• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chriss

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I am strapped for money. I want a couple of lowers to beat Oct 1. I was considering selling the Smith 686 Stainless 4" with Pachmayr grips to fund such spending andhave some leftover to pay down my credit card It was the first handgun I ever bought at age 21. That was 29 years ago. I haven't shot it in 20 years. I have been going back and forth for days. I know its worth some serious coin but I'll never buy another like it.....such a dilemma FU MOM!!!!!!:facepalm:

freddie

Mar 20, 2013
    Keep it - if you must have a sporting rifle ala AR-15 then buy an HBAR when you have funs available cash&carry after Oct. 1.- having heavy barrel is not necessarily a bad thing.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Find something else to sell. Don't sell your first gun. I don't know what kind of lowers you want, but you can get something for under $100 or you can get the sweet 80% billet for about double that.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Keep your S&W. It's vintage, desirable, and increasing in value. Save money by buying a stripped lower or two now instead of complete lowers. Either sell something else or borrow money if you have to. Or, as just posted above, buy an HBAR after Oct 1st.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Keep the Smith. With stripped lowers being $75 shipped , rape the credit card for a couple , brown bag lunch for a cpl weeks , and use the savings to start paying off the debt in Nov.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    And once your debt is to the point that you can justify any shooting , please take out the M586. It's lonely and missing you.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    While I would like to buy your 686 I have to agree with others hear that say keep it. Use a credit card to buy the lowers you want and pay them of as quickly as possible.

My first handgun was a 686, I sold it about 10 years later and have always regretted it.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Had a similar dilemma with a Kimber .45, but I wasn't shooting it, so the decision to let it go was easier. It allowed me to make a few purchases I won't be able to make post-Sept. 30, and I can replace it in the future if I choose to. However, I do have a piece or two that I would simply never part with - ever. My suggestion is if you are having that much trouble deciding - don't do it.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Hold on to it. I had a 629 I sold around 25 years ago and have been regretting it ever since. I also have a 686 that will go to my son. The only things I consider selling are off beat stuff I bought on an whim that I did not lose in the horrible boating accident.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom