesn't polish up very good

All stainless/steel should polish up to a mirror shine. Start w/ a coarser compound and work your way up. Would be a shame to powder coat - they came out nice.

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    Thanks. I just need to spend some more time on them. I used 1500 wet sandpaper and then ultra fine scotchbrite and then chrome polish. All by hand. What's a better way?

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Im lazy and use power tools;) Scotchbrite roloc discs on an air die grinder for rougher stuff and polishing compounds on sisal and cotton wheels on a bench buffer for finer stuff. Even the finer scotchbrite discs will put a REALLY good shine on stuff w/o having to resort to the polishing compounds. Any way to chuck your scotchbrite pad in a drill?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom