• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • k9guy

Feb 12, 2011
    I keep hearing different answers to this question so hear it goes. If you already have your Maryland CCW are you required to purchase a HQL? I already get fingerprinted and background checks done every 3 years with my CCW so why would I have to get another one done that last for 10 years?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I keep hearing different answers to this question so hear it goes. If you already have your Maryland CCW are you required to purchase a HQL? I already get fingerprinted and background checks done every 3 years with my CCW so why would I have to get another one done that last for 10 years?

I believe with a MD CCW there will be nothing more you need to do. You will just be able to request a HQL. You will have submitted fingerprints and been through the rigorous training standard needed for the CCW.

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD

If you plan to receive a handgun after 9/30, you will need an HQL. There is no exemption for having a MD CCW.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County

You'll find the answer on pages 31 & 63 off the bill. If you have met the requirements and are issued a CCW, the MSP may issue you a HQL without additional applications, fees or fingerprinting. Then again, there's that pesky word "may" that screwed up the 8 day releases for so long.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    You'll find the answer on pages 31 & 63 off the bill. If you have met the requirements and are issued a CCW, the MSP may issue you a HQL without additional applications, fees or fingerprinting. Then again, there's that pesky word "may" that screwed up the 8 day releases for so long.

Ummm, there is no page 63, the signed version ends at page 62.

With that said, what are the pages in the signed legislation (Chapter 427)?

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Ummm, there is no page 63, the signed version ends at page 62.

With that said, what are the pages in the signed legislation (Chapter 427)?

Page 61. "may issue". Looks like the Secretary of Police gets to decide whether to issue HQL's to a CCW holder without fees, application.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Page 61. "may issue". Looks like the Secretary of Police gets to decide whether to issue HQL's to a CCW holder without fees, application.

Under Item (D) of 5-306, found it.

It would be helpful when referencing the new legislation to maybe post a link to it for those that may not have read it and to ensure that the rest of us are looking at the same thing.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    It's been four months since this turd was voted in. Anyone on this forum that has not read it yet would likely be unable to figure out how to click on a link.
    I even went so far as to convert the bill into a Word document and removed all of the deleted and struck out language to clean it up and posted it on the forum.

Mr H

Banana'd
    It's been four months since this turd was voted in. Anyone on this forum that has not read it yet would likely be unable to figure out how to click on a link.
    I even went so far as to convert the bill into a Word document and removed all of the deleted and struck out language to clean it up and posted it on the forum.

yeah.................

Sorry--that's all I got!

;)

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Here it is again.
    SB 281 final version. All deletions and strikeouts are removed to make decifering this turd easier. Many entire pages were deleted, so I removed those but kept the page numbers the same as the origionals. The page numbers may not be at the top or bottom corners as in the origional because many pages contained very little text after cleaning up so I moved content up so the bill only takes up fifty some pages rather than 86 pages.

Attachments

• sb0281e word Cleaned.doc
      1.7 MB · Views: 131

Ouhuzo

Mar 2, 2013
    The plan is for the application process to be available on line, perhaps as early as September 15. If you already lawfully own a regulated firearm, you will be exempt from the training requirement, but not the fingerprinting requirement.

Huh? First I heard about this "fingerprinting requirement." I purchased my Beretta 92FS while a resident in Virginia and brought it with me when I moved here in 2006. If true, what's the procedure for this? Do I have to go to a MSP barracks or just a Livescan shop? Anything I have to bring with me? Curious minds want to know.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Huh? First I heard about this "fingerprinting requirement." I purchased my Beretta 92FS while a resident in Virginia and brought it with me when I moved here in 2006. If true, what's the procedure for this? Do I have to go to a MSP barracks or just a Livescan shop? Anything I have to bring with me? Curious minds want to know.

The fingerprint requirement for the HQL has been talked about non stop since the first version of the legislation came out.

If you already own a handgun, you do NOT beed to get an HQL and you do NOT need to register your firearm(s).

The HQL is for PURCHASING handguns after Oct 1.

Here is the link to Chapter 427 (SB 281 Signed): http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2013RS/Chapters_noln/CH_427_sb0281e.pdf

Start on page 26 (5-117.1) and read the whole section with regards to the HQL requirements.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010

We're talking about the requirements for the Handgun Qualification License. You don't need a HQL just keep your Baretta. If you want to acquire any new handguns in the future, however (with certain exceptions as discussed), you'll need the HQL. It is not clear whether ownership of your Beretta will exempt you from the training requirement. Based on the plain language of the new law, you should not be required to fulfill the training requirement, but the scope of the exemption has not yet been spelled out. Fingerprinting will be be done electronically by vendors from a list posted by the MSP, which is the system already used for various MSP-issued licenses. I think all that you need to bring with you is a photo ID. Do not bring the Beretta.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    We're talking about the requirements for the Handgun Qualification License. You don't need a HQL just keep your Baretta. If you want to acquire any new handguns in the future, however (with certain exceptions as discussed), you'll need the HQL. It is not clear whether ownership of your Beretta will exempt you from the training requirement. Based on the plain language of the new law, you should not be required to fulfill the training requirement, but the scope of the exemption has not yet been spelled out. Fingerprinting will be be done electronically by vendors from a list posted by the MSP, which is the system already used for various MSP-issued licenses. I think all that you need to bring with you is a photo ID. Do not bring the Beretta.

I think that the OP will have to go through the training portion unless he bought a regulated firearm in MD. Since the Beretta was purchased in Virginia, it may not fulfill the requirement. I could be mistaken however.

Gbh

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Thanks for clarifying it (wipes forehead).

I was in a gun shop Saturday and a customer was going on about how after October 1, he had to load up all of his currently owned guns and take them in to the MSP to get them registered. :rolleyes: I don't know how theses type of rumors start but we need to help people know the facts.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    I was in a gun shop Saturday and a customer was going on about how after October 1, he had to load up all of his currently owned guns and take them in to the MSP to get them registered. :rolleyes: I don't know how theses type of rumors start but we need to help people know the facts.

Agreed, the amount of misinformation is astounipding. Maybe some type of walkthrough of the signed legislation for the firearms community? A webinar?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom