Moving from MD to VA - Any Lessons Learned or Things to Worry About?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spur0701

Dec 31, 2009
    Hey guys...........Am getting ready to move from MD to VA here soon. Any lessons learned or things to worry about? I know that generally the firearms laws in MD are much more restrictive than in VA but are there any isolated instances where the reverse is true? I seem to remember something about shotguns?

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Lesson #1: Keep going and never look back.
    Lesson #2: Stop worrying. You're moving to free America and leaving the nanny state behind.

VA shotgun ban:
    "It is unlawful to possess, sell, transfer, or import any semi-automatic folding stock shotgun with a spring tension drum magazine capable of holding 12 rounds."

... meaning 99%+ of shotguns are not affected.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    As soon as you get here, join VCDL, get your DL, apply for your CHP, Enjoy your new found freedom, and most importantly...do NOT get complacent!!! The Antis are here as well and would love to turn VA into a Gun Free zone.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I will relay this as best as I can remember: From another thread there was someone who moved from MD to PA and had an issue with the MVA. From my bad memory it was something like the MVA did not process the address change. Somehow it came down to MVA fined him for no insurance (even after he faxed them multiple times proof from the other state). According to his post he had to hire an attorney to get things straightened out.

Moral of the story is to keep all receipts and records for anything from the State.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Drive fast away from MD!

I would stay out of NoVA (occupied VA as my family calls it) if possible.

FIGHT! That pinko gov there is not going to be kind to you and yours.

Odd, they got a pinko gov now and we may have a conservative one.

gswayne

Left Maryland, Freedom
    Nov 9, 2011
    Just moved to VA (south west part of the State)and it is a pretty civilized place in terms of the transition process. One thing I did learn is that you need to have your vehicle inspected before you register it in VA because there is no grace period. VA tags with no inspection sticker = fine. Don't know if the police play hardball with that or not but decided not to find out.

I have not applied for CHP yet but will do so in the next few weeks. Also have not bought a gun yet in free America but plan on doing so soon just because I can!

paperwork351

no error code for stupid
    Mar 7, 2008
    Gaithersburg
    Check with VCDL for areas that have grandfathered regulations that are still in force even though Va is shall issue. IIRC Hampton Roads area. May be some other gotcha areas. Enjoy free America.

spur0701

Dec 31, 2009
    Lesson #1: Keep going and never look back.
    Lesson #2: Stop worrying. You're moving to free America and leaving the nanny state behind.

VA shotgun ban:
    "It is unlawful to possess, sell, transfer, or import any semi-automatic folding stock shotgun with a spring tension drum magazine capable of holding 12 rounds."

... meaning 99%+ of shotguns are not affected.

So that means Saiga's and VEPRs and 12ga drum mags are OK as long as the shotgun doesn't have a folding stock?

grayson71

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2011
    Rocky Gap, Va
    As soon as you get here, join VCDL, get your DL, apply for your CHP, Enjoy your new found freedom, and most importantly...do NOT get complacent!!! The Antis are here as well and would love to turn VA into a Gun Free zone.

this... and...

welcome to freedom!! I escaped in August,

snavematt

say what?
    May 19, 2009
    Stafford, VA as of 5/7/13
    The anti's are here in force, get you inspection first (windshield tag) then get tags, your VA DL is mailed to you in about 5 days, you get a piece of paper in the interim. After you get your DL, 30 days till you can purchase gun. July and Dec you get your personal property tax bills. Also look into VA Guntrader, always a fun place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom