• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoubleTap007

Mar 18, 2011
    BelAir, MD
    Exactly dont forget the tools to build. That is going to run you well over $100 bucks. Punches, mag block, Armour tool, torque wrench, etc.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Torque wrench is about the only non-gun specific.

And most of the tools are not only specific to firearms, but specifically to the AR platform.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    It would be nice especially to save $.

Aside from your gun parts, the only thing you'd need to spend on having another member show you the ropes is gas.

Was lucky myself, our resident masked gunsmith walked me thru the process. Took a lot of the mystery out of the process.

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    gun specific tools im assuming, the names dont seem like anything i have in my tool box.
    For the most part- yes they are gun specific. Some specific to the ar15. Spend some time in the community here- you might not have to buy all the tools. :)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Bah, detents are cheap.

Any REAL shop has small parts hidden away everywhere from them being dropped or shooting off into space. :)

The sphinx

Ultimate Member
    Jun 27, 2013
    Delaware
    Keep in mind that you'd only be doing it once - all rifles are cash and carry now. (Well, except SBRs, but that's not your problem here.) $800 for a used Colt is really quite an excellent deal if it's in G or VG condition.

That said, I'm sympathetic. I hate long drives, too. Depending on where you are in PG County, you might consider one of those Windham HBARs from Engage... Windham Weaponry is essentially the old pre-buyout Bushmaster, and they have earned an excellent reputation for building good rifles.

:thumbsup: The Windham HBC is excellent!

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Exactly dont forget the tools to build. That is going to run you well over $100 bucks. Punches, mag block, Armour tool, torque wrench, etc.

I've never found the best tool kit for an AR15. People complain that some of the punches are soft and bend or the Armorer Tools don't work properly. I've been waiting on a kit that everybody seems to like that is reasonable in cost.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I've never found the best tool kit for an AR15. People complain that some of the punches are soft and bend or the Armorer Tools don't work properly. I've been waiting on a kit that everybody seems to like that is reasonable in cost.

That is why I never bought an all in one kit. I piece mealed mine I bought punches from brownells, staking punches from amazon, barrel nut wrench from midway, castle nut wrench from brownells, vice blocks from cabelas, etc

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Easy, don't buy cheap tools.

Applies to gun tools, car tools, etc.

If you do buy cheap tools, expect them to be disposable.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    If your in PG you should check out big dogs there a IP and just over the bridge in VA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom