Question about buying a gun for my wife to use.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Different pistols do perform differently in the hands of different folks. I prefer the G42 over the LCP. And I've been shooting since I was eight years old. So, at 60... I've learned a few things about the variations in the skill sets of different people. It's rather bold to "guarantee" that you can solve everyone's or even anyone's shooting issues. And a bit overboard to blame all issues on the shooters before you know a damn thing about them.

Micro pistols, AKA mouse guns, can be downright painful for some folks to shoot. So, don't arbitrarily blame the shooters for not liking them, or for preferring one over the other.

Ugh, the lcp is a hateful little prick to shoot...

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    G29 giving out free lessons? nice!

Still waiting to shoot the G43 with the wife, maybe next week... =(
    Jeffe, you will like the Glock 43. The trigger can be easily modified to a much smoother pull. As well as lightening it up some. However, there is a YouTube video out there, where women shooters rate various mouse guns, and the shield is the clear winner. My wife hates my Glock, and loves her shield. The shield is heavier. In fact, it's approx. the same weight empty, as my loaded Glock. The weight, apparently, tames the recoil a bit, making it a softer shooter. It really feels good in your hand, having a bit more real estate to hold on to. However, I hate the trigger. The hinge feels weird to me. Anyway, enjoy.

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    Jeffe, you will like the Glock 43. The trigger can be easily modified to a much smoother pull. As well as lightening it up some. However, there is a YouTube video out there, where women shooters rate various mouse guns, and the shield is the clear winner. My wife hates my Glock, and loves her shield. The shield is heavier. In fact, it's approx. the same weight empty, as my loaded Glock. The weight, apparently, tames the recoil a bit, making it a softer shooter. It really feels good in your hand, having a bit more real estate to hold on to. However, I hate the trigger. The hinge feels weird to me. Anyway, enjoy.

I told my wife many reviews had women putting the shield over the glock. Plus it's cheaper so that's a win win. When she held them she didn't like the shield. I think the slightly bigger size and added weight were the downfalls for her which I explained would help make it a better shooting gun.

Once she finally pulls the trigger on the glock I'll know if I need to keep shopping. Good thing is I'm outside of my 30 days so I'm good to go for another. ;)

G29guy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 2, 2016
    DC area
    Different pistols do perform differently in the hands of different folks. I prefer the G42 over the LCP. And I've been shooting since I was eight years old. So, at 60... I've learned a few things about the variations in the skill sets of different people. It's rather bold to "guarantee" that you can solve everyone's or even anyone's shooting issues. And a bit overboard to blame all issues on the shooters before you know a damn thing about them.

Micro pistols, AKA mouse guns, can be downright painful for some folks to shoot. So, don't arbitrarily blame the shooters for not liking them, or for preferring one over the other.

being painful to shoot and allowing it to jump around are 2 different things...i agree my PF-9 causes pain after 10rds...but it doesn't jump around...the statement was "doesn't jump around as much as the others"...fundamentals are fundamentals, theres a reason that instructors have "checklists"...if the platform is solid and sight alignment/ picture is correct, then...maybe I'm a bit bold...and you're right that I don't know the shooter, maybe the shooter only has 1 finger and thumb on each hand...but there's only one way to prove my boldness wrong, and if I'm wrong i'll openly own that...and I have taken brand new shooters before, never fired a gun, and moved them through 9mm, .357sig, 10mm subcompact and while esp the smaller females didn't like the 10mm they were able to shoot it just fine reinforcing the concept that its not as much about size and strength as it is about your platform/ fundamentals...my GF carries a 9mm (G26) and wouldn't choose to carry my G29 and wouldn't choose to shoot it if she had another option, but she knows and is confident that if it was all that was sitting in front of her that she could deploy it effectively
    What I would hate is for a female to say "gee I'd really like that gun because it fits in my purse so well; but it jumps around too much" so then she doesn't carry

jmcisc

Sep 18, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I can see you've had lots of suggestions, but have you considered the Ruger
    LC9s? My wife loves it. We have several concealable guns, but she seems to like this one best.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    being painful to shoot and allowing it to jump around are 2 different things...i agree my PF-9 causes pain after 10rds...but it doesn't jump around...the statement was "doesn't jump around as much as the others"...fundamentals are fundamentals, theres a reason that instructors have "checklists"...if the platform is solid and sight alignment/ picture is correct, then...maybe I'm a bit bold...and you're right that I don't know the shooter, maybe the shooter only has 1 finger and thumb on each hand...but there's only one way to prove my boldness wrong, and if I'm wrong i'll openly own that...and I have taken brand new shooters before, never fired a gun, and moved them through 9mm, .357sig, 10mm subcompact and while esp the smaller females didn't like the 10mm they were able to shoot it just fine reinforcing the concept that its not as much about size and strength as it is about your platform/ fundamentals...my GF carries a 9mm (G26) and wouldn't choose to carry my G29 and wouldn't choose to shoot it if she had another option, but she knows and is confident that if it was all that was sitting in front of her that she could deploy it effectively
    What I would hate is for a female to say "gee I'd really like that gun because it fits in my purse so well; but it jumps around too much" so then she doesn't carry

I've trained and helped a few shooters in my time.
    Observations;
    • every shooter is different. Even if only to a slight degree.
    • new shooters are usually much easier to train. They listen a do as they are taught because they have no "preconceived idea related bad habits" to break first.
    • I will never "guarantee" that I can train any person. Whether I know them or don't. Some folks just haven't the ability to focus and understand what they are being told. Others think they already know more than their teacher. Results are not predictable for anyone.
    • personal preference and name brand loyalty causes some people to choose particular weapons. Trying to point out the other offerings causes them to stop listening to anything else you tell them.
    • watching a person progress from one level to the next in their shooting is as gratifying as it is frustrating to watching others fail.

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    Had a date today.

12801416_1017418424997198_4238772165145528210_n.jpg

12804875_1017418411663866_2646479272711606153_n.jpg

She really likes the G43, however enjoys shooting the G26 more due to the less recoil, when it comes to carrying the G43 fits the bill. She said she is glad she didn't go with a smaller gun than the G43. Guess this means no Shield =(

Tnt9506

Feb 27, 2016
    Poolesville
    What's a good way to get a person into shooting? I enjoy guns while my wife does not. I have every intent of teaching to use every firearm that I'll buy be she gets scared when she goes to pick up my airsoft. Imagine her picking up an actual loaded weapon.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    What's a good way to get a person into shooting? I enjoy guns while my wife does not. I have every intent of teaching to use every firearm that I'll buy be she gets scared when she goes to pick up my airsoft. Imagine her picking up an actual loaded weapon.

Maybe get her around some other women that are into guns? Gotta shake that, guns are bad, mindset. Guns are tools, they only do what you ask of them.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable

Don't try to do it yourself. Find an instructor familiar with new shooters to teach her the basics using a .22 As she becomes comfortable with that, she can advance to other firearms. Whatever you do, don't hand her a slug-gun or .44 just to get a kick out of her getting scared.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Subcompact 1911 suggestions?

You dont give a novice shooter a 1911, or a single action.....especially a shitty subcompact one. I wouldn't give a person I wanted to challenge to a duel a subcompact 1911.

I have the same opinion about lightweight snubbie revolvers and people suggesting them for small women. AWFUL

Jeffie7, it sounds like she is making sound choices. Those last 2 will serve you both quite well, especially if you have a G26. Having similarity between firearms makes sense.

Tnt9506

Feb 27, 2016
    Poolesville
    Don't try to do it yourself. Find an instructor familiar with new shooters to teach her the basics using a .22 As she becomes comfortable with that, she can advance to other firearms. Whatever you do, don't hand her a slug-gun or .44 just to get a kick out of her getting scared.
    Been teaching basic safety from the get go. I wouldn't hand anything higher than a .22 to her either. My nephews have their nerf gun battles with straight trigger fingers. No one touches a gun (toy or not) without following gun safety rules. Hardest thing I'm having with her is getting her out to the range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom