Third, final, pre production water cooled Ruger 10/22 prototype.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bill Akins

Mar 24, 2008
    PROVISIONAL PATENT PENDING.

The 3rd improved, pre production water cooled Ruger 10/22 prototype Browning style, machine gun dress up kit is coming along nicely and is almost finished.
    This 3rd prototype of mine, incorporates all the things I learned in making the first two prototypes. It also has numerous improvements built into it.

As with the first two prototypes, it will be crank fired like a gatling gun using an accessory crank fire trigger attachment.

The same standardized aluminum stock, can be quick changed between being a Browning style air cooled 1919, to a 1917 TRULY water cooled model in just a minute. It also has a built in bolt recoil buffer and has a one inch longer receiver and water jacket that cools one inch more of the barrel than my previous water cooled prototype did. It also has a redesigned top cover as well as redesigned back and front fake receiver covers. It is the best of the three prototypes and incorporates all the good features of the first two prototypes, with simplification and improvements over them as well.

As with the first two prototypes, there is no modification to the Ruger 10/22 receiver in any way.

Below are some pictures taken yesterday of the 3rd prototype as it is progressing to an almost finished point. Hopefully it will be completely finished by next week or the week after that. Then it will be polished out and anodized.

Below, my friend Pete, holding it.

2198913540099763970S600x600Q85.jpg

2999594260099763970S600x600Q85.jpg

These are not yet for sale. There will be four of these built soon to start with. Cost has not yet been determined. Let me know if you want one and I will put you on a list to contact when they are done and we have pricing. You can contact me at Akins_Bill@yahoo.com

THE HEAVY BULL BARREL WILL COME WITH THE KIT. You will have to have your own Ruger 10/22 receiver and trigger group. We will have a mount that comes with the kit that allows you to attach the kit to a full size M2 tripod, the Browning 1917 or 1928 tripod and also an adapter block as an optional accessory to allow you to attach the kit to a standard camera tripod since not everyone has a machine gun tripod and the camera tripod works great. I use one on my air cooled prototype. You can find the "BMF activator" crank fire trigger attachment at Cabella's or other dealers online for an average of about $25.00

Last edited:

Bill Akins

Mar 24, 2008
    You got it. Here's a link to the FIRST water cooled model firing. This 3rd prototype will fire just like it does.

If you look at the link in my above post for the 2nd prototype segment, it has a link in it for the first air cooled version firing as well as the first water cooled prototype firing as well. Those were prototypes 1 & 2. This new one is the improved final 3rd prototype that will be the production model.

But it will fire just like the first water cooled prototype does at this U tube link showing it firing.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFkGUC7Bo5U&feature=channel_page

There's also a slideshow on u tube of both earlier two prototypes.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F7f17m8TJM

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    A little more help novus, please. Is it not a machine gun because it requires being cranked to rapid fire, not using internal parts to maintain fire, thus not being a true automatic?

Yes, no, maybe?
    I...and I assume Mr. Akins especially...wished it was that simple!
    The inconsistent test for fully automatic by the ATF is the pulling of the finger to fire more than one shot, but what is "is" and what is "pulling".

Basically the ATF precedent on hand operated rotary devices which fire guns such as a 19th century Gatling gun is not one pull of the finger...er...something confusing. So there fore it is not a machine gun and by extension, neither is any device that is remotely similar.....hence this device in the video.

NOw Akins Accelerator was a device which involved bump fire which the ATF supposedly also allowed, but the much later claim by the ATF is that since it did not involve a turn of a crank or a "pull" of the finger to actuate another shot, it was a full auto because it is spring actuated from what I gather....BUT!!!!!...the muscular resistance of the finger upon return from recoil is impossible to determine or even deliniate as a "pull" or not so therefore I think Akins has been wronged by the ATF big time and so have we all because it leaves a wide lattitude about when intentional or unintentional bump fire is a ten year offense and it also leaves serious doubt about their consistency which puts their precedence in serious doubt too.

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    they make gatlin triggers that you just stick your finger in and rotate it around and you can fire at a pretty high rate of speed with that,it seems like a cool little novelty to put on a 10/22 and perfectly legal btw

Bill Akins

Mar 24, 2008
    they make gatlin triggers that you just stick your finger in and rotate it around and you can fire at a pretty high rate of speed with that,it seems like a cool little novelty to put on a 10/22 and perfectly legal btw

The crank fire trigger activator of which you speak, is called the "Gat trigger activator". It is essentially the same as the BMF activator, but instead of being designed to be turned by your fingers GRASPING the handle, instead you place the TIP of your trigger finger into the crank handle's THIMBLE shaped end. Then you just rotate your finger.

Last edited:

Bill Akins

Mar 24, 2008

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    That's fine if you don't mind buying two Ruger 10/22's instead of just one to install inside it, and also if you don't mind having a tripod whose legs look like the landing gear of a 1950's sci fi movie flying saucer. It also isn't water cooled and looks nothing like a Browning or any other kind of existing real machine gun.
    I think he meant if he had a place to fire it he would get that too. I mean let's face it, your newest creation is badass and who would not want to have it along with another wanted gun?! :D

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    You got it. Here's a link to the FIRST water cooled model firing. This 3rd prototype will fire just like it does.

If you look at the link in my above post for the 2nd prototype segment, it has a link in it for the first air cooled version firing as well as the first water cooled prototype firing as well. Those were prototypes 1 & 2. This new one is the improved final 3rd prototype that will be the production model.

But it will fire just like the first water cooled prototype does at this U tube link showing it firing.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFkGUC7Bo5U&feature=channel_page

There's also a slideshow on u tube of both earlier two prototypes.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F7f17m8TJM

Looks like tons of fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom