Anyone here a member at Stoney Creek Fishing and Hunting Club?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • quantum

Apr 5, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    I moved to Glen Burnie about 6 months ago and just heard about this place recently. I checked out the website, but couldn't find what distances were available on the rifle range. Also I may want to join but would need a sponsor (as well as taking the hunting safety course). Currently I'm a member at PTNC in WV, but only make it out there to compete. Any information on what the club is like both socially and facilities wise would be great. Thanks.

AvidRider

Dec 3, 2010
    I'm curious about this club as well. I'm looking for a place local (I am in Glen Burnie as well)

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Stoney Creek

Sorry guys,
    MIssed this question somehow. I'm a member there. Easiest way to get to know people is to go to Tuesday night Trap (open to the Public: 5 pm - 8 or 8:30...but be there by 6:30 or just past or all the squads will be full). Stoney Creek has a Hunter Safety Class next week (Monday & Thursday 6pm - 10pm and Saturday 8 am - 3 or 4pm). There is another class in May if March is full (it likely is...but call Bart's Sport's World. Jack is a member and does the signups for us). Don't just write off March, however as there sometimes are openings until the last minute. You can also take the online course on the Maryland DNR site and schedule a practical field day to complete your requirements and Stoney Creek has aa few of those each year.
    At the end of the class, presuming you pass (which most, other than some kids, do) you will have your HS Card. You need to have Hunter Safety and be a member of the NRA. I would be happy to give you a tour...but you need to do this soon ...or wait a couple months (having rotator cuff repair March 28th). Otherwise, I'm pretty sure a member there on Trap Night would show you around some.

Ranges: 7 yd, 25 yd, 50 yd, 100 yd, 150yd, 200yd and (if they have decided to open it yet) 300 yd (300 yd when open is for members only...no guests). There are 2 traps usually only open for club events or Tuesday Public trap Night....but there has been discussion on opening the traps to members at other times as was once the case some years ago. I haven't been to a meeting for a while so I'm not sure where the open trap access stands right now.

They also have an archery setup as well.

http://www.scfhclub.org/Default.aspx

410-255-2119 is the Stoney Creek Events line that indicates any range closings and also some other information

AvidRider

Dec 3, 2010
    Thanks for the info SXS! I took a look at their website, and it looks like a pretty decent place. The aerial views make the place look small, so I'm not sure how big it really is. Are there ever issues for the members getting a lane at the range? Also, I noticed they have workdays almost every weekend...Are the ranges open on the weekends?

I'll PM you to see if you have time to meet up and give me a tour of the place. Thanks again SXS!

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    I live less than ten minutes from Stoney Creek. I should have joined back in 1989 when I moved here. I have been thinking I am going to join an outdoor range again, soon. Real soon.
    BUT one of my friends who joined Stoney Creek last year told me he already stopped going and will not renew his membership. He was harassed by a RO there, apparently. This person is a member here, but I am not going to name him. If he wants to tell his story, I'll leave that up to him.
    Because of the story he told me, I will think long and hard before I join Stoney Creek.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    It's big enough to have a 300 yd range and at least 10 benches. Some are mixed 75/100, 100/200 and a couple 300.
    It began in 1948 surrounded by nothing and now it is surrounded by a golf course and $700,000 homes. They are understandably concerned about rounds leaving the range. Open bench tables are now enclosed in what reminds me of a 18th century frigate out of Master and Commander, complete with gun ports. Despite the gun ports, people still manage to shoot the fascia a couple feet higher than the targets. They use video to catch these assholes. I have no problem with that.

One of the rules on my introductory tour was to not shoot dynamite! They used to shoot at 1/4 sticks. One day the tnt box was looking kind of weepy so they put it down range and took it and all the club house windows out. Now they can't distinguish from the ricochet potential of a 1/2" steel plate vs a coke can.

I now only go there at odd times, rainy days and such. I go there to test new hand loads and putz with my chronograph and I don't want to chit chat or deal with people getting ready for Africa with their 460 Weatherby. Never have shot on a weekend, except for a club event. Right before deer season the range is busy, but never have had to wait for a shooting bench.

Life got in the way for a number of years and I decided to get active again about 4 years ago. I went to a meeting and saw a number of members I knew, whose health had seriously declined. We are talking diabetics with amputations, people with COPD and oxygen tanks. It was the most smoke filled room I have seen since the high school bath room. I was going to say something, but I realized it would be like talking to ABATE about wearing motorcycle helmets. They were exercising their personal rights.

Have not attended another meeting.

AvidRider

Dec 3, 2010
    Hmmmm, by the responses from Johnthetoolguy and BigDaddy, it sounds like the place is fishy. I think I'll shop around for a more friendly environment.

Thanks guys!

EarnestT

In the hollow
    Aug 18, 2013
    Not in Maryland
    Have been there twice as a guest and found it to be very restrictive. The friend that is a member says everytime he goes he is asked to work even though he has fullfilled his hours. I am a member of Homewood and AGC and love it.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I joined there and quit after two months. My first shoot there I was screamed at by the Guy who lives on the property, I was accused of shooting too fast, even though i shot, acquired target and shot and repeat. If it wasnt 5 seconds it was at least 4. Then when i apologized he acted like i was lying and said he heard it three seperate times. Yet i had shot only 2 .. 10 round mags. I did not shoot there again but did go to the meetings while i decided what i was going to do.
    It was at a meeting i decided to quit based on what i had seen that night.
    A member who had been there for a while had set up a chronograph and had forgotten to lower the eyebrow back down. After giving him a bunch of crap about it in front of everyone, they sent him outside and were taking a vote to expel him. Almost the whole room voted to throw him out. I voted to keep him as well as very few others.
    It was one guy, John H( one of the few i liked) that then stood up and talked to everyone and made them see it was a accident and while it was not good, that it could have happened to any of them. Some of them changed their vote.
    what he got was .. 6 months suspended and 300.00 fine! the guy left in tears.

Also I seen the way John H. was looked at and talked to by the big wigs after he stood up for the guy.
    These are supposed to be your shooting buddies, your friends, the ppl you look out for. This is Not the way this club is. I quit that night.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Interesting - I didn't see this thread when it popped up initially. I live in Glemburneye as well, and have considered joining Stoney Creek several times in the last several years. I got as far as getting the info about the HS course at Barts, but never actually took it.

I don't mind rules, but I do mind the manner in which they are enforced - there's no need to be a jerk about it if you don't have to be, but I also understand that there is always 3 sides to a story - one side, the other side, and then the truth that falls somewhere in the middle.

At this point I don't shoot enough to justify the time commitment it would entail, so I'll continue to punch holes in an indoor range for now.

In the spirit of keeping things fair, are there any members from Stoney Creek who can tell some positive stories about their membership, positive interaction with the ROs or something else along those lines? I don't want my impression to be tainted from a couple of bad reviews due to the fact that people are usually quick to post a bad review, but not so quick to post a good one.

Rockchucker

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 1, 2013
    Millersville
    Interesting - I didn't see this thread when it popped up initially. I live in Glemburneye as well, and have considered joining Stoney Creek several times in the last several years. I got as far as getting the info about the HS course at Barts, but never actually took it.

I don't mind rules, but I do mind the manner in which they are enforced - there's no need to be a jerk about it if you don't have to be, but I also understand that there is always 3 sides to a story - one side, the other side, and then the truth that falls somewhere in the middle.

At this point I don't shoot enough to justify the time commitment it would entail, so I'll continue to punch holes in an indoor range for now.

In the spirit of keeping things fair, are there any members from Stoney Creek who can tell some positive stories about their membership, positive interaction with the ROs or something else along those lines? I don't want my impression to be tainted from a couple of bad reviews due to the fact that people are usually quick to post a bad review, but not so quick to post a good one.

Sorry I can't post anything + about that range.
    I will say if you live in GB that considering the SC range when the AGC is available is a big mistake IMHO.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Sorry I can't post anything + about that range.
    I will say if you live in GB that considering the SC range when the AGC is available is a big mistake IMHO.
    How many locations do they have? Is it just the one off of Marriotsville Road? That's a bit further than I'd want to drive.

Does no one have anything positive to say about Stoney Creek?

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    OK, I will say something positive about Stoney creek, I think it was the second month i was a member there, I received a Pack of raffle tickets i was apparently expected to sell, not that i was asked to do so or that i offered, but rather they just showed up in the mail:rolleyes:. So i being a good sport decided to just buy the 30 tickets(1.00 each) and I decided to put 5 in my moms name and mail them to her as a surprise. Guess who won?... Yup, mom won 500.00( top prize). who then insisted on splitting with me, so i got my membership fee back.:D

Also, if any of you want to join there, Please understand your experience MAY very. This is MY experience.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    How many locations do they have? Is it just the one off of Marriotsville Road? That's a bit further than I'd want to drive.

Does no one have anything positive to say about Stoney Creek?

Good thing about Stoney Creek is that they are also a member of the AGC so you can shoot at the AGC as well.

The AGC has only the one location on Merriottsville Rd. That location sits on some 88 acres and has 200 shooting points. 58 position 50 yard pistol range, 100 position 100 yard range, 10 position 200 yard range, 3 archery targets plus a field were you can set up your own targets, 4 trap fields, and an indoor 10 meter pellet range.

Hope this helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom