• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • offroaD

Jun 1, 2011
    I've seen some opposing posts on this issue hence I'm asking on here. Basically I bought an engage lower before the ban. I recently picked up an upper and ordered parts to put this thing together. The only thing left is the barrel.

My build is going to pretty much be a range gun that I want to be reliable. So although I'm throwing some decent parts at it I would say the majority of my decisions are based on appearance.

Anyways, I like the carbine look; 14.5" barrel with flash hider. My main question is can pre ban lowers be built into banned configurations or no? I've read both yes and no post, so I'm curious if the MSP or AG has said different things at different times and what the current ruling on this is.

The 14.5" barrel with extended A2 flash hider brings it to 16.1". Would this barrel config with a fixed stock meet the 29" OAL?

If I can build it into a pre-ban setup would it meet the 29" OAL with the M4 carbine stock or the magpul MOE stock?

verizonguy

Sep 30, 2010
    Bel Air, MD
    14.5" barrel needs to be pinned, but yes you can build whatever profile barrel you want on a pre-ban lower. Just has to be over 16" OAL for non-SBR.

offroaD

Jun 1, 2011
    wow. I am sooo mother ****ing happy right now. Maryland has already gun blocked me a couple times, I was pretty sure I wouldnt be able to build this the way I wanted.

Anyways, I was looking into gas blocks, and sights. How do I know if I need a high rise or a standard rise front gas block in regards to what sight i put in the front and rear?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I disagree. MSP is treating the date of the build as being the important date, NOT the date of purchase of the lower.

You can see this in how they are treating SBRs. You MAY NOT build an SBR shorter than 29" no matter when the lower was purchased. So the date of BUILD is what drives it. This is a change in MSP policy since the spring.

So, building it now, you would be building a banned firearm, and thus illegal.

IF you had assembled the lower and attached a pencil barrel upper to it before Oct 1, then it would have existed in banned form before Oct and could be returned to that form.

Your other option, built it as a pistol (if the lower was transferred as an O on the 77R and the proper pistol code on the 4473), with a 14.5" barrel (or down to a 10.3"), then SBR (no pinned/welded flash hider needed). SBRs can be any barrel profile.

As always, do what YOU feel is right/safe/legal, but this is my take, based on how MSP is telling BATFE to handle SBR requests.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    My build with a 10.5" inch barrel is > 29" OAL. You will be fine with a 14.5" and permanently attached flash suppressor.

Feb 28, 2013
    I would say that on a pre-ban lower, build it however you like. Technically, Pinecone may be right. But one way to avoid that ever becoming an issue is to pay cash for all your parts. That way no post-ban purchase dates can be connected to your pre-ban lower.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    But...did you fire the complete setup? That is the only way to alert the tracking chip embedded in the aluminum that an M4 upper was attached! :lol2:

I assembled all mine completely as stated above but I actually did this ^ with 2 of my lowers. Then did photos with email time stamps.

The tin foil was thick that day my friend, THICK!

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    If you purchased a pre-ban lower then build whatever you want. If your paper work has a purchase and receive date prior to October 1st 2013 then one can only assume you build the rifle prior to October 1st.

How is anyone but yourself going to know what you built and when you built it? Yea, if you order parts online there is going to be a paper trail but nothing in the law states we can't upgrade or replace parts on banned configurations. Who's to say you didn't build your rifle with parts you had laying around your house prior to October 1st. I can't even tell you how many parts I have laying around that I either paid cash for or acquired through trades. None of them have a paper trail.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I would say that on a pre-ban lower, build it however you like. Technically, Pinecone may be right. But one way to avoid that ever becoming an issue is to pay cash for all your parts. That way no post-ban purchase dates can be connected to your pre-ban lower.

And maybe not talk about it on a public forum.

OOOPS, too late.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom