• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tanks4me

Mar 4, 2014
    I am a junior Mechanical Engineering major, and my dream job is to design roller coasters and other amusement rides. It's a disgustingly tiny field; the five companies that I have connections with (and thus sent my resume into for internships) are half of all the companies in the US, and America is actually one of the leading countries (along with Germany, Italy, and Switzerland) and most of these companies are very small, like 20 employees or less. The five companies reside in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Utah, Idaho, and Ohio. The two that currently have official internship openings (and thus the ones that are most likely to give me a full time job when I graduate) are in Pennsylvania and Maryland.

The problem is that I have a collection wish (not a gun owner yet, I will be eventually though) where almost half of my top priority items are scary illegal baby killing assault weapons. In the even that I get a full time job in MD, my questions are as follows:

1: The MD based company is in Baltimore's inner harbor. Theoretically I could live in New Freedom, PA or a nearby town (right on the MD border) but that would mean I would have to commute 45 minutes each way. If I took I-83 down to the inner harbor, how much traffic could I expect to deal with? If it's significant on a regular basis, is there a faster route?

2: If you already owned an assault weapon before 10/1/13, you can own it as long as it's registered. Is there any way you can register and own an assault weapon after that date if you legally purchased and owned it in another state but just moved in? IE would it be possible if I lived in PA for a few months and put up with the long commute as I got my favorite guns, and moved down and registered as soon as I set up my residence?

Now, these issues might not actually be relevant to me at all. There is still no guarantee that I'll get the job in Maryland, and I still have two or three years until I graduate (I have to drop it down to 12 credits per semester, trying to do 15 - 18 is insane, and I might take up to a year off for internships) which means the lawsuits in NY and CT might make it up to SCOTUS and save the whole country by then.

Evil Twin

Jun 13, 2009
    It's not worth it to live in MD when PA is so close. It's unfortunate to have to do so, but we have warned several people contemplating a move, that it would not be in their best interest to move to MD. PA has some stupid taxes, and some of our other members here might be able to give you more specific details about that. Don't move here. It's just not worth it.

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    For question 1: If they allow you to be somewhat flexible in naming your working hours, you can avoid much of the traffic. I commute to and from the same area and "officially" work from 7:00am to 3:30pm. It takes me about 45-50 mins each way. If you don't get out by 3:30, traffic starts to get heavier (still not awful).

This is assuming no accidents and fair weather of course.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick

2: If you already owned an assault weapon before 10/1/13, you can own it as long as it's registered. Is there any way you can register and own an assault weapon after that date if you legally purchased and owned it in another state but just moved in? IE would it be possible if I lived in PA for a few months and put up with the long commute as I got my favorite guns, and moved down and registered as soon as I set up my residence?

While we're being downers the answer to this is NO. As long as you are talking about a banned rifle (either by name, copy of named, or copycat). There are several rifles that some might call "assault weapons" that are not banned. An AR-15 HBAR is an example.

Good luck on the job and welcome to the forum!!

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from Dundalk!
    Take a look at these [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]helpful[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot] links – LOTS of [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]amazing[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot] info!

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]FORUM RULES[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Please consider donating to the legal defense fund to support the UNITED CHALLENGE OF THE MARYLAND FIREARMS BAN[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

SB 281:
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]A detailed summary for non-lawyers[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Legal Defense Thread[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Maryland Ranges[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Acronym list[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

Tanks4me

Mar 4, 2014
    I actually enjoy driving, so I wouldn't mind the commute as much, but as I said I still do have my limits, and New Freedom/Shrewsbury is pretty much my limit.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    I actually enjoy driving, so I wouldn't mind the commute as much, but as I said I still do have my limits, and New Freedom/Shrewsbury is pretty much my limit.
    Friend of mine works at a law office in the Inner Harbor and commutes from Shrewsbury. It certainly is done by a lot of people. I-83 can be a bitch, one tractor trailer accident can block both lanes (it is a 4 lane highway north of Hunt Valley or so.)

The trade off is lower taxes and better real estate values. And of course the 2nd Amendment.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• MSI welcome msg.jpg
      MSI welcome msg.jpg
      38.3 KB · Views: 172
    For question 1: If they allow you to be somewhat flexible in naming your working hours, you can avoid much of the traffic. I commute to and from the same area and "officially" work from 7:00am to 3:30pm. It takes me about 45-50 mins each way. If you don't get out by 3:30, traffic starts to get heavier (still not awful).

This. The best way of dealing with the rush "hour" is to avoid it. Totally sucks otherwise. I commute each day from just north of where the Jones Falls starts at 695, and it takes me an average of 45 minutes to get from there to my garage downtown leaving the house at 8:00 a.m.

Tanks4me

Mar 4, 2014

What is usually the fastest route? I-83 or something different?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I-83 is the only reasonable route. York Rd meanders along side it like an old country scenic route and is the alternate when 83 is shut down.

Depending on when you left your house, your boss would most likely be just a couple cars ahead or behind you most days

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    I haven't seen anyone mention Light Rail. I know from the south it goes through some questionable areas, but with the cost of parking downtown I would think it would be a viable option. FYI you couldn't pay me enough to work in downtown Baltimore or DC for that matter! !!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I haven't seen anyone mention Light Rail. I know from the south it goes through some questionable areas, but with the cost of parking downtown I would think it would be a viable option. FYI you couldn't pay me enough to work in downtown Baltimore or DC for that matter! !!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Pretty sure you have to take I-83 to get to Light Rail. Its only the final leg and the downtown parking ... unless parking is employer provided

Tanks4me

Mar 4, 2014
    ^^The easiest way to tell who's an enthusiast and who isn't is if they mention a coaster company. My favorites are I305, Skyrush, Boulder Dash and El Toro (SFGADV.) My current track record is 236.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom