• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    If I have an M16 (FA), could I convert it from three position (Safe/Semi/Auto) to four position (Safe/Semi/Burst/Auto)?

Does it need to be registered again or is the whole concept a no-no?

Dave

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Really?

I don't have any NFA toys, and I know exactly "0" about this; but -

Since it is already an Auto capable firearm, isn't it already class 3? So would seem to me, adding a burst or auto capability is irrelevant?

I'm guessing you two are already PM'ing one another; I'm just curious.

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    Yes...it is legal. You can go from burst to full auto to both. As far as the atf is concerned, it is a machine gun no matter how many rounds come out when you pull the trigger.

ViperRy

May 26, 2009
    Annapolis, MD
    From my understanding, if you have a registered MG lower then you can put a 4 way selector kit in. Not possible if it is a RDIAS as the sear is different for burst.

***I am not a lawyer***

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Yes, you can put it in. It's not like you are making it "more" full-auto.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Sweet thanks. I don't have an M16....yet. Was just curious. Made sense it would be OK to do. Might ping BATFE and ask them for their official answer....if I can get one.

Dave

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Sweet thanks. I don't have an M16....yet. Was just curious. Made sense it would be OK to do. Might ping BATFE and ask them for their official answer....if I can get one.

Dave

ATF doesn't care how you configure your machine gun. FA, 3 round burst, still a machine gun.

clay pigeon

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 5, 2012
    You can do it but, You will need to remove at least one of the two selector stops. I dont believe i would grind on a 20,000.00 dollar reciver and do that.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Did he remove the "stops" on the lower so I spin more than 180 degrees?

He has a red aluminum plate on the side with the 4 selector positions marked like the picture below. It would require the removal of one stop. Or you could mill out the back of the selector lever as shown in the picture below.

Attachments

• Burst plate.jpg
      Burst plate.jpg
      45.9 KB · Views: 502

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    As others stated, yes its perfectly legal to do. The real question is why do it? Yeah its a cool feature to have I guess but do you really want something limiting you to three rounds? Why not just take quick trigger pulls. Also I believe with the way these 3 round burst work, is that if you shoot two shots, you will follow up with a single. In other words you are not reset to three rounds if you are quick on the trigger. The whole idea of three round burst was to limit Soldiers fire capacity so they would not dump mags. Well thats a third party limiting the soldier. Why limit yourself? Just learn proper trigger control and save the cost of the burst kit. From what I hear, most get it, install it and removed it fairly quickly. It makes the selector kind of a pain as it can now turn a full 360. I have a M16 coming and decided against this feature, for what its worth.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    As others stated, yes its perfectly legal to do. The real question is why do it? Yeah its a cool feature to have I guess but do you really want something limiting you to three rounds? Why not just take quick trigger pulls. Also I believe with the way these 3 round burst work, is that if you shoot two shots, you will follow up with a single. In other words you are not reset to three rounds if you are quick on the trigger. The whole idea of three round burst was to limit Soldiers fire capacity so they would not dump mags. Well thats a third party limiting the soldier. Why limit yourself? Just learn proper trigger control and save the cost of the burst kit. From what I hear, most get it, install it and removed it fairly quickly. It makes the selector kind of a pain as it can now turn a full 360. I have a M16 coming and decided against this feature, for what its worth.

See I dunno, I feel like I could be more accurate if I don't have to worry about getting off the trigger really fast. At least for me when I shoot for accuracy, it is nice to be able to just concentrate on using minimum pressure pulling the trigger straight back and limiting sight disruption.

I wouldn't choose 3rd burst over FA but if you can have both why not?

I am also a fan of the Navy Mp5s that have a 2 round burst. Seems like the best option when there are potential good guys in the same room. Double tap.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I have the 3 round burst feature on an AC556 and an FNC. Dont really use it, except for when im letting newbies shoot the guns.

Trigger control and doing short burst is so much better. if 3 round burst is put into guns with really high cyclic rates, ( mac, micro uzi, P90 etc) then it would be awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom