• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    I'm thinking about picking up 3 suppressors and two of them I have no immediate plans for, meaning I have no idea what gun or barrel they will go on, and hence no idea what thread size I should choose. Are there generic or most common thread sizes per caliber?

The two unknowns will be a 45 and a 9mm. The sizes available to me are...

45 - 578-28, M16x1 LH or RH, 5/8"x24

9mm - 1/2"x28, 32 or 36, M13.5X1 LH,

Thoughts, suggestions, snide remarks? All are welcome.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    I'm thinking about picking up 3 suppressors and two of them I have no immediate plans for, meaning I have no idea what gun or barrel they will go on, and hence no idea what thread size I should choose. Are there generic or most common thread sizes per caliber?

You're pretty much on point. 9mm - 1/2x28, and 45 ACP - .578x28, are the most popular thread pitches for those calibers. If your unknown future gun manufacturer doesn't make those thread pitches, you can get a custom barrel made with no problem. Although, custom barrels always take forever and cost a pretty penny. I had Bar-Sto make my Sig 226 9mm in 1/2x28, as I didn't want another thread pitch for my Osprey 45, and Sig had their own pitch. It took approximately four months and $300 for the barrel, but was well worth it.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The M16x1 and M13.5x1 are BETTER thread patterns as the suppressors tend to not shoot loose on those pitches/designs.

Any Handgun suppressor worth its salt has interchangeable booster pistons that you can get another thread pitch for. You DONT use thread adaptors on Semi Auto Handguns, you change the booster.

Some good 9mm cans that are user serviceable work quite well on .22 Rimfire such as the Silencerco Octane 9 HD

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Like clandestine had stated. The European Lh metric thread patterns are better. They go against the rifling twist to tighten the can with every shot.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck

Buying 2 cans that you don't own a gun for....must have a tax return cash burning a hole in your pocket :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom