• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Greetings all,

I have a P08, P38 and Star model B. They all shoot 9mm Luger ammo. I want a P1 and was looking at the ones Century has. They are listed as rechambered in caliber 9x21mm. Isn't that in the 9mm family? P1 handguns were originally made for 9mm Luger right? When I get my P1 it will have the hex bolt reinforcement. Thanks for any input.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    9x21 is a obscure round. I personally have never even seen one. I believe it was a round developed by Israel and was used in countries that civilians were not allowed to own guns chambered in a police round. (9mm Luger, 9x19)

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Fiocchi still makes it, not sure if anyone else does. It's more popular overseas, but still fairly obscure I think.

Jul 1, 2012
    9x19 Luger (aka Parabellum) would probably be dangerous to shoot in that, I would think.
    P1 barrels in in 9mmP are pretty expensive IF you can find one. $150+

Browning Long is 9x21 but not sure if that's the same round (for instance, there's several 9x23 rounds that are actually different from one another).

I'd steer clear and buy one in the correct 9x19 - they are quite plentiful, just have to be patient.

Another point that's of great controversy is that a P1/P38 is only C&R if it is 50 years or older - ATF never gave an "exception" for them officially. Yes, several dealers sell them as C&R, but the Norwegian marked guns are the only ones to get an exception and that's it.

<sorry, typed slower than y'all did...>

Last edited:

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    Greetings all,

I have a P08, P38 and Star model B. They all shoot 9mm Luger ammo. I want a P1 and was looking at the ones Century has. They are listed as rechambered in caliber 9x21mm. Isn't that in the 9mm family? P1 handguns were originally made for 9mm Luger right? When I get my P1 it will have the hex bolt reinforcement. Thanks for any input.

Not all P1s have the hex bolt reinforcement so be sure to check before buying. Even with the hex bolt, like my P38s I don't shot hot ammo.

SOG is out of them now... since Century only has the 9x21 mm ones left, you probably will have to hit up the gun auctions and such to fine one chambered for the original 9x19. SOG and Century were the last 2 big retailers that had them that I know of. There is usually a bunch of them on gunbroker at any given time though.

9x19 Luger (aka Parabellum) would probably be dangerous to shoot in that, I would think.
    P1 barrels in in 9mmP are pretty expensive IF you can find one. $150+

Browning Long is 9x21 but not sure if that's the same round (for instance, there's several 9x23 rounds that are actually different from one another).

I'd steer clear and buy one in the correct 9x19 - they are quite plentiful, just have to be patient.

Another point that's of great controversy is that a P1/P38 is only C&R if it is 50 years or older - ATF never gave an "exception" for them officially. Yes, several dealers sell them as C&R, but the Norwegian marked guns are the only ones to get an exception and that's it.

<sorry, typed slower than y'all did...>

At the moment I'm in no hurry. I've been blowing up my C&R and wallet lately, they're both still white hot. I'll look around.

Not all P1s have the hex bolt reinforcement so be sure to check before buying. Even with the hex bolt, like my P38s I don't shot hot ammo.

SOG is out of them now... since Century only has the 9x21 mm ones left, you probably will have to hit up the gun auctions and such to fine one chambered for the original 9x19. SOG and Century were the last 2 big retailers that had them that I know of. There is usually a bunch of them on gunbroker at any given time though.

I've been browsing gunbroker since I've made this post. I'll need one made in 1964 or earlier. I look at the pictures to make sure the bolt is there. I'm in no hurry, there will always be P1s around.

Jul 1, 2012
    I forget when they added the hex pin, I want to say late 60's/early 70's?
    But many earlier guns were retro-fitted when refurbished.
    This pin doesn't make the pistol magically bullet-proof (pun intended) for +P loads, it just helps the fatigue life for standard loads.

I forget when they added the hex pin, I want to say late 60's/early 70's?
    But many earlier guns were retro-fitted when refurbished.
    This pin doesn't make the pistol magically bullet-proof (pun intended) for +P loads, it just helps the fatigue life for standard loads.

I never shoot hot stuff. Also, since I moved to PA I can cash and carry if I find a nice P1 locally. In fact, I may need one with and without the hex bolt. :D

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I have a hex bolt P1 from SOG. P1 is a very well made gun. Its been rearsinaled several times but stamped to match. shoots REALLY well. Just shot it yesterday.
    P1/P38, Must have C&R item IMO
    I got a spare mag at a PA gun show last year for $20

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    9x21 is a obscure round. I personally have never even seen one. I believe it was a round developed by Israel and was used in countries that civilians were not allowed to own guns chambered in a police round. (9mm Luger, 9x19)

Yes, also called 9mm IMI. Developed by the Israeli Military Institute to get around bans against using military caliber ammo. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9×21mm

Starline makes brass for it, and Hornady makes a 9x19/9x21 reloaing die set, so you could always reload.

It is commercially available. http://ammoseek.com/ammo/9x21mm

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Seem to remember this round being popular in Italy because they ban civilian use of military rounds. Have seen Hi Powers, Berettas, Benellis, Walthers, etc chambered for this puppy. You see the same thing in France too. MAS36 rifles re-chambered for odd rounds to get around the military ammo ban (yes, we don't trust our citizenry, do we?). Stuff like .30/284. Keeps the local gunsmiths busy!

DennisCA

57316413.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom