• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Caught me with my hand in the cookie jar, I have to concede it is slimmer in that aspect but when i handled it just did not feel any different. But what i meant by it was slimmer i think i wasn't making myself clear or rather wasn't using the proper terminology. like with the whole front to back feel on the grip and how the muzzle is like cut down in the front is what i meant by "slimmer" on the g26 when i handled the 42 i didn't see any drastic improvements along those lines to make me to impulse by a 42.

I'm with you and I understand bro I'm not for/against. I'll end up buying one and selling my LCP w/ pocket clip, ankle holster, and low round count and buying a 42 because I'll admit I'm a glock fan boy. They aren't the best pistols at EVERYTHING but they IMHO are the best all around.

I've got/had a bunch :)

380s almost to expensive to carry these days hahaha.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    I've been eyeballing these too. I have an LCP that has done okay, but after a few hundred rounds I get some barrel peening. I sent it in to Ruger and they replaced the slide and barrel...but now it's starting to do it again. It hasn't yet caused any malfunctions but I don't exactly want to wait for it to start. It's kind of a hassle. Granted, Ruger's customer service made the process pretty smooth, but how many times am I going to have to send it in? Will they even fix it if it isn't causing malfunctions yet?

Sorry got off on a tangent there. I was looking for a 42 as an alternative to the LCP, but the LCP is just so damned small. I'm sure the glock shoots ten times better, though.

I just wish they would release a single stack 9mm already!!!!!! They could have had the market if they didn't wait so long.

Interested to see how everyone likes their G42s.

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    I just bought a Glock 42 but haven't had a chance to get it to the range yet. I also had a 26 but sold it recently. I really like the feel and ergonomics of the 42, much more so than my Glock 26 and I have medium-to-small hands. I have a small collection of .380s in various sizes and capacities - Colt Govt Model, Sig P238, Beretta 84FS, Bersa Thunder Plus (15 round version), CZ 83, and a Taurus PT638 PRO SA that I haven't received yet, and I'm looking forward to firing the 42 and comparing it.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I have handled the G 42 but not shot one. Even being a "Glock Guy", I don't really feel the love.

If i wanted to carry something in .380, I would get something smaller like a Ruger or Kahr. That way, what I lose in power I can gain in concealability. The G 42 is big enough for a 9mm cartridge, as best I can tell. Put a G 42 next to a CM9 and they are pretty much the same size and hold the same number of rounds. Given that, if I wanted a slim single-stack that size, I would choose 9mm.

If Glock releases a similar model in 9mm, I will look at it pretty hard. Until then...

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    I have handled the G 42 but not shot one. Even being a "Glock Guy", I don't really feel the love.

If i wanted to carry something in .380, I would get something smaller like a Ruger or Kahr. That way, what I lose in power I can gain in concealability. The G 42 is big enough for a 9mm cartridge, as best I can tell. Put a G 42 next to a CM9 and they are pretty much the same size and hold the same number of rounds. Given that, if I wanted a slim single-stack that size, I would choose 9mm.

If Glock releases a similar model in 9mm, I will look at it pretty hard. Until then...

I can agree, except the Ruger LCP trigger sucks - had one and sold it. As far as CCW options, the only .380s that I would probably ever carry would be the Sig 238, and possibly the G42, and both only in a pocket-carry situation. I have a PM9 and a Kimber Solo CDP (and I love both) and they are great carry options.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    I can agree, except the Ruger LCP trigger sucks - had one and sold it. As far as CCW options, the only .380s that I would probably ever carry would be the Sig 238, and possibly the G42, and both only in a pocket-carry situation. I have a PM9 and a Kimber Solo CDP (and I love both) and they are great carry options.

LCP trigger does suck but MAN is that thing tiny. Perfect ankle gun for a cop or a deep concealment gun.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    LCP trigger is tough to like because the pull is so long. In a way, that long pull doubles as a safety. LCP is tough to beat for a new mouse gun, though, especially in summer clothes.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Just curious if you 42 owners feel safe carrying it as a pocket gun? I handled one in a shop the other day and liked it. Anyone ever use one of those Glock plugs that go behind the trigger to prevent ND? I've had a PPK for years, my first hand gun, but have never been in love with it.

Pretoria78

URX Fan
    Mar 30, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Just curious if you 42 owners feel safe carrying it as a pocket gun? I handled one in a shop the other day and liked it. Anyone ever use one of those Glock plugs that go behind the trigger to prevent ND? I've had a PPK for years, my first hand gun, but have never been in love with it.

I would, IF carrying in an appropriate holster. I've got a pocket holster on order for my 42, and currently have the excellent DSG clip on holster.

Eagerly awaiting the first holster to come in and put it thru the paces.

My only real gripe about this handgun is that my wife now wants one of her own. :D

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009

A sucky trigger is okay with me for a gun like this. I handled Mike Pannone's LCP at his class this summer, and when I gripped it with two hands, he said something to me like "don't bother with the two-handed grip. This is a 'get off me gun'". He had the CTC laser on his, which gives it a little more downrange potential, but otherwise it is something to be used at very close ranges, where trigger control is less important than reliably going bang each time you press the trigger. If that is all that Pannone views as its niche, I am not going to get any more potential out of it than he can, I assure you.

I plan to try out both the LCP and Kahr 380 if I can find one of each to rent. In the meantime, I see no need--FOR ME--for the G42.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Bought the 42 and LCP at the same time. I like the Glock. The LCP is when i need something a little smaller to conceal. The 42 feels like a Glock. Made in the USA.

ashershapiro

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 11, 2014
    I got a 42 about 2 months ago and love it. Ive fire 150 rounds of freedom munitions reman, and about 5 rounds of Federal Hydro shock through it and I had no malfunctions. The recoil is light compared to a lcp or bodyguard.

I used to carry a G27 around and that thing is like lugging a brick. The 42 with the crossbreed micro holster is worlds better.

Oh and I bought Mag guts extender from Galloway precision. It adds and extra round without extending the size of the magazine. I was worried about reliability with it, but is has functioned flawlessly. So right now I can carry 8 rounds in my 42, not bad.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    I have the G42 and put about 250 rounds through it so far. I still don't really get why Glock went with .380 but I'm sure they had some reason. My Alien Gear holster just arrived for the G42 and the verdict is....I'm sticking with the Shield in 9mm (or .40) in my Crossbreed holster.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    I have the G42 and put about 250 rounds through it so far. I still don't really get why Glock went with .380 but I'm sure they had some reason. My Alien Gear holster just arrived for the G42 and the verdict is....I'm sticking with the Shield in 9mm (or .40) in my Crossbreed holster.
    How much for the 42?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I plan to try out both the LCP and Kahr 380 if I can find one of each to rent. In the meantime, I see no need--FOR ME--for the G42.

Try a P3AT too. I like the trigger on it better than the other micros. Bought one and its as reliable as anything else in my safe.

The 42 is what it is ... a Glock .380 ... too big to justify as a concealed carry compared to the competition, but great as a Glock .380

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    LCP trigger does suck but MAN is that thing tiny. Perfect ankle gun for a cop or a deep concealment gun.

The ONLY thing about mine that I liked was that with the right pants, it would fit perfectly in the COIN pocket of some jeans if big enough.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    A sucky trigger is okay with me for a gun like this. I handled Mike Pannone's LCP at his class this summer, and when I gripped it with two hands, he said something to me like "don't bother with the two-handed grip. This is a 'get off me gun'". He had the CTC laser on his, which gives it a little more downrange potential, but otherwise it is something to be used at very close ranges, where trigger control is less important than reliably going bang each time you press the trigger. If that is all that Pannone views as its niche, I am not going to get any more potential out of it than he can, I assure you.

I agree. Unless you are a Glock fanboy, go with an LCP or Kahr. The triggers are safer (yes, they have long trigger pulls; that is by design. It's much safer for this function. ) I have an LCP for pocket carry and a Kahr 45 for baggy clothes pocket carry or winter carry.

I've since added a crimson trace laser to it and got an identical holster, just fitted to hold the pistol with laser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom