• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    The smart key blade for my Volvo broke. I bought an uncut replacement from ebay and am looking for a place to take it to get the key it cut to match the one I have that broke.

It looks like the original was cut by a laser and it is double sided. Is there someone on MDS who does this work? I live in Harford County.

I am including a picture of the uncut version.

Thanks.

Attachments

• key.jpg
      key.jpg
      39.6 KB · Views: 215

marquis708

Feb 6, 2013
    MD.
    If the key have a computer chip in it you will probally have to go to a Volvo dealer and pay them about $50.00. I have a key that I bought on ebay for a 2006 Nissan Max. about $7.00 bucks and after calling about 7 dealers I finally found the cheapest Nissan dealer for $50.00 bucks. If it does not have a computer chip in it then a real locksmith should be able to cut the key for about $10.00 bucks, Lots of Luck to you.

"God Bless America as she surely needs it right now".

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    If the key have a computer chip in it you will probally have to go to a Volvo dealer and pay them about $50.00. I have a key that I bought on ebay for a 2006 Nissan Max. about $7.00 bucks and after calling about 7 dealers I finally found the cheapest Nissan dealer for $50.00 bucks. If it does not have a computer chip in it then a real locksmith should be able to cut the key for about $10.00 bucks, Lots of Luck to you.

"God Bless America as she surely needs it right now".

This is only the key to the glove box. The key to start the car is a FOB so I am hoping this has no chip in it.

Aren't double sided, laser cut keys a problem even for locksmiths?

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Takes a special machine to do it.

I do work for a few dealerships and I know that Annapolis Volvo and Annapolis Hyundai have the machine to cut it. Doesn't help you much up there in Hazzard.

There is no chip in that key that I am aware of.

It is cut off of VIN. You'll probably need your registration or car onsite to get it cut, unless you have a relationship with the dealer.

Some locksmiths may have the equipment. I know of one down the beach that does.

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    If the key have a computer chip in it you will probally have to go to a Volvo dealer

That is a myth, perpetrated by the dealers.

Any locksmith who does automotive work (I don't anymore) can provide, and cut and program a key with a transponder (it's not a "computer chip") in it.

To answer the OP's question, I'm pretty sure Crest Lock on Pulaski Hwy at Mohrs Ln. (where Bunting Door used to be) can cut it for you. If not, then Stuart's Keys, in the Northpoint Flea Market, definitely can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom