• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amickey1979

Feb 15, 2008
    Easton, ES of MD
    Was thinking of picking up a milsurp for hunting. What are your guys thoughts, feelings, or suggestions. Been leaning towards a Mosin.

Thanks

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Was thinking of picking up a milsurp for hunting. What are your guys thoughts, feelings, or suggestions. Been leaning towards a Mosin.

What are you planning to hunt? A Mosin would be a bad choice for squirrels and rabbits. :innocent0

I'm assuming, though, that you are talking about hunting deer. In that case, many of the milsurps out there make excellent deer rifles. I coincidentally just read this article a couple of days ago, and thought I'd share it here.

Twenty Five Greatest Deer Rifles Ever

You'll quickly see that lots of our favorite milsurps are listed here ... and for good reason. Where it gets sticky is when you realize that the average person who is looking for a deer rifle is going to want to mount a scope on it ... and that often involves defiling the original rifle. Not to worry, though. There are lots of bargain-priced Mausers and other milsurps that were "sporterized" in the '50s and '60s, when they were cheap, and people in the U.S. thought the supply of them was endless. Many of these are well-done, and would make excellent deer rifles. Also, because they were bubba'ed up to the point that they can't feasibly be put back to collector quality, they are usually pretty cheap. You should be able to find, for example, a sporterized Argentine Mauser for around $250.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    Everything I've read says 7.62x54r is approximately equal to a .30-06 ballistics-wise. Everything I've read says 7.62x54r will kill anything you can find in North America.

You may want to research your ammo and spend some time at the range with different stuff to make sure you're accurate enough. Happy hunting!

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I'm hoping to take my 1903a3 out for firearms season over in the Eastern Shore.
    The thing is darn accurate and don't have to fudge with a scope.
    I think you have to think about the distance you are shooting, if you are in a clearing or in the woods. I plan to be in the woods and the distances are very short. Accuracy is not as big of a deal as other things like length and weight. In the woods its all offhand and short distance.
    The thing I like about the 1903a3 is the safety.
    1) Its in your field of view when aiming so your know its on safe when you raise it
    2) Taking it off safety is easy and quiet.

I recently got a Steyr M95. Although its not very accurate, its more than accurate enough at 25 yards or less for where I last hunted which the deer were 15 yards or less in the woods in a ground blind. The small length and light weight makes it attractive for that. If I hold it with the bolt up, I can quietly pull it off safety by just pulling the cocking knob back and the safety falls down.

If distances were longer and I could use a tripod, I'd still use the 1903a3 or my Mosin PU Sniper.

You have to use soft point bullets and PPU makes those if you don't reload your own. I reload my own and often use Soft points.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    The Lee Enfield #4 Mk 1 was sporterized by the thousands and was very popular for game hunting due to it's accuracy. Generally inexpensive and ammo will always be readily available

Sirex