• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • G29guy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 2, 2016
    DC area
    I just wanted to see what people thought between the 2 types, whether they thought one was better than the other, no difference, etc... I have both types, I primarily bought metal mags as I have a KelTec SUc (yes, unfortunately banned in MD) that when stock is folded under you can load a 20/30rd mag into it but P mags are too wide for the hole in the stock

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Personally, I like metal. It's tried and true and been around for a long time. Down the road if we can't get new mags, I feel more confident in my abilities to maintain, repair, and if need be rebuild metal mags. Hopefully that's just silly thinkin on my part...but who knows :shrug:

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    I just wanted to see what people thought between the 2 types, whether they thought one was better than the other, no difference, etc... I have both types, I primarily bought metal mags as I have a KelTec SUc (yes, unfortunately banned in MD) that when stock is folded under you can load a 20/30rd mag into it but P mags are too wide for the hole in the stock

I like Lancer and Magpul mags, no reason not to have both..

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I have both, I like both. I also have Troy plastic mags. The shop I buy mags at no longer carries metal AR mags. I prefer metal mags for one application, loading 77gr SMKs out to 2.290" OAL, which hang up in all of the plastic magazines. People who use commercial and military ammunition don't have this problem.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I am very much a polymer-mag guy, specifically pmags and Lancers. I like Lancers slightly better than pmags, but not enough to outweigh the cost difference... so I usually only buy 20rd Lancers, since I don't trust 20rd pmags.

That said, there's nothing wrong with metal mags. The latest revision of the E-Lander magazines are pretty good, and somewhat more resistant to denting than aluminum magazines - but not impervious.

I prefer metal mags. For the Ar15 platform Ive had no issues with either Colt metal or Magpul. However on a DPMS G2 308 Ive had failures to feed and the bolt wont lock back on the last round with the Magpul M3 magazines. The metal DPMS mags and Lancers work flawlessly. Its a bit of a bummer the Magpuls dont work in my 308 since they are considerably cheaper and easier to find at shows etc.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I'm old school.
    I like metal magazines.

I've got Adventureline and Colt magazines that are O.L.D.
    After the 'ban' sunsetted, I found a stash of new metal mags and bought some.
    They've been flawless.

I got a couple MagPul magazines and haven't even tried 'em.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    One of my goals this spring is to get out-of-state and pick up some P-mags. All mine are metal and have all been reworked for reliability. I like my metal mags, but I'd like to see how the 'plastic' mags stack up.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    PMAGs and Lancers for my home defense gun.
    Metal for the AR in the trunk as I can forget about them and the springs I use won't rust and the feedlips don't spread as easily as PMAGs (unless stored with the dustcovers) they're also easier to get out of the bandoleer than the slightly wider PMAGs.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    That's why I kept it to one, but it's the first one going into my HD gun.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    P-mags for ARs and AKs, E-mags for odd stuff that needs STANAG dimentions, still nothing wrong with metal.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Buy all of the above, some of each incase you get a finiky gun.

In practice however, I almost exclusively use PMAGs

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom