• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    My truck has developed a small tic in the front right bank of a 4.6 L V8. It only does it for about 30 seconds then goes away. Engine still makes good power but is off about 1 mpg. It might be a small exhaust leak that goes away as the engine warms but not sure. Might be a damaged Ox sensor too. That would account for the 1 MPG loss.

Any good truck mechanics in the White Marsh area? I would investigate myself but don't have the time.

Vic

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    Sounds like the same problem I have. '07 FX4 with the 5.4 V8. No doubt it's the exhaust manifold.

G O B

Ultimate Member
    Nov 17, 2007
    Cen TX
    Tic's on shut down are not a problem. Tics from lifters during warm up may be varnish sticking a lifter. Try a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil in a fresh oil change, if it is a sticky lifter, the problem will go away in 200 miles or so.

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    If the engine is an overhead cam then there are no lifters. Most likely it is an exhaust manifold leak. Very common. I still have an exhaust leak on a 2000 tundra that I bought new. It started ticking at startup ~35,000 miles or so. Its worth checking into.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I don't believe the Modular V8 engines have "lifters." Overhead cam, and Ford uses the term "Cam follower" in their nomenclature. I don't think the 4.6L had cam phasers either, but I'm not totally sure. I thought that was a 3V 5.4L thing.

Tick sound searches on message boards for these engines will always net results to be either Injectors, loose Spark Plugs, Exhaust manifold leak, or something involved with the timing chain.

Jason21237

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2011
    Delta,PA
    Almost always the tick on the 4.6 and 5.4 is an exhaust manifold bolt that popped its head. The rest of the bolt remains stuck in the head. Its a shitty job. We are an exhaust shop and wont touch them. You can guarantee more bolts will break trying to get the manifold off. They are known for doing it and its a shit design. IF you find someone willing to do the manifold it wont be a cheap job. Its a very miserable way to spend your day.

tkelley

May 25, 2013
    north east
    I do the manifolds all the time on 4.6 and 5.4. , If you have a stick welder you can do a quick weld on the broken bolt (with manifold off) It will not damage the head , keep the heat down. This will give you some extra to work with vise grips and the heat will help expand. Use deep creep to cool, it will chase down the threads. This job takes time.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    Almost always the tick on the 4.6 and 5.4 is an exhaust manifold bolt that popped its head. The rest of the bolt remains stuck in the head. Its a shitty job. We are an exhaust shop and wont touch them. You can guarantee more bolts will break trying to get the manifold off. They are known for doing it and its a shit design. IF you find someone willing to do the manifold it wont be a cheap job. Its a very miserable way to spend your day.

Sounds like a good spot to replace the bolts with studs.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I do the manifolds all the time on 4.6 and 5.4. , If you have a stick welder you can do a quick weld on the broken bolt (with manifold off) It will not damage the head , keep the heat down. This will give you some extra to work with vise grips and the heat will help expand. Use deep creep to cool, it will chase down the threads. This job takes time.

I know someone who needs one done. Pm me how much. And location. Thanks

Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    It only ticks for around 15 seconds, once warm it goes away. One article said Cam Phaser noise comes in when engine is warm, not cold. Mine only does it upon starting a cold engine.

To me that is probably more of an exhaust leak from what I am reading. Still annoying.

Vic

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom