• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Well this was a disappointing afternoon..I decided to drive around on my 4wheeler see if there were sign of any elk close to where I jumped them earlier last month...as Im driving I see antlers sticking up out of the grass...so I shut off the 4wheeler jump off and head up the hill about 100yds and try to cut them off...well I ended up jumped a couple more. One of which was a cow that didnt give me a good shot. I had her head in my crosshairs at about 20yds but it was a clean miss.:sad20::o prob shot over head. I got rained out so I headed back home. Maybe next time...:)

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    We have Elkton and Elk River. Woulda been nice if our ancestors left us a few elk. OTOH it would make a mess on I-95

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Hunted Elk in Idaho three times and the only time I saw one was in a guides camp.

I couldn't believe how big they were.

yeah Ive seen lots of elk from a distance, this is the first time Ive actually smelled them...couple years ago I saw a couple cows about 30-40yds that was the closest Ive seen them.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Well after another miss I decided to go back to my old faithful Remington .270. A neighbor wanted to go hunting so today we jumped on our quads and went exploring...while we did find some very fresh elk sign we didnt see any elk. I had to get back to gas up the 4wheeler so we opted for a lunch break as we headed home we saw 2 deer one was a huge buck so that got us excited for the afternoon hunt.

Well I took him back to where I missed my elk the other days. I didnt really expect to see anything but as we topped a hill down about 120-150 yds was a big cow elk! I took aim and double lunged her, and she was huge! She didnt run far if at all I was too hyped up to notice how far she went but anyhow heres my kill for the day. The friend had to call his wife on the radio to call my wife to bring the truck since I left my radio at the 4wheeler about 1/2 back... so It took us a while to get her (elk) in the truck and back home to skin. but we got it done.:D So ends my first elk kill...this was a draw tag for either cow or bull so thats how I got lucky to get a cow!:D:D

Attachments

• 1st Elk.JPG
      1st Elk.JPG
      143.4 KB · Views: 245

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Wow awesome, congrats!!!! I'm sooo jealous...dream of mine to hunt an elk at some point!

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Well after another miss I decided to go back to my old faithful Remington .270. A neighbor wanted to go hunting so today we jumped on our quads and went exploring...while we did find some very fresh elk sign we didnt see any elk. I had to get back to gas up the 4wheeler so we opted for a lunch break as we headed home we saw 2 deer one was a huge buck so that got us excited for the afternoon hunt.

Well I took him back to where I missed my elk the other days. I didnt really expect to see anything but as we topped a hill down about 120-150 yds was a big cow elk! I took aim and double lunged her, and she was huge! She didnt run far if at all I was too hyped up to notice how far she went but anyhow heres my kill for the day. The friend had to call his wife on the radio to call my wife to bring the truck since I left my radio at the 4wheeler about 1/2 back... so It took us a while to get her (elk) in the truck and back home to skin. but we got it done.:D So ends my first elk kill...this was a draw tag for either cow or bull so thats how I got lucky to get a cow!:D:D

Congrats on the elk. How much you think she weighs?

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    That is great! Sooo jealous now. Not just for the elk, but the range of choices in game that you have. Do you still have the chance to get a bull?

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Congrats on the elk. How much you think she weighs?
    Im not sure as this being my first elk...the friend I was hunting with said it was a big elk. Im guessing about 700lbs dressed...
    I made a hoist and thought it would hold up for skinning and once the whole elk was on the hoist it couldnt support the weight.

That is great! Sooo jealous now. Not just for the elk, but the range of choices in game that you have. Do you still have the chance to get a bull?
    My wife has a regular tag for a bull but with this cow elk that will be plenty of meat for this year. I can get an otc bull tag next year. This was a drawing for cow tags in the area so thats how I was able to get a cow this year.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Wow awesome, congrats!!!! I'm sooo jealous...dream of mine to hunt an elk at some point!

Thanks guys! This was a DIY free range hunt...I found an area they were hiding out in...I just hoped I would run into them one last time before my season was over the 24th!:)

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    We have Elkton and Elk River. Woulda been nice if our ancestors left us a few elk. OTOH it would make a mess on I-95

Too bad the lady land owner at Flint Hill Farms is "not interested" in me trapping, or I'd have had a front row seat on the Big Elk...WTF is wrong with some people...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom