• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eyesinpines

Mar 4, 2011
    Help please.

I'm thinking about applying for a C & R License to purchase direct handguns over 50 years old.

Does Maryland have any restrictions prohibiting direct purchase, or weird laws pertaining to this that I should know about?

Thanks

prmorin

Mar 14, 2010
    Not that I am aware of. I know that a lot of people have concerns about it leading to a potential infringement of privacy if the ATF decide to show up and "inspect" your log book and such.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    The only Maryland laws you need to think about are the ones that restrict "assault weapons". The list is here Assault Weapons.

Other than that, a firearm on the C&R list or that otherwise qualifies as a Curio or Relic can be shipped straight to the address on your license, and Big Nanny doesn't need to be bothered about it. Just list it in your Bound Book and enjoy it.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    Not that I am aware of. I know that a lot of people have concerns about it leading to a potential infringement of privacy if the ATF decide to show up and "inspect" your log book and such.

Except they don't do it that way. If ATF wants to see your collection, they will call you to arrange a meeting at your convenience, either at your home or a local ATF office. If they come to your home for an inspection, it will be at your invitation.

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    as long as the seller is outside MD, no issues. the long term health of your wallet is a different matter altogether...

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    For purchases within MD (FTF), MD law and the 7-day wait trump the C&R. You still have to go through an 01 FFL (or MDSP) for handguns, C&R or not. But if you purchase C&R handguns and rifles from someone out of state, those guns all ship directly to your house, without an 01 FFL being involved.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    By the way, definitely apply for your C&R now if you think you want one. Turnaround time right now for getting your 03 FFL is roughly 2-3 weeks. There's no guarantee the process will remain that fast. Better safe than sorry, even if you end up not using it.

eyesinpines

Mar 4, 2011
    Many thanks to all...but I'm confused!

My interest is handguns and the desire to purchase those that are over 50 years old and buy them direct so they are shipped from the out of state seller, direct to my home in Md.

GNLaFrance says it's ok and even provides me a letter from Office of Atty General [ I note it's dated 2004] thank you.

However Boom Boom says handguns still have to go through an FFL dealer.

Which is correct?

eyesinpines

Mar 4, 2011
    Sorry all...I just re-read it, and now understand...I get it, apologies to Boom Boom

Many thanks all

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll

My interest is handguns and the desire to purchase those that are over 50 years old and buy them direct so they are shipped from the out of state seller, direct to my home in Md.

GNLaFrance says it's ok and even provides me a letter from Office of Atty General [ I note it's dated 2004] thank you.

Which is correct?

He and I are saying the same thing for out-of-state purchases. They ship directly to you.

In-state purchases, however, fall under MD law, requiring an 01 FFL or transfer at MDSP barracks.

Hopefully that's clear.

NP.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010

Which is correct?

BOTH are correct. If you live in Maryland and purchase a C & R handgun within Maryland, you must abide by Maryland laws and go through a FFL1, wait period, etc just like any other handgun.

If you go online to a dealer or FFL03 (C & R) outside of Maryland, then that dealer can ship it directly to you. As well, you can drive up to PA, Del, Va (outside of MD) to gunshows or FFL's and buy the C & R handgun cash and carry and either bring it back or have it shipped to your MD home.

Again, I would recommend you read the first 2 stickies in the C & R forum, they will readily answer all possible questions

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    It's not just firearms > 50 years old, it is anything on the C&R list as well.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    If you shoot/buy a lot you will save more than $10 per year at Midway, Brownells, etc. The license is basically free. There is no reason not to do it.

If you are interested in purchasing C&R firearms, FFL03 is the best way to do it without getting ripped off.

The only downside is you will be exposed to discount firearms/ammo and purchasing can spiral out of control, in a good way.:)

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Sweet deal, and you get to feel like a real citizen when the truck drops off a box of firearms right at your door. It's almost like living in a Free State.

Uhh, what?

Zombie_013

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 30, 2011
    Germantown, MD
    Except they don't do it that way. If ATF wants to see your collection, they will call you to arrange a meeting at your convenience, either at your home or a local ATF office. If they come to your home for an inspection, it will be at your invitation.

I am very curious if any of our members have been through a meeting with the ATF to review his or her collection?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom