• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    I am leaning towards buying a Kahr CM9 (and using the money left over from not getting a PM9 and buying another medium frame revolver).

Who here has the CM9? How do you like it? Any idea if there is a difference between it and the PM9 in reliability?

Does anyone know of any stores in MD that currently have it in stock and what the prices are?

Thanks!
    Jeff

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    I have one. It's a pocket gun. Not fun to shoot. I picked it over a 26 because it is thinner and thus conceals easier. The slide is intentionally hard to pull / release without a mag. A lot of the stuff different between the CM and PM 9 aren't critical. I got mine from Engage. I don't believe they have it, but they can get it in for you.

So, IMO:
    + easily concealed for when attire rules out other firearms.
    + better than nothing
    + Kahr is pretty reliable. When I say pretty reliable I mean like ak's are pretty reliable and glocks are pretty reliable.

- It's still a pocket gun. This means it is not a joy to shoot.
    - Loooong trigger.

Also, I bought it at a time kahr was offering a special. Buy the gun, they send you a mag when you send them a photocopy of the reciept. It's a +1, but it doesn't feed too well. Locks up going into battery on the first round. I just hit the back of the slide and the rest of the mag works fine. Soz, mag issue not gun issue. It's a stock mag though. -.- (The mag that came with the gun, not a +1 works perfectly fine)

If you wanna shoot one you can try mine. Would I get one again? Sure.

//feed / feel -.-

Last edited:

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I concur 100% with Dogabutila.
    - first round will often lock up, have to pull it 2 or 3 times, smacking the slide works too

- easy to carry, easy to shoot well, less fun after the first mag

- PM9 is not really that much better than CM9, both exhibit same issues (heavy slide, lock up, long trigger). I don't mind these.

- single stacked and super thin is the way to go with an EDC ccw gun; Kahr is a winner.

Last edited:

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Are you buying as a concealed carry gun?

Kahr's are purpose-built guns- they are designed for concealed carry. As such, they have no safeties and a long, smooth trigger pull. I have the CW45 and love it as a concealed carry gun. For fun shooting, there are much better choices.

Zombie_013

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 30, 2011
    Germantown, MD
    If you want a shooter and something you can carry, get the Glock 26, a mag extender, and a few G19 mags - that way you can comfortably shoot and carry her. I was thinking about doing this.

TheBulge

Mar 7, 2011
    I have had my CM9 for a couple months now. I got it at The Gun Shop and they had to order it. It has seen about 300 round of mostly 115 fmj with some 124+p gold dot and some 147 hst.

The gun is small, thin and light. It has a long smooth trigger. Its accurate for its size and intended purpose. Some find it harsh to shoot, but it doesn’t seem too bad for me.

It is well documented that you will get feeding/jamming problems if you slingshot the slide. Kahr says to use the slide lock. My gun has been 100% as long as I use the slide lock to chamber rounds.
    There are reports of FTF problems especially with the 7 rnd mags. I was worried about this but I have personally had no issues and I use both the 6 and 7 rnd magazines.

As compared to the PM9 the only significant differences I can tell are the polygonal vs traditional rifling, the extra machine work on the slide and an extra magazine. Not worth the cash in my opinion.

So if I could go back in time and get my money and 7 days back would I buy the CM9 again?
    Yes I would. I think its a good choice for the 9mm concealment/pocket carry role.

If you do get one check this out…

http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1521

It will help alleviate some of the problems you might have during the breaking period.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    CM9 is next on my buy list! The perfect carry gun. I shot it next to the Kel-Tec PF9, which had a worse trigger and more perceived recoil.

I have a G26 at home but it's just too damn bulky for comfortable IWB carry, at least on my frame. I really wish Glock would take the hint and come out with their own single-stack.

The CM9 has a TINY grip, I am accurate with it but you have bigger mitts you might want to consider something a little larger for carry.

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    I'll try to address some of the comments and questions as a group:

-Yes, it will be a carry gun (mostly). It will have the same role as my J-frames when I travel to WV, VA or PA- IWB when I want very small and concealable, and pocket when I want something more than my Ruger LCP.

-I have not shot a CM9, but my best friend had a MK9 which he traded on a PM9 a few years back. I've shot many rounds through both guns. The PM9 wasn't exactly light recoiling, but they aren't too bad either. Interestingly, neither of his had the famous (infamous) Kahr break-in issues, but I read about them enough that if I experience them I won't worry.

-Glocks. The 26 and 27 are on my list, but I have never really cared for Glock (nothing wrong with them if you like them, they just aren't my thing). I already have something very close in size and shape, my Taurus PT140 Millennium Pro. They don't have as good a reputation, but I have quite a few rounds though mine and I have complete confidence in the gun.

Does anyone know who in the area may have one or more in stock?

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Hopefully you wont have any issues - Kahrs customer service is absolute crap. They do not repsond to any technical email's - although they offer the service. To my understanding, there are a limited few at Kahr that speak English.

Im not knocking their products, Ive heard positive on their pistols- but if you dont have a decent customer service when you need it ... that sucks.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I have a PM9, it's a great little carry gun, and actually a fun shooter. I carry it often in a Remora holster, and shoot it often. Might be different than most others in that I love to shoot it, it's accurate, recoil is manageable, and the trigger is good if you appreciate DA triggers. I did a little reliability work on mine, and it funtions fine, I slingshot every combat pistol instead of the slide stop, polished the ramp, deburred the pin, polished the breech face, tuned the extractor, some trigger work, and use heavier recoil springs for the 147gr defensive loads I carry.

jsgunvault

May 21, 2012
    Ridgeley, WV
    I've had a CM9 for 4 months now with about 400 rounds of mixed factory ammo through it. Not one single malfunction. I've even tried releasing the slide both ways to see if it made a difference and to date have not had a round stick. Maybe it's the smoothness of the Kahr trigger, but I can shoot my little CM9 more accurately than I can my full-sized XDm!

BH

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    Well, I have a new favorite gun store: 2A in Jessup. Very good customer service, good prices, and despite being a small store, they actually have a decent selection.

I didn't end up with the CM9 though. I liked it, but ended up buying a SIG 290. I'm a big SIG fan (who currently doesn't have a SIG since I sold off my SIGs a couple years ago), and the fact that it already had night sights installed put it over the top. I have a set of night sights I bought for my Taurus PT140 Millennium Pro a few years ago still sitting in a drawer that I need to have installed. Further, by the time I would buy the night sights and have them installed in the Kahr, the price would be very close to the SIG price so I ended up going with the SIG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom