• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Strict scrutiny is a form of judicial review that courts use to determine the constitutionality of certain laws. To pass strict scrutiny, the legislature must have passed the law to further a "compelling governmental interest," and must have narrowly tailored the law to achieve that interest. A famous quip asserts that strict scrutiny is "strict in name, but fatal in practice."

For a court to apply strict scrutiny, the legislature must either have significantly abridged a fundamental right with the law's enactment or have passed a law that involves a suspect classification. Suspect classifications have come to include race, national origin, religion, alienage, and poverty.

from cornell law

HQL wasn't part of this... but I think (will have to recheck later) I saw some wording that could be applicable/assistive to challenging it.

Why would the HQL not be considered a "suspect classification" issue, as noted above?

The fees to apply and qualify for the HQL are frankly an obvious financial hardship for those at or below the poverty level. Poverty level citizens are unfairly placed into a position where paying for the HQL takes away the funds which may have been used to purchase the means of self defense.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Couple of points to be made here:

1. Case sent back down to be reviewed using Strict Scrutiny
    2. Strict Scrutiny to be used by all states that fall under the 4th Circuit. Has no immediate bearing on states outside of the 4th
    3. Applies to both the AWB and Magazine restrictions
    4. Upon reconsideration, the state (which will likely lose under SS IMO) may appeal to the 4th and then en banc review at the 4th.
    5. Could have implications on a suit against the HQL

I think that brings everything up to date

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on anything here as IANAL

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    wow 58 members and 103 guests viewing hmmnnn

I was one of the guests. My browser had logged me out....

Also, this is amazing news. This ruling doesn't change anything for us now and the law still stands, but the 4th pretty clearly laid out how strict scrutiny applies to the 2nd Amendment, and that is precedent for all future Maryland cases. In my head, the thing we've been lacking most of all is a clear, solid framework based on good jurisprudence that says exactly what is covered under the 2nd Amendment and what isn't. This ruling provides that framework. If this case goes national via SCOTUS and this kind of framework gets applied to all 50 states...we win. Not just this case...but everything.

I now see this as the 2A case to watch now because of how the 4th worded their ruling and set out their "Does 2A apply?" test. But IANAL, so...yeah....

Mr H

Banana'd
    Why would the HQL not be considered a "suspect classification" issue, as noted above?

The fees to apply and qualify for the HQL are frankly an obvious financial hardship for those at or below the poverty level. Poverty level citizens are unfairly placed into a position where paying for the HQL takes away the funds which may have been used to purchase the means of self defense.

Oh, I don't disagree! I did a lot of the initial analysis of the poverty angle, and it was some scary shit.

But for purposes of the suit, HQL was left out of the challenge so as to more directly focus on 'banned items'.

I'll post after I read tonight, but I think the rationale of the majority may just help in the HQL suit as well.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Any doubts?

screen_shot_2016-02-04_at_2.28.15_pm.png

Yeah,

He's bluffing!

As a typical democrat politician, they will say anything to keep us little people in check. He is scared to go to the SCOTUS! Because the name Brian Frosh will be the guy who set back in the anti-gun agenda by 30 years.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Oh, I don't disagree! I did a lot of the initial analysis of the poverty angle, and it was some scary shit.

But for purposes of the suit, HQL was left out of the challenge so as to more directly focus on 'banned items'.

I'll post after I read tonight, but I think the rationale of the majority may just help in the HQL suit as well.

I was going to say this, but not with 250 guests. SS inside the home will be a big help for HQL.

Rickman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 31, 2012
    Port Deposit, MD
    I thought the case just dealt with the weapons ban. Does it include magazine limits as well???.

From p22
    Likewise, the record in this case shows unequivocally that LCMs are commonly kept by American citizens, as there are more than 75 million such magazines in circulation in the United States. In fact, these magazines are so common that they are standard. “[O]n a nationwide basis most pistols are manufactured with magazines holding ten to 17 rounds.” J.A. 2122. Even more than 20 years ago, “fully 18 percent of all firearms owned by civilians . . . were equipped with magazines holding more than ten rounds.” Heller II, 670 F.3d at 1261. Virtually every federal court to have addressed this question has concluded that “magazines having a capacity to accept more than ten rounds are in common use.” Fyock v. City of Sunnyvale, 25 F. Supp. 3d 1267, 1275 (N.D. Cal. 2014) (noting such magazines comprise “approximately 47 percent of all magazines owned” and number “in the tens-of-millions, even under the most conservative estimates” (internal quotation marks omitted), aff’d, 779 F.3d 991, 998 (9th Cir. 2015)

p23

In addition, we reject the State’s argument that the Second Amendment does not apply to detachable magazines because magazines are not firearms—that is, detachable magazines do not constitute “bearable” arms that are expressly protected by the Second Amendment. See U.S. Const. amend. II. By Maryland’s logic, the government can circumvent Heller, which established that the State cannot ban handguns kept in the home for self-defense, simply by prohibiting possession of individual components of a handgun, such as the firing pin. But of course, without the ability to actually fire a gun, citizens cannot effectively exercise the right to bear arms.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    No he's not. Remember, any publicity is good publicity, even if he would lose.
    If he were to lose at SCOTUS on his own appeal, it would kill every single AWB and mag cap limit in the country. No way whatsoever it gets to that point. The district is now looking like a lock. If we can win the following appeal (or it gets denied), he will do everything in his power to drop the case or get the law repealed. No way does he want his legacy to be "the guy who ended gun control everywhere".

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    If he were to lose at SCOTUS on his own appeal, it would kill every single AWB and mag cap limit in the country. No way whatsoever it gets to that point. The district is now looking like a lock. If we can win the following appeal (or it gets denied), he will do everything in his power to drop the case or get the law repealed. No way does he want his legacy to be "the guy who ended gun control everywhere".

I'm inclined to agree with that.

Then again, hubris is a melon farmer...

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Maybe Frosh will let it ride then. If he goes all in and loses the anti-gunners would lose more(nationally) than we would in MD.

It ain’t over yet, but with a change in Governorship and Frosh needing to defend it after his buddy and FSA 2013 progenitor Martin Owe’Malley’s less-than-1% showing in Iowa, there is probably little political support to move forward in throwing good MD taxpayer money after bad defending an unconstitutional law ... JMHO, However ...

Frosh might attempt to save face after promoting MD's guns laws as a model to his fellow AGs, not to mention Spinny Vinnie, who is probably downing Malox by the quart right about now, planning on a state wide media tour trying to sway the court.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom