• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Major Havock

Aug 21, 2013
    I am considering changing my SKS to a bullpup configuration. i.e.: SGworks bullpup kit. Any thoughts on this good or bad would be welcome. I like the look of the bullpup and think that it would make for a lighter and more maneuverable gun. (It looks bad ass too). Currently my SKS is in pieces and I don't shoot it often. I think that this configuration would make it more interesting and fun to shoot. What are your thoughts??

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I personally like the SKS as it is. But if that's what you want to do, then go for it. Just keep all of the parts so that you can put it back if you would like to in the future.

Have Fun!
    Jim Smith

chevellenut71

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    Cape Saint Clare / Annapolis
    I have a few SKSs and when I pick up one that was in need of a stock. Bull pup it was. I went with the SGworks. I love it had no problems at all. It shoots great and everyone who has shot it can't be leave it's an SKS. But it it's your only one I wouldn't. That's me. Buy one from tiger import they have ones with broken stocks for 199.

Major Havock

Aug 21, 2013
    Thanks for the input, especially those who give reason to the argument. I'm not looking for approval, just some advise and insight. Why do you or don't you like the bullpup configuration? What does the Standard SKS offer that the bullpup doesn't or vice versa…..

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Thanks for the input, especially those who give reason to the argument. I'm not looking for approval, just some advise and insight. Why do you or don't you like the bullpup configuration? What does the Standard SKS offer that the bullpup doesn't or vice versa…..

Ease of loading the internal mag? Also, you wouldn't be destroying a piece of history.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Bull pups are cool. Don't mess up a Russian sks, but if its just some run of the mill SKS who cares? Have fun with it. It's not a priceless artifact. You don't need anyone's approval if you think it's cool.

Long1MD

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2013
    Too far gone
    I'm thinkin if it's a Chinese SKS, no big deal. As Alphabrew said...these are not artifacts...they made millions of these right along with millions of Mosins.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Definitely depends on:
    1. Rarity of the SKS model
    2. Condition of the stock

I agree that it's not a big deal to go sporterize a Chinese SKS that has a busted up stock on it, and in the bullpup stock's defense, it is a relatively easy way to get a reliable optic mount on your SKS.

In my case, I have an SKS-M (the infamous and banned "SKS that takes detachable magazines"), and I'm real queasy about changing it very much. About the only thing I think I may wind up doing is adding either a PU or SVD mount to the receiver so I can mount up some optics.

Rumnhammer

Mar 2, 2013
    sgworks

I did it, and I used a pristine early Chinese one to do it to as well. I even (horror of horrors) cut the barrel down to 16 1/2 inches and threaded it to accept AK threads. I also milled the bolt to accept a magazine on a closed bolt. It is no longer an SKS, and I couldn't be happier. Don't like it tough....but don't criticize those that do especially if you haven't handled the rifle or even seen one in person. It rocks and makes the SKS into something better.

4095fanatic

Paramagic
    Dec 3, 2010
    I've always viewed the sks as a more "traditional" kinda gun... Making one a bullpup is a solution looking for a problem IMO. can't really think of a practical purpose. But if that's what floats your boat I could think of worse things to spend money on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom