• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wbgv

Sep 8, 2014
    Hedgesville
    on Wed.morning...I went to my local PO to get and send a MO...the clerk asked me if I wanted to send it by priority mail with tracking...assured me that it would be at its destination on Friday ( 2nd day service) to Ohio..sure,why not...now,my PO is about 75 miles from the sorting office,in Baltimore...checked tracking Thursday Am..tracking said that it left Balt. At 11:30,Wed.Night....checked today,Friday, at 2pm.,now my 2nd day delivery ,to Ohio,is in Jamacia,NY....didn't know NY was on the way to Ohio...WTH !....great service-NOT !...just had to let some steam off...sorry.....

NormH3

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 31, 2011
    Delaware
    The Postal Service, like UPS. FedEx...etc, uses a hub system. Although it, doesn't make sense to us, it works for them. The one thing I have noticed about USPS, is that there tracking seems to always be behind.

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    I ship about 25 packages a week using USPS and over one year only had one item get lost but was found a few days later. Most of the time they are on schedule but the tracking is always a day or more behind.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I ship about 25 packages a week using USPS and over one year only had one item get lost but was found a few days later. Most of the time they are on schedule but the tracking is always a day or more behind.

Yup, used em both yesterday and today. Most of the time it's there on time. I DID stop shipping to FPO/APO.... things disappear.

The OP............. he'll live. :rolleyes:

GBMaryland

Feb 23, 2008
    MoCo
    Time to RANT!

---insert rant---

I had a TVS-5 night vision observation scope send OVERNIGHT USPS Express to my work place.

We have a nice fense and video surveillance...

The College Park, MD post office CLAIMED they attempted to deliver it, but did not.

Now, this is an ITAR controlled item that MUST be accounted for... and the video system (and security team) showed they didn't try.

So, I have security burn a DVD, go to the College Park post office, say "I notice that you've indicated that you tried to deliver a restricted piece of equipment and this DVD (and the guard) indicates that a USPS truck never approached the facility at all. Where is the package? I want the Express Mail fee back. ...and if the package doesn't show up immediately, I'm calling the FBI, not a Postal Inspector."

They get really upset.

A lady (supervisor) comes out an tells me that they didn't have anyone to deliver it, so they just put in the system that they attempted to deliver it.

WTF?

The box is given to me...

...and they tell me there is no way I'm getting my money back.

--- Second Rant ---

Sent a shotgun to Graco for some stock work.

Express Mail again.

They "lost" it.

Called the BATFE field office in Baltimore, who called the USPS, and it "magically" showed up in 30 minutes delivered to Graco.

Losers.

--- End Rants ---

They were the most cost effective... but then there is the crappy service.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    I ordered a mini fan for a Raspberry Pi from China on 10/26/14. I paid $0.99 for it shipped.

It arrived today in my mailbox.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    The Post Office is more concerned with reading your mail, than delivering it.

50,000 Americans last year - up 6X from a few years ago.

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014/10/28/youve-got-mail-government-reading/

...does anyone here still believe they live in a free country? If so, I have some Nigerian oil stock certificates for you.
    Interesting article and cause for concern, but keep in mind that the author's statement that mail is being read is not accurate. The "metadata" actually being collected refers to originating and destinating address, mailing times, package or letter size, etc, not the contents of the mailpiece itself.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Time to RANT!

--- End Rants ---

They were the most cost effective... but then there is the crappy service.

It sounds like,in both cases, they were in the process of stealing the items, and that the supervisor was involved closely enough to have the packages un-stolen very quickly to avoid trouble.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Priority Mail 2-3 day is total BS. If you ask them they will tell you it is not guaranteed. Have had standard mail get there before Priority, mails at the sam time to the same address.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    USPS is a joke and is worse than it's ever been.

Got that right. 2014 has been a nightmare for me with USPS snafus that don't want to stop: took 13 days to get a Garand to the upper end of Long Island, took 14 days to get a $2000 check to SIL in Yakima, WA and we cancelled a checking account when we weren't sure where it was, then USPS lost three of my MOs, $1275 in MOs, and refunded for two of them, $1100,(I can't find the stub for the $175 one), took 13 days to get a MO to a seller in MS.

They operate in the 12th Century. I've reverted to using Priority envelopes to send out my MOs, in order to track them and get them there faster.

Lew--Ranger63

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    Just in case it hasn't been said, Priority mail tracking only verifies that it was sent to the correct COUNTY!!! NOT THE CORRECT ADDRESS!!!!! The only way your going to get this is to get a signature confirmation. It cost a few bucks more but after I switched to that I haven't had a package "lost" since. No guarantee it will work but it's a better tracking device than their standard tracking service.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Interesting article and cause for concern, but keep in mind that the author's statement that mail is being read is not accurate. The "metadata" actually being collected refers to originating and destinating address, mailing times, package or letter size, etc, not the contents of the mailpiece itself.

Which is still creepy, big-brother, Stasi/KGB-style invasive government behavior in and of itself.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Buying and selling on ebay I've sent and received hundreds of packages over the last few years through USPS(maybe half were priority mail) and only one got delayed because of customs at JFK airport in New York.
    They opened the package and held on to it for a couple weeks, then finally sent it to me. I guess they had to figure out how illegal brass knuckles are.

Feb 28, 2013
    My company advertises 98% on time delivery, which is quite a bit considering we move about 25,000 shipments a day.

Granted, freight does occasionally get lost, but most of the time that is the fault of the shipper for not using proper labeling and packaging.

Sirex