• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Quick look at it by MAC (who says it's looking like it'll cost less than a Tavor).

I watched this the other day too. I have to say it does look awesome.

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    I wonder how well that poly magwell will stand up to rocking in steel mags over the years?

Creative dust cover. Curious about how many reciprocating reps before spring failure? Either way I guess a replacement will just be part of the maintenance schedule.

Ugly sucker but form follows function, etc. I like it. The improvements have promise.

dgtaurus

Feb 17, 2011
    Pasadena
    standard size model as well, might be a better option for guys who want a ful size AKish rifle in MD

So the full size models are good to go for us? Is there any SB281 hang ups for these?

Nvmd I saw someone elses answer. I guess it all comes down to an IP stocking. Im sure Engage and Duffys will be involved.

dgtaurus

Feb 17, 2011
    Pasadena
    Ugly sucker but form follows function, etc. I like it. The improvements have promise.

Besides the stock I like the looks of it. I wonder how difficult it would be to switch it out? Im sure if it takes off someone is gonna jump on making aftermarket stuff. Some of the CAA and FAB defense stuff has a cheap look to it though. No matter what ill be in line to get one. Awesome news.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    I wonder how well that poly magwell will stand up to rocking in steel mags over the years?

Should not be an issue. Not all polymers are equal and this is not Tapco crap.

This rifle has already been adopted by Colombia, Chile, El Salvador, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Mexico, Peru, South Sudan, Ukraine, and Vietnam so it is already a proven system considering most of those places are warzones with extreme climates. Peru, Ukraine, and Vietnam are going to build them under license. If this rifle was truly a POS they would not have bought it and stuck with their AK's/whatever they were using.

The ACE is not some Bushmaster ACR, SIG 556, or Remington R51 that was just flung on the market with no track record and questionable QC.

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    Besides the stock I like the looks of it. I wonder how difficult it would be to switch it out? Im sure if it takes off someone is gonna jump on making aftermarket stuff. Some of the CAA and FAB defense stuff has a cheap look to it though. No matter what ill be in line to get one. Awesome news.

Tell you what, I like what I see when I look at it functionally though.

8.5” barrel doesn’t do much for me but I’d be all in on chopping 16” down to ~12.5”. Maybe I'd even get balance gains similar to an AK-104.

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    Should not be an issue. Not all polymers are equal and this is not Tapco crap.

This rifle has already been adopted by Colombia, Chile, El Salvador, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Mexico, Peru, South Sudan, Ukraine, and Vietnam so it is already a proven system considering most of those places are warzones with extreme climates. Peru, Ukraine, and Vietnam are going to build them under license. If this rifle was truly a POS they would not have bought it and stuck with their AK's/whatever they were using.

The ACE is not some Bushmaster ACR, SIG 556, or Remington R51 that was just flung on the market with no track record and questionable QC.

Didn't see this before. Thanks for the input. I honestly don’t expect a build quality issue (for the reason you stated). It’s already passed through procurement vetting by a few governments.

It just doesn’t have a lot of mileage on it yet. Nothing wrong with that and my expectation is it’ll be well built.

Using polymer in the receiver of a semi auto rifle (that's built to be rugged) is still a pretty new concept for me. Wouldn’t stop me from buying an ACE though.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Looked like you could unscrew it from the topcover, but not so sure about the gas tube. IMHO, neither is all that optimal for an optic mount.

I am undecided about whether I'd trust the gas tube or topcover mount more. The Israelis understood that the original Galil had issues with the rear sight being topcover-mounted and shifting, so I'm wondering if the ACE's dovetail rail connection is an effort to make the whole system a little more solid and repeatable.

IMHO, the better solution would have been to modify the receiver design so that it went all the way up in the back... this would have provided a stable mounting point for the rear sight. Would have had interesting knock-on changes for the topcover and spring assembly, though.

Feb 28, 2013
    Just my personal preference, but if I want modularity I'll buy an AR, which I already have.

I would have to try and make one of these as close to the original Galil as I could get it. Again, that pesky purist in me.:)

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I would have to try and make one of these as close to the original Galil as I could get it. Again, that pesky purist in me.:)
    You're not being a purist when you take one rifle and try to make it into a different one. The Galil ACE is not the original Galil, and doesn't even look like it with modified furniture due to the receiver and sight differences. What you're describing is basically like buying an AK-105 to make it look like an AKM... it's something that should turn the stomach of a purist, not excite them.

Want to be a purist? Buy a Golani off Gunbroker, have it directly shipped off to TennGalil for fixing and a chop to SAR length, and then have him send it back to you on a form 4. Won't be super-cheap, but at least you'll wind up something that looks like a real Galil. Heck, even a CNCW receiver with a Galil SAR parts kit... that should run you like $1750 with build and tax stamp. Not out of this world for a good rifle, IMHO.

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    Looked like you could unscrew it from the topcover, but not so sure about the gas tube. IMHO, neither is all that optimal for an optic mount.

Yep I saw the screwed-in dustcover rail in that MAC article. There wasn't a good gas tube view but I just don’t see how to solidly mount it without holes.

I am undecided about whether I'd trust the gas tube or topcover mount more. The Israelis understood that the original Galil had issues with the rear sight being topcover-mounted and shifting, so I'm wondering if the ACE's dovetail rail connection is an effort to make the whole system a little more solid and repeatable.

To me that's what the dovetail looks like; better but not perfect. Like you said, it was a known problem so I’m eager to see some feedback once they’re in the wild.

IMHO, the better solution would have been to modify the receiver design so that it went all the way up in the back... this would have provided a stable mounting point for the rear sight. Would have had interesting knock-on changes for the topcover and spring assembly, though.

Funny you mention that. First thought when I saw it was keep the milled receiver but why not include a front pivot and create an upper so repeatable zero is no longer a problem. Stay true to the AK action and build up the rest of the design much more ruggedly than say, a 556R but with the DNA of a Galil.

Would’ve probably been scrapped from a technical standpoint for several reasons. Thought it’d be interesting though.

Just my personal preference, but if I want modularity I'll buy an AR, which I already have.

I hear you. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom