Moving from MD to VA - Any Lessons Learned or Things to Worry About?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LargemouthAss

Dec 27, 2012
    Be sure to keep your voter registration card. It is necessary if you want to purchase a semi auto gun. I keep mine in my wallet because you never know when you will have time to stroll into a gun shop and see a great deal.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Be sure to keep your voter registration card. It is necessary if you want to purchase a semi auto gun. I keep mine in my wallet because you never know when you will have time to stroll into a gun shop and see a great deal.

Not quite. Proof of citizenship is for "assault weapons" only, not all semi-autos.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    What's the process like for purchasing handguns and long guns in Virginia? Most things are unregulated sales, right?
    Go in. Buy. Take home. It can't be any simpler. You'll spend more time talking with the friendly folks than you will waiting for the NICs and VA state police check on pistols. The fee where I am is $27 for handgun transfer or AR-15 lower at an FFL.

Free Radical

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 14, 2012
    yOur Nation's Capital
    Go in. Buy. Take home. It can't be any simpler. You'll spend more time talking with the friendly folks than you will waiting for the NICs and VA state police check on pistols. The fee where I am is $27 for handgun transfer or AR-15 lower at an FFL.
    Good to hear. So there's an expedited background check or something for handguns? Will I need to go get a Virginia DL before or will my current Maryland DL be fine?

Harris

Jul 20, 2014
    Since I am looking to moving to VA also and new to guns:

1. Can you transport rifle and handguns in your vehicle or do you need an FFL to FFL transfer.
    2. Do you need any kind of registration if you purchased in MD originally.

Thank you!

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Since I am looking to moving to VA also and new to guns:

1. Can you transport rifle and handguns in your vehicle or do you need an FFL to FFL transfer.
    2. Do you need any kind of registration if you purchased in MD originally.

Thank you!

1. No need to get FFL involved if you already own them.
    2. No

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Last Friday I needed to withdraw 'a little' cash to buy a used boat. I went into the bank with my loaded concealed pistol and a spare mag. The bank didn't have any bullet proof glass. It was wide open. I withdrew the cash and then proceeded back to my car.

When I first came to Virginia, I would put my concealed carry gun in the glove box and lock it before going into a bank. I'm the furthest thing from a criminal. I'm guessing that my 'battered MD gun owner syndrome' is finally starting to fade a little bit after a few years of being a resident here.

raheelc

Aug 31, 2014
    1. No need to get FFL involved if you already own them.
    2. No

Thanks for the info, I'm also moving to Virginia and I have an AR lower (in the process of building a pistol)...wasn't sure if I had to fill out some paperwork or anything in order to legally move it Virginia when I move too.

looking to pick up a SIG SP2022 and a CZ scorpion once I move! These are both cash and carry in Virginia, right?

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    looking to pick up a SIG SP2022 and a CZ scorpion once I move! These are both cash and carry in Virginia, right?

Yes, you are correct, 30 days after you change residence. Once that's over with, you can pick up as many pistols as your account balance lets you and walk out with them.

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    Ok, help me sell VA to the wife. While I know this is MDShooters, she seems to think the only reason I want to move to VA is for the gun laws.

How can I sell her on VA over Howard County (especially when it comes to schools)?

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Ok, help me sell VA to the wife. While I know this is MDShooters, she seems to think the only reason I want to move to VA is for the gun laws.

How can I sell her on VA over Howard County (especially when it comes to schools)?

When it comes to schools, Fairfax and Loudoun County schools are amongst the best in the country. You can look it up and show her the articles.

svana

NRA Life Member
    Dec 28, 2012
    Sterling, VA

That's all we have here are better gun laws lol. Schools are better, depending on where in VA you want to move the yuppieisms are a little more subdued (or make a case the other way depending on how the wife likes it). It all depends on where you're gonna be. My experience has been that there's a lot more diversity in terms of neighborhoods, people, etc. than there was in MD. My view may be skewed, but I felt like in HOCO if you didn't fit the mold you weren't part of the club (full disclosure, this was just my experience from working in Columbia in which I met and visited various people and locations, not from living there).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom