• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kenny1773

Jan 5, 2014
    It is possible to do a partial system restore from a knoppix boot CD by copying files manually

This should cover legal and safe downloads

http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html

While also giving you a real option to recover your system.

Good instructions here once you get booted and running from a boot CD

http://community.spiceworks.com/how...restore-manually-when-windows-is-not-bootable

couple of future looking thoughts for you

1. A 6-7 year old machine running vista should be retired. It served you well, put it to rest and replace it. The boot CD at the very least should let you copy your data off and move it to a new machine (use a USB drive as the copy destination)

2. Online backups like Crash Plan work great and are pretty cost effective these days, might be worth looking into, the perfect setup to save vacation pictures.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    I would add that any machine with a hard drive over five years old is living on borrowed time. The OS may not be getting security patches any more either. Drop in a new hard drive, a little more RAM, a modern OS, and rock on.

kenny1773

Jan 5, 2014
    I hear you WRT to budget and this needing a professional, but :)

Here is a decent laptop for $389 - after Coupon Code: "CLC10OFF" ($50 Max Discount)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291286900083?rmvSB=true

Lenovo Notebook Z50 (80EC000TUS) 15.6" AMD A-Series A10-7300 (1.90GHz) 1TB HDD 8

Being sold as new from newegg on ebay (VERY REPUTABLE VENDOR, NO RISK)

You will pay a couple hundred in labor to have your existing one fixed if you take it to geek squad (I would help you, but I am 60 miles from Mt Airy) and it will still be an old machine with an outdated OS. Sometimes the credit card needs to take a hit for sanity's sake ;)

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    Did you save copies of all of your important files on another drive of some sort?

I'm not much help with Vista, but I put a small linux distro on a spare bootable USB flash drive for you. We can see if we can copy files from the laptop's hard drive to the flash drive or another drive if you have one. We would just need to know how to get in to the bios to change the boot order and put the flash drive ahead of the internal hard drive, so make and model in advance would help if you don't already know how to get in to the bios setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom