• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Have yet to find an ACOG that I like overall. There's always something that doesn't quite work for my preferences.

Knowing my luck, the one I'll like will be the most expensive damn one.

More power to you OP.

I'm eyeballing that VCOG. Talk about a kick in the pants. :sad20:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Every time I get the money saved up, I buy a new gun instead :banghead:
    Really shooting for an ATN Thor :drool:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I'm eyeballing that VCOG. Talk about a kick in the pants. :sad20:

Too rich for my blood...

**Why do they only offer .223 BDC reticles in 55gr or 77gr? Have they forgotten how prevalent 62gr and 69gr rounds are??

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Nice collection.

I have a TA31F, my only complaint is the poor eye relief. As far as durability it's hard to beat....

zipzopboop

Jul 14, 2014
    I wish that logic stuck in my head. Somehow my wants are never logical in nature but, are more based in the "That Kicks Ass!" realm. Shortly after that my wife's voice scrambles into my brain like a radio tuning in a distant station and I struggle with the fact that my arsenal is forever growing and my wallet forever shrinking and that when you boil it all down to pennies and nickels I'm still just an armchair keyboard commander who likes tacticool doohickeys! God willing thats all I will ever have to be.

Nice collection OP like many others, I envy your setup. Sure I couldn't borrow one for my pistol build? I will trade you my Vortex sparc! LOL Anyhow Nicely done, Someday.............

This is pretty much 90% of discussion on firearm forums. No recreational or home defense shooter really needs features like lightweight polymers, rail systems, optics, grips, lights, lasers, IR devices, etc., etc., but they want them and might pay for them for the marginal benefit.

Those who won't pay for them question why others would pay so much for feature X until feature X becomes commonplace and feature Y is now the new trend.

"Why would you buy [Device]?! You don't even need [Feature]."

Hell, I remember back when the device was ANY kind of optic. When it comes to the ACOG, however, the features have a very clear benefit. The cost and someone else's willingness to pay is irrelevant to an individual.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Nobody else out there offers what they do at a lower price point. I have no doubt they would of they could. Durable, dependable, accurate. Doesn't need batteries and can be used day or night. These aren't designed for the range where a little inconvenience is fine. These are designed for combat where there is no room for error. You want the best tool for the job.
    I see where you are coming from, but need to make a point. The new Primary Arms prism scopes are optically comparable and have better reticles. The only missing ingredient is perceived durability and tritium... and Triji has been moving away from tritium lately. I've seen torture tests of the new PA prisms and I think they're up to at least LEO style abuse.

I still own a TA01NSN for other reasons, and some ACOGs have compelling value propositions, but their absolute monopoly on that market segment will be over within five years, if not sooner. I expect that the second or third ACOG I buy will be my last.

Last edited:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I see where you are coming from, but need to make a point. The new Primary Arms prism scopes are optically comparable and have better reticles. The only missing ingredient is perceived durability and tritium... and Triji has been moving away from tritium lately. I've seen torture tests of the new PA prisms and I think they're up to at least LEO style abuse.

I still own a TA01NSN for other reasons, and some ACOGs have compelling value propositions, but their absolute monopoly on that market segment will be over within five years, if not sooner. I expect that the second or third ACOG I buy will be my last.

I'll have to look at some of the PA scopes. I have always just stuck with iron sights, but now that I have a whole bunch of AR's, I'm going to put some glass on them.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    For me with ACOGs, the issue is eye relief. Theirs are very shallow.

That's one of mine as well. I don't go nose to charging handle when I shoulder, and moving the unit that far back on the rail to make it work for me just doesn't work.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    For me with ACOGs, the issue is eye relief. Theirs are very shallow.
    Not all ACOGs are quite as bad on the eye relief issue.

I'll have to look at some of the PA scopes. I have always just stuck with iron sights, but now that I have a whole bunch of AR's, I'm going to put some glass on them.
    I really could not believe how close the PA 2.5x came to my TA01NSN in terms of glass quality. Functionally, they are basically equal, maybe a bit of edge to the TA01NSN for low light conditions.

LEDs work nicely, sans the battery life issues. But, again, plenty of non-FO ACOGs out there that are de facto just etched reticles during the daytime. Tritium backup is great, fiber optic lighting is handy, but I sometimes feel like people just get a bit too fixated on corner cases...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom