• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I have a 10.3" DD MK 18 upper. Just about 30 inches. It'd be very close but I doubt yours would be >29".

TNW

Jan 27, 2014
    I guess I'm just kind of confused about the OAL requirements... Because it seems ok to have a 7.5" barrel SBR but that doesn't meet the OAL... Sorry if I'm being dense.

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    I guess I'm just kind of confused about the OAL requirements... Because it seems ok to have a 7.5" barrel SBR but that doesn't meet the OAL... Sorry if I'm being dense.

Dont worry about it, things are very confusing. The problem is though, people are assuming that MSP is going to subject ar15 platform SBRs to the copycat test. That in fact is unknown at this current time. Not sure why people are throwing it around like it is now the standard.

ar15 platform SBRs may be subject to the ALG ban, copycat test, or be left alone. In the case of being only subjected to the copycat test is where the 29"<OAL comes into play.

Even IF subjected to the ALG, I dont see how a hbar sbr could be illegal. Considering MSP is only concerned with "barrel profile" But remember anything that isnt banned by the ALG must also pass the copycat test requirements. OAL length and other "evil" features

The issue is, approval for SBR comes back in 3+ months depending on which way you file it. Im assuming that MSP will clarify their stance on ar15 SBRs in that time frame.

TNW

Jan 27, 2014
    Thank you so much for the detailed reply... I have no idea what I should put on the form1. Should I just do 10.5 to be "safe"?
    Also, am I no longer able to put "multi-cal" on the lower?

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    Thank you so much for the detailed reply... I have no idea what I should put on the form1. Should I just do 10.5 to be "safe"?

go ahead. Ill run a scenario with you.

Say MSP decides just to leave ar15 SBRs alone. Whenever you get your stamp back from the ATF, just send them a letter stating you've permanently changed the barrel length from 10.5 to whatever desired length. (Only need to notify them of a permanent changes)

If they say ar15 platform SBRs arent covered by the ALG ban, but have to comply with the copycat test, then you'll be fine at 10.5 with the right buffer tube/stock set up.

TNW

Jan 27, 2014
    go ahead. Ill run a scenario with you.

Say MSP decides just to leave ar15 SBRs alone. Whenever you get your stamp back from the ATF, just send them a letter stating you've permanently changed the barrel length from 10.5 to whatever desired length. (Only need to notify them of a permanent changes)

If they say ar15 platform SBRs arent covered by the ALG ban, but have to comply with the copycat test, then you'll be fine at 10.5 with the right buffer tube/stock set up.

Thank you so much. But as it stands right now, is there/what is the OAL requirement, because the way you phrased the above, it gives me the impression that I could go ahead and do 7.5 barring any change in a few months.

Again thank you for your explanation and I apologize for being so dense... Really struggling to grasp this.

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    Thank you so much. But as it stands right now, is there/what is the OAL requirement, because the way you phrased the above, it gives me the impression that I could go ahead and do 7.5 barring any change in a few months.

Again thank you for your explanation and I apologize for being so dense... Really struggling to grasp this.

Correct. Under 26" or barrel under 16" is considered SBR to the ATF. My approval for my 7.5 came mid January made from a pre oct1st lower

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT

We do not know MSP's interpretation on the issue right now. The 29" OAL applies to rifles. An SBR should not be a rifle under MD law, but we simply do not know right now. Also of interest is whether an SBR of an Assault Long Gun is also an ALG or not. Again, we don't know.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Dont worry about it, things are very confusing. The problem is though, people are assuming that MSP is going to subject ar15 platform SBRs to the copycat test. That in fact is unknown at this current time. Not sure why people are throwing it around like it is now the standard.

ar15 platform SBRs may be subject to the ALG ban, copycat test, or be left alone. In the case of being only subjected to the copycat test is where the 29"<OAL comes into play.

Even IF subjected to the ALG, I dont see how a hbar sbr could be illegal. Considering MSP is only concerned with "barrel profile" But remember anything that isnt banned by the ALG must also pass the copycat test requirements. OAL length and other "evil" features

The issue is, approval for SBR comes back in 3+ months depending on which way you file it. Im assuming that MSP will clarify their stance on ar15 SBRs in that time frame.

PER the MSP dealer briefings, regardless of barrel profile, if it is under 29" then it is a prohibited item to purchase under then copycat test.

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    We do not know MSP's interpretation on the issue right now. The 29" OAL applies to rifles. An SBR should not be a rifle under MD law, but we simply do not know right now. Also of interest is whether an SBR of an Assault Long Gun is also an ALG or not. Again, we don't know.

PER the MSP dealer briefings, regardless of barrel profile, if it is under 29" then it is a prohibited item to purchase under then copycat test.

My intent was: Colt Hbar sporter is a named exception on the ALG list. and MSP right now hasnt stopped the sale of ar15 hbar based on "barrel profile" for the rifle. Therefore a legal derivative of such, like a hbar sbr could be legal.

But like nate said, a SBR should not be a rifle. I just dont have faith in the MSP to see that logic. I mean look at the current state of stripped lowers.

TNW

Jan 27, 2014

Does that also mean it is prohibited to own/make? Because what it sounded like before was that if the original configuration was over 29, I could later drop it... Or since I am assembling/making but not manufacturing it seemed ok...

Again guys I'm sorry for any questions that may seem stupid, I really have done due diligence in researching this, but the information either seems dated, conflicting, vague, or there is some other issue with it that leads me to further enquire. It's my first form 1 too...

SB281 Blaster

Feb 4, 2014
    Queenstown
    Has anyone submitted an SBR under 29" to the MSP post 10/1/2013? Or, are we just waiting for an "Advisory" from them before submitting? I think we are all in agreement that an SBR HBAR over 28.99" OAL and with only one listed copycat feature should go through. There is some discussion that OAL is with the removable muzzle device removed, or not removed. I am leaning toward removed, but I would like to be convinced otherwise.

TNW

Jan 27, 2014
    Just spoke with a reputable FFL and was told post 10/01 Form 1 SBRs are good to go providing they meet the OAL requirement.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    What we need is a collapsible stock that will extend 18". Then we are GTG with just about anything.

TNW

Jan 27, 2014
    What we need is a collapsible stock that will extend 18". Then we are GTG with just about anything.

>Go-go gadget telescoping stock

Does anyone have a collection of stocks that could provide us with some insight to what the longest one is? I doubt anything makes much of a difference... But I really want to do the 8.5 build.

The UBR stock looks like it has a piece that mounts on the buffer tube that the stock rides on.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013

How would this work .
    Weld a tab onto the stock lock ring and attach what ever length tube to it , the stock would sit below it , the tube you made to get over 29 in would then go over your shoulder .

Still confused on the muzzle device must be permanently attached but the stock doesnt

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    How would this work .
    Weld a tab onto the stock lock ring and attach what ever length tube to it , the stock would sit below it , the tube you made to get over 29 in would then go over your shoulder .

It could be done something like this. Smallest tube would be the size of the buffer tube but the inside diameter of the stock would match the largest tube. It could be made so one tube at a time comes out and locks into place in 2" or so increments.

CF-Telecoping-Uni2-sml.jpg

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    How would this work .

Still confused on the muzzle device must be permanently attached but the stock doesnt

Saw a error in my thinking :) charging handle . That would have to be modified or it would have to go underneath.

It could be done something like this. Smallest tube would be the size of the buffer tube but the inside diameter of the stock would match the largest tube. It could be made so one tube at a time comes out and locks into place in 2" or so increments.

CF-Telecoping-Uni2-sml.jpg

similar idea but if the smallest tube doesn't fit the stock how would you lock the stock to the smallest tube ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom