Frostbite Shoot - Jan 27th, 2008 After Action Report!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Matthew 7:7 grasshopper. ;)

Don didn't miss out and you should've seen Amber ripping it up :party29:

Look at the upside, you got to shoot my AOW...

Dave,

The AOW hurt little Jimmy's hand with the 3" mags...dumb ass...I told him to take skeet loads!! Now he must drink milk until it heals!!

I think we are going to build those things for fun and profit and little Jimmy will be the gun tester...it keeps the testosterone levels up!!

Great time had by us and THANKS to everyone who organized and ran the event!!

Joe

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I just measured it, and the part that is still relatively intact measures just slightly over a half an inch. I'd say it was most likely a .50. No need to apologize, as I know that you wouldn't intentionally put anyone at risk. We'll just add it to the list of lessons learned, and take this into consideration at future events. No one got hurt, and luckily I found it so that at least we know to watch out in the future. Plus, I got a cool souvenir. :)
    Agreed, likely a BMG jacket, just by the raw mass. Pistol jackets are typically designed to ride shallow rifling and to withstand/open at relatively low velocities and will usually be less than .010"-.015" thick.

I'd also agree that there should be no need to feel guilty/defensive over unintentional incidents, especially with no injury/damage.

IMHO: "no harm, no foul" and "stuff happens" and this is exactly why we wear eye protection and why many ROs routinely wear body armor. "Lessons Learned" . . .

At risk of seeming to lecture, I would feel compelled to say that we should know that:

1) This is a common hazard with shooting steel that is not "hard", and not the first time I've seen this happen. As I had posted in the other thread a while back, shooting at soft steel is NOT recommended. Bigger bullets and closer ranges obviously magnify the potential hazard, but nothing is perfectly safe under these conditions.

The "other bullets whizzing back" are also likely products of shooting soft steel at closer ranges. Even full penetration is not always completely safe, and non-perforation produces craters in soft steel that trap the bullet. It cannot fully fragment, the steel has a certain elasticity, there is a LOT of energy to be dissipated, and this all combines to squirt the bullet, or parts thereof, back. Luckily, "most" of the energy is "usually" gone.

You just can't get around the fact that it can/will happen and one obviously doesn't have to go far (beyond this thread) for proof.

2) The perforated steel in the pic I copied in my post above has a copper smear that is quite obviously too large to have penetrated with the core, whatever material the core may have been, and it had to have gone "somewhere" not forward. I DO believe that it was ball and not AP, but even if it did have a pure lead core, the jacket still stripped and went "somewhere".

3) The .50 BMG is an odd bird, and even "ball" ammo may not always have a pure lead core, and a lot of it will have a sintered steel core. I know this from having some of these sintered cores from "ball ammo" "spot welded" to my AR-500 plates at 1,000 yards. It took a cold chisel to remove the fused mass, which was magnetic.

Again, IMHO, we should consider this "Lessons Learned".

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Matthew 7:7 grasshopper. ;)

Don didn't miss out and you should've seen Amber ripping it up :party29:

Look at the upside, you got to shoot my AOW...

LOL....good quote.

I'll catch it one of these days.

The AOW was pretty cool. Not sure if I'd necessarily get one, but it sure was fun.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    Just swap his earpiece with my truck, and I think that is probably what happened...

You know, its funny. I was thinking of this very video that day but thought this sort of thing was more of an aberration.

epc3762

Dec 30, 2007
    Forest Hill, Maryland
    I had this happen when shooting quarters with my Dad at twenty five yards kneeling with a 22 LR. And it came back and hit me squarely in the family jewels.... Ouch... Fortunately it did not penetrate. I was shooting with my Dad a expert marksman US Army... This was years ago.... His first comment... Don't tell your mother....Second comment.... Safety first. I still have the quarter and the slug.... Since Dad passed 9 years ago I will always remember... Safety first.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I had this happen when shooting quarters with my Dad at twenty five yards kneeling with a 22 LR. And it came back and hit me squarely in the family jewels.... Ouch... Fortunately it did not penetrate. I was shooting with my Dad a expert marksman US Army... This was years ago.... His first comment... Don't tell your mother....Second comment.... Safety first. I still have the quarter and the slug.... Since Dad passed 9 years ago I will always remember... Safety first.
    "You'll shoot your eye nut out, kid"

Attachments

• christmas.jpg
      christmas.jpg
      38.1 KB · Views: 194

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County

Attachments

• 50BMG.jpg
      50BMG.jpg