• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Finally got a chance to shoot my new Surefire can yesterday. My rifle has gone through a few changes over this past year so a quick sight in was necessary and with less than an hour of rang time it was kind of a hurry up trip. Had a few issues with rifle not wanting to cycle(too much spring I think) so I had to go single shot. Zeroed at 50 yds. with AR using the Surefire Muzzle Brake, then put the can on. POI shift? No such thing. No discernible impact shift at all. Keeping in mind this was a hurry up situation, I am quite satisfied with the can's first outing. I think it was well worth the price, so far.:thumbsup:

Gunlawyer

Jan 18, 2013
    Knoxville, MD
    Congrats man! Once deer season is over you will have to come over so we can compare. I have an older model (Surefire FA556SA) and it would be neat to see how much quieter your newer version is.

What platform are you running it on?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I don't think the rifle not cycling with a suppressor attached is from too much spring. I have not observed that before.

Something else is likely going on.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Congrats man! Once deer season is over you will have to come over so we can compare. I have an older model (Surefire FA556SA) and it would be neat to see how much quieter your newer version is.

What platform are you running it on?

Right now, a Rock River 16", Adams GPS w/ a JP Silent capture spring. Trying to get the spring and the piston syst. to play nice together has been the hard part. Just got a JP retrofit spring group...4 springs but, only one is lighter than the one in the original buffer so.... Waiting on form 1 to come back. That will probably end up as primary host. But I still want to run it on my RRiver. I would love your input. Sounds like a play date!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I don't think the rifle not cycling with a suppressor attached is from too much spring. I have not observed that before.

Something else is likely going on.

I was having the problem before the can but later realized I had the gas block set on suppress fire while shooting without the can. I have a rifle length 20" that runs fine on the Adams with the JP spring but the carbine length seems to be a little more touchy. Ain't giving up on it yet. I'd rather give up on the piston before the spring. Am I nuts? You may yet see me banging on your door asking for help.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I was having the problem before the can but later realized I had the gas block set on suppress fire while shooting without the can. I have a rifle length 20" that runs fine on the Adams with the JP spring but the carbine length seems to be a little more touchy. Ain't giving up on it yet. I'd rather give up on the piston before the spring. Am I nuts? You may yet see me banging on your door asking for help.

You are correct, Carbine Gas is always harder on function than Rifle Gas.

IMHO, the JP Silent Buffer is a neat system. I believe its best suited for an Adjustable Gas D.I. Gas System such as the SLR Click Adjustable Gas Block, especially if you are using it with and without a suppressor which requires different gas settings and/or buffer weights.

Is this a G.P. conversion (Added to your Barrel/Upper), or is it a complete Gas Piston Upper from Adams? I ask because if its a conversion it could have a Gas Port that's undersized depending on the length of the barrel/dwell time.

G.P. AR's are generally more finicky, but it can be fixed.

Other factors could be hammer drag (Notched Hammer), carrier tilt (Requires an extended lip Buffer Tube/Receiver Extension), the chamber could be to blame, the cam pin could be binding (Roller Cam Pin) and so on...

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Thanks. Barrel and upper are stock Rock River with 16" chrome-moly bbl. so yes this is a GP conversion. Gonna get back to the range, try out the new spring, and go from there. Rifle has maybe 2000 rounds through it.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Back on the range today with new(weaker) in SCS spring. Gun ran fine. One hangup with a stuck cartridge/ftf. Mortared it, ran a clp patch through chamber, gun kept going. I'm sure there's more tweaking needed but, it's progress. Stuck round was a reload, btw.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Good to hear. Was this test with and without the can?

Is sounds like the gun is running right on the edge of functioning. I assume you got the JP spring kit?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Yes on spring kit. And I would agree on "edge of functioning". Next trip think i'll leave the can at home and work on functionality. Probably the order I should have gone in in the first place. Need to get piston running right first. As always, I will value your opinions/recommendations, Clan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom