• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    95 degrees with as much humidity with afternoon thunderstorms. All this with an almost full moon tonight. I would bet there's not going to be much movement tomorrow. Probably going to be a tough week to come with the full moon. All of the deer with corn plots to feed from will probably eat overnight and bed down for the most part all day long. If I were to hunt tomorrow, I'd hunt somewhere near water or along their trail leading to water. I would not come out of the woods for lunch. As hot as it's going to be tomorrow, they will only move for water.

Good luck to all and think about me nursing this back while everyone is out sweating under their camo gear.

Jim Smith

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    95 degrees with as much humidity with afternoon thunderstorms. All this with an almost full moon tonight. I would bet there's not going to be much movement tomorrow. Probably going to be a tough week to come with the full moon. All of the deer with corn plots to feed from will probably eat overnight and bed down for the most part all day long. If I were to hunt tomorrow, I'd hunt somewhere near water or along their trail leading to water. I would not come out of the woods for lunch. As hot as it's going to be tomorrow, they will only move for water.

Good luck to all and think about me nursing this back while everyone is out sweating under their camo gear.

Jim Smith

Entire week is supposed to be like this then cool down. Really was tempted to go out but as I stepped outgof my office I was like, no thank you.

TrappedinMD

Dec 15, 2011
    Western MD
    WOOOOO!!! First bow kill ever for me and on opening day! :) took 3.5 hours tracking blood through heavy brush but I got it home :) Did i get the first kill on MDshooters?

Attachments

• bowkilldoe.jpg
      bowkilldoe.jpg
      21.3 KB · Views: 490

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Congrats on your first deer this season. I would think you just may be the first MDS to score a deer. Now get out there and harvest a nice 6-10 pointer. Since you already have the meat, might as well go for the horns.

Great shooting!
    Jim Smith

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    WOOOOO!!! First bow kill ever for me and on opening day! :) took 3.5 hours tracking blood through heavy brush but I got it home :) Did i get the first kill on MDshooters?

YES! Another one falls to a Noob.

Great tracking job.

Congrats and may you get many more.

You have the first posted kill and with a pic to prove it.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Had my surgery this morning, when I got home, the wife went to get the memory card out of the trail camera. NOTHING from last night til 1pm today. First time this has happened since August 1st. I have pictures of 2 foxes and a raccoon but not one picture of any deer.

How do they do that?
    Jim Smith

LOL 2 foxes. That's what gets me excited, rather than pics of deer. Unless it's a nice buck or a piebald.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    LOL 2 foxes. That's what gets me excited, rather than pics of deer. Unless it's a nice buck or a piebald.

I've got about 5 foxes in my backyard everyday/night. When I let the dog out at night, they start yelping. I've got one that is really strange in coloration. He's almost got a white face, nowhere near as red as the others and has a softball sized white spot on his tail. Another that looks like he may have had mange last year, but the rest are beautiful. I told the wife we may have a full body mount fox in my man's cave if I don't get a shot at that 10 pointer.

After this back surgery, I'm scheduled to have my left knee replaced on October 6th. So after that, I'm done with hunting for the season. I may be able to get some late hunting in, but around here, if you don't score within the first 2-3 weeks, the deer scatter and aren't seen no where near enough to reliably hunt any type of trail.

Jim Smith

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    I'll show you my picture the first weekend after Thanksgiving with bambie dead and a big old 12 gauge slug hole above the shoulder blade.

TrappedinMD

Dec 15, 2011
    Western MD
    Thanks guys! It was a pretty amazing feeling both to "stick it" and to actually find it. I butchered it that night and its all in the freezer now!

HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    Small Doe

Well I got my first deer of the season this morning. Shot a doe but was shocked by how much smaller it was when I found it compared to what it looked like at 20 yards when the arrow flew. Figure it's probably a yearling but should be plenty tender when I cook it!

Attachments

• WP_000732.jpg
      WP_000732.jpg
      98.9 KB · Views: 343

Dave

Ultimate Member
    Jul 10, 2008
    Gamber, Marylanistan
    so I was too tired over the weekend, but I figure it's still worth sharing. Here's my opening day experience. first time bow hunting.

As you know, it was 90 and humid Friday. I have all my hunting stuff ready to do the night before, and in hind sight, I should have added some new clothes to the list this year. I'm rocking the same shells I wear in Nov. BIG MISTAKE.

Anyway, we're hiking into Liberty by 5AM, and need to go what seems like a half mile in over rough terrain. I'm hunting with a guy that knows the area and gets a deer out of there almost every opening day. we get to his tree, and he says go 50-60 paces up that hill and find a good tree, so off I go. By the time I find a tree, I'm already sweating a little and regretting my choice of clothes and the amount of crap I've humped into the woods. Up the tree I go using my borrowed climber that I barely practiced with. just enough to make sure I could secure it to the tree.

If you're guessing it didn't go well, bonus points for you. I FINALLY make it up the tree after struggling a lot and almost losing the platform twice. tree was a little too big I guess. I am ****ing exhausted and dripping wet. ready to pass out. I drink some water, doesn't help. I pour 1/2 my ice water over my head and am in heaven. I radio my buddy saying I finally made it. he tells me to just relax and cool down. While relaxing, I drop the radio, and I'm sure as shit not going down to get it. I call him and let him know we'll just have to text back and forth. I'm feeling a little better at this point, so I pull up the xbow and my bag. naturally in the process I manage to drop my phone as well. now I have no covert communication and no way to tell time (I gotta be out of there by 3 at the latest).

We both see a deer come up the hill outta range, and he tries to call me, but of course my cell is down on the ground hanging out with the walkie. I tough out the heat and make it to lunch. enjoy my sandwich and polish off the rest of the water. Since I'm w/o a clock, I figure it's getting time to go b/c the sun is halfway to the horizon. I start my descent, again almost losing the platform, but at least in the process figure out the best way to move this stand up and down: bear-hug the tree while leaning on the secured seat and move the platform with my thighs and legs. trying to just move it up and down with my feet under the bar didn't work for shit.

finally have my feet back on solid earth and retrieve my phone only to see that it's not close to 3, not even 2, it's still 10:30 in the facking morning. I give my buddy a call and tell him I'm back on the radio. Ask him if he ever pulls deer outta there around mid day, which he has, so after some consideration, back up the tree I go. albeit, this time a little more successfully. hang out for another 3 hours, don't see shit, and finally leave at 2pm. 3:30 I get a text, and sure enough a massive buck just walked halfway down the hill past where my stand was before bolting.

Hey, valuable lessons learned. I also lost 6 pounds of water weight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom