• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    I walked into the local gun store, looked at several different handguns, decided on a S&W airweight Model 642 38 Special +P. I paid for it and carried out of the store loaded with Hornady Critical Defense rounds concealed in an IWB holster less than 20 minutes after walking in.

I originally bought my XDs .45 for woods carry, but when loaded with 5 of the Buffalo Bore hard cast flat nosed .45 acp +P rounds it is heavy for a long hike. This S&W J frame is very light and easier to conceal than the XDs. It won't penetrate a bear skull, but will stop anything else I might encounter on the trail.

I carried it in my front pocket on a grueling 10 mile hike/scramble to the summit of a 8,000 foot mountain and forgot it was there until I started seeing mountain lion sign. I also carried a custom knife made by Scott Gossman in Harford County.

Mountain lion scat

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    It's nice to be able to identify scat. Thanks for posting scat pic for that reason. Scale is the only thing missing.

Did you make that gun purchase in Colorado with them knowing you are from another counrty (MD)?

Sounds like a great day. I'm jealous.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    Nice post. Totally jealous of your location, experience and hike.
    Start knocking off those 14ers. Hitting Torrey's peak then traversing the saddle over to Greys is a really fun day with easy and not scary 2nd class scrambling. Easy 1st class hike up or down from Greys. I'm going back to do Greys with skis.http://14ers.com/photos/peakmain.php?peak=Grays+Peak
    Also the Mt. Bierstadt sawtooth ridge over to Mt. Evans is a super fun traverse hike. 3rd class scramble with some exposure though. Some would choose to rope up with a hiking buddy on this one. http://www.14ers.com/photos/peakmain.php?peak=Mt.+Bierstadt

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    As a chl holder in wv, I don't even need a nics... Only problem is I rarely have gun money.

When I went camping I took my 44 mag for bear, but it wouldn't be good on a hike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom