• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I have been using my Umarex PX4 Storm for about a year. Ran about 2000 Pellets through it, and recently I have begun encountering a problem; After the first "new cartridge" shot, the follow up shots are very weak. When I remove the co2 cart, there is still a great amount of gas left, and the cart tip is being incompletely pierced.

I recently re-read the manual and learned that the manufacturer recommends a drop of chamber oil on the tip of the cart. I didn't have any, so I have ordered a bottle, Is it likely this will solve the problem, or is there something unrelated at work here? If chamber oil is so important, why don't any of the local retailers carry it?

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Any major sporting goods store this side of Venus carries gun oil; you can use that. Heck, you could use Canola oil for that matter. All it's doing is keeping the seal moist and pliable.

jessebogan

Feb 25, 2012
    Depends on what the seals are made of. Use what the manufacturer reccommends, you will be happier in the end. Why don't retailers carry it? Very few have any real interest in airgunning, and fewer still want to take the time to learn anything about them.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Don't use regular Gun Oil in an air rifle or you risk Dieseling, the compression causes the the oil to detonate, which can hurt seals and other internals.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Don't use regular Gun Oil in an air rifle or you risk Dieseling, the compression causes the the oil to detonate, which can hurt seals and other internals.

Not involved in what he is doing ... the instructions are just calling for the seal to be wet, not like wetting down a pellet, the barrel or chamber ... also, CO2 guns don't use air, so there is no oxygen to mix with oil as fuel to ignite like a diesel

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    The oil goes through the valve into the barrel eventually. You use a drop every couple cartridges. It goes everywhere eventually. And there is residual O2 when the cartridge is replaced but that doesn't matter. Crosman pellgun oil used to be silicone but is now 30wt non-detergent motor oil.

FWIW, dieseling (in small amounts) is required to achieve high fps in any spring airgun. Only the old olympic style target rifles/pistols in the ~600fps range are working as "popguns" (they're all PCP now.) All others use small amounts of combustion. Small being the operative word. Cardew's "trigger to target" is an excellent book on the science of airgun design. PCP, CO2, and SSP/MSP guns can't generate the heat required for ignition so don't use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom