• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    i got a reply. i really didnt expect it that soon.

Donald Pickle -State Police-

8:47 AM (8 hours ago)

Mr. Lee,

AR-15 heavy barrel rifles are not regulated in Maryland and therefore can still be purchased. This particular rifle has not been reviewed by the firearms review board but if there is any documentation from the manufacturer stating that this is a heavy barrel rifle then it would be legal to purchase in MD.

Please let me know if you require further.

Sergeant Donald R. Pickle, Jr.
    Maryland State Police

Licensing Division
    Firearms Services Section
    1111 Reisterstown Road
    Pikesville, MD 21208
    410-653-4500 ext. 4465
    Fax: 410-653-4036
    Fax: 410-486-6360 (77R's Only)

looks like i will need a letter from DPMS stating its a heavy barrel instead of a bull barrel.
    Don't trust him, he will get you in a pickle. ;)

stringer bell

Aug 20, 2014
    My thoughts.

How many reports have there been of MSP showing up at the range and checking barrel diameter or hbar stampings of post FSA AR's?

How many reports have there been of MSP showing up at the range and checking purchase date on all non heavy barreled AR's?

How many reports have there been of MSP showing up at the range, and asked for form 1 or form 4's showing that non heavy barreled AR's are SBR's and not subject to the heavy barrel requirement.

How many reports have there been of MSP showing up at the range asking for documentation from a manufacture stating that's its a heavy barreled variant and verifying that the upper/barrel on the rifle is in fact from that manufacture.

My thoughts are it really doesn't matter what it is because there is no real enforcement going on. the state police are not going to get involved in in such a complicated non issue when they can sit on 95 and run radar all day.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Has anyone ever heard of, or can anyone recall, someone ever being arrested for having a post 2013 lower pinned together with a non HBAR upper?

I mean who carries around their receipts or printed out Web pages? Whether to "prove" your lower is PRE 2013, or to prove your POST 2013 barrel is HBAR?

For the life of me I cannot imagine in what scenario a random Md LEO asks to see your rifle, then arrests you because you cannot prove, on the spot, that it is 100% legal by everyone's standards...all my stuff is "compliant", but like I asked...who carries around receipts of their AR parts with them? I know I dont...

Agreed it is unlikely.

But if you get in trouble for something else, they will add on this as a firearms charge.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    IIRC the burden of proof lies on the state. If the AR-15 was purchased out of state, then the owner moved to Maryland before October 2013, Maryland registration was not required.

Yes, the state could subpoena records from the manufacture to the first FFL 4473, but after that it could prove impossible since many states allow FTF sales.

Yes, but if they check and the lower was manufactured AFTER 10/1/13 you would be in trouble.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    My thoughts are it really doesn't matter what it is because there is no real enforcement going on. the state police are not going to get involved in in such a complicated non issue when they can sit on 95 and run radar all day.

But if something else happens, and you are in possession of a rifle that is not legal, that will be at least one more charge to fight. Or have your sentence increased for. Or worse, you beat the main charge and go to prison for the illegal rifle.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    This law was not written this way to screw people on this specific issue. They just copied the Federal ban from 1994. EXACT same list.

They passed it this way due to ignorance.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Agreed it is unlikely.

But if you get in trouble for something else, they will add on this as a firearms charge.

Now that, I can see...but 100% not as the only and original "crime"...

And we all know that any firearm charges are dropped immediately anyway...well, if you're a habitual criminal, they are. Could you imagine being the guy who has his firearm charges, of "assembling a non-HBAR rifle", being prosecuted, while killers, assaulters, robbers, druggies, and various other POS's get Nolle Prosequi'd for being felons carrying loaded, handguns every single day?

Yes, but if they check and the lower was manufactured AFTER 10/1/13 you would be in trouble.

That's my whole point. How is it possible to do a spot check, and determine what your manufacture date of your lower is, or if your barrel is not "advertised" as HBAR? After personally going through 3 separate paperwork issues regarding handguns, I can't imagine anybody is that up to date on long gun records...

I'd also wonder IF you are even required to show anybody your weapon on demand? If it's cased, and there's no legitimate reason for it, are actually required to uncase and show any LEO your weapon? Specifically, your "long gun" aka AR

stringer bell

Aug 20, 2014
    But if something else happens, and you are in possession of a rifle that is not legal, that will be at least one more charge to fight. Or have your sentence increased for. Or worse, you beat the main charge and go to prison for the illegal rifle.

BUT, BUT , BUT...

Here is the thing though, in any given year, there are around 300 people going to be murdered in Baltimore, with probably 3 times the amount being shot, Baltimore is ranked in the top 3 areas for homicides on a regular basis

Around 400 people are going to die on Maryland roads this year

Maryland is also ranked number 10 in terms of fatalities from lighting strikes over the past 40 years

since FSA became law, their have been ZERO reports of examples of somebody getting tabbed for non compliance in regards to HBAR.

I care far more about possible being killed than what may come out of having a non stamped hbar without a company advertisement, and guess what, I still go to Baltimore on occasion, I leave my house when it rains, and I drive to work 5 days a week.

I give about the same amount of thought to HBAR's as I do dog licenses.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    BUT, BUT , BUT...

Here is the thing though, in any given year, there are around 300 people going to be murdered in Baltimore, with probably 3 times the amount being shot, Baltimore is ranked in the top 3 areas for homicides on a regular basis

Around 400 people are going to die on Maryland roads this year

Maryland is also ranked number 10 in terms of fatalities from lighting strikes over the past 40 years

since FSA became law, their have been ZERO reports of examples of somebody getting tabbed for non compliance in regards to HBAR.

I care far more about possible being killed than what may come out of having a non stamped hbar without a company advertisement, and guess what, I still go to Baltimore on occasion, I leave my house when it rains, and I drive to work 5 days a week.

I give about the same amount of thought to HBAR's as I do dog licenses.

Any restriction is too much restriction. It's not the HBAR issue that is the problem. It is the bogus restriction. At what point do we begin to care (give more thought to) the restrictions?

Different folks have different interests. But ALL of us need to support each other's interests in the 2A community. If we don't... Who will be there when our own interests are under attack?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    71Chevelle427;4213301That's my whole point. How is it possible to do a spot check said:
    1) They could arrest you and find out later. Or confiscate your firearm and do the research later.

2) Depends on the circumstances. Warrant for search, yeap, they can look at it. Probably cause search, they can look at it.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    1) Feel free to violate any law you care to do. Just don't come crying if you get caught.

2) It is still the law, until it is changed or the courts say to is not constitutional.

3) Remember, this list of banned rifles was in affect for 10 years at the Federal level. Don't you think it was fought then? And it stayed in affect until it sunsetted. It was NOT voted out, it was just not voted to renew.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Lol...ok.

If you're doing nothing illegal, you're not going to get arrested and have your rifle confiscated on their hopes that they might find you have an illegal barrel on it...let's not be too overly ridiculous. All my stuff is legal so I'm leaving the tinfoil under the sink, where it belongs. ;)

I was asking about the showing of your firearm due to you not legally having go talk to a LEO or provide ID, according to the trouble makers on YouTube. I'm always respectful to any law enforcement members, so I can't fathom why or how anybody would ever question my rifle configuration, assuming they even know what an hbar even is... If you get pulled over for speeding, I don't think they're going to get a search warrant to look in your trunk to see if you're transporting a non hbar rifle or not...they have more important things to do then try to decipher a very unclear law.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Lol...ok.

If you're doing nothing illegal, you're not going to get arrested and have your rifle confiscated on their hopes that they might find you have an illegal barrel on it...let's not be too overly ridiculous. All my stuff is legal so I'm leaving the tinfoil under the sink, where it belongs. ;)

I was asking about the showing of your firearm due to you not legally having go talk to a LEO or provide ID, according to the trouble makers on YouTube. I'm always respectful to any law enforcement members, so I can't fathom why or how anybody would ever question my rifle configuration, assuming they even know what an hbar even is... If you get pulled over for speeding, I don't think they're going to get a search warrant to look in your trunk to see if you're transporting a non hbar rifle or not...they have more important things to do then try to decipher a very unclear law.

Probabilities are very low that you would ever be stopped and asked to show that your M4 barreled rifle was assembled pre 10/01/13. However, there are many scenarios where the question may be brought to bear.

• A pissed off friend/family member/domestic partner reports that you possess an illegal rifle.
    • A traffic accident where you are transporting the rifle and get injured and need to be taken to an ER. The vehicle is towed and contents inventoried.
    • the list of possibilities is a long one. Many of which are on the low end of the probability scale... But none the less... These things do plague us. Therefore it behooves us to be legit at all times while in possession of firearms.

Truth is... You may never get checked. But there is always that one chance. Best we don't take it... And I am NOT suggesting that you would.
    Peace...

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Thanks for the much more realistic answer. ;)

I know you ANAL (are not a lawyer :lol2: ), but since you are definitely more experienced in the LEO field than most of us, can I get your opinion on a hypothetical scenario?

I get pulled over in a pickup truck,
    Officer sees a rifle case in the back seat,
    Asks what it is,
    You are courteous, as I would be, and tell him it's a rifle, and you just left range,
    He then asks for you to uncase it,

Are you (the gun owner) obligated in any way whatsoever to physically SHOW the weapon to the officer?

Like said above, all my stuff is legal, but I also don't think (and I absolutely may be wrong) that I would "have to" physically show any firearms to the officer, especially if they are inaccessible to me and on my back seat...remembering it's a pickup truck with no trunk, obviously.

My opinion is that if the officer was as respectful to me, as I was to him, then I'd show them if he asked, as I have nothing to hide, nor am I suffering from any sort of paranoia, lol...but (flipside) I also think that any officer who asks you to uncase a rifle, is opening himself up to what could be a very dangerous situation, and "probably" would forego that request anyway...unless by this time, there are several other officers there for you having illegal tint, and going 67 in a 55 on the way to Ocean City, which absolutely has happened to me in the past. :o

Thoughts?

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Thanks for the much more realistic answer. ;)

I know you ANAL (are not a lawyer :lol2: ), but since you are definitely more experienced in the LEO field than most of us, can I get your opinion on a hypothetical scenario?

I get pulled over in a pickup truck,
    Officer sees a rifle case in the back seat,
    Asks what it is,
    You are courteous, as I would be, and tell him it's a rifle, and you just left range,
    He then asks for you to uncase it,

Are you (the gun owner) obligated in any way whatsoever to physically SHOW the weapon to the officer?

Like said above, all my stuff is legal, but I also don't think (and I absolutely may be wrong) that I would "have to" physically show any firearms to the officer, especially if they are inaccessible to me and on my back seat...remembering it's a pickup truck with no trunk, obviously.

My opinion is that if the officer was as respectful to me, as I was to him, then I'd show them if he asked, as I have nothing to hide, nor am I suffering from any sort of paranoia, lol...but (flipside) I also think that any officer who asks you to uncase a rifle, is opening himself up to what could be a very dangerous situation, and "probably" would forego that request anyway...unless by this time, there are several other officers there for you having illegal tint, and going 67 in a 55 on the way to Ocean City, which absolutely has happened to me in the past. :o

Thoughts?

Is the case locked/sealed?

Yes?

• I doubt you will be asked to open it for show and tell. Most LEOs will not wish to risk a violation of your 4A. And although the firearm IS within the reach of the driver, it is NOT accessible to the driver inside of the locked case.
    • You have the right to deny opening the locked case without a warrant present. And you also have the right to open it and show your legal EBR with the shoulderthingythatgoesup if you wish. Respect is the key here... Give it and your life will be easier.
    • With no legal reason or other matters of investigation at hand... You will most likely be on your way.
    • FWIW... "Lock" can be anything key or combination style. Or simply a nylon wire tie (zip tie) securing the case zipper on a soft case. Zip ties are CHEAP seals but are still a "seal" for the purpose of 4A. Harbor Freight sells them by the bags full... And they can be cut off with simple nail clippers.

NO?

• The firearm is then "...within reach of and accessible by the driver of the vehicle." Therefore it is discoverable by the LEO. Sticky wicket... In your scenario involving the pickup truck (or other vehicle with no trunk to lock it in) it would be advisable to not have any ammo/loaded mags in the same unlocked case.

As you pointed out... IANAL... Furthermore, I am also not going to be there to direct the investigation and cannot guarantee any outcome for you. But, if things were to go south... I trust that you have all documentation necessary to present the facts in court to the satisfaction of any judge, that your EBR was in your possession prior to 10/01/13.

That said... Manufacturers maintain a record of serial numbers and relative production/shipping dates. If there is any question about time frame, I'm sure the experts can iron them out.

Here's hoping the matter can be unfroshed by the courts so we no longer need to be bothered with the BS.

Stay safe.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    You could fill the entire cavity and it still won't balance at the front of the magwell for a 20" bull barrel.

Could try tungsten or depleted uranium, both about 70% denser than lead, or platinum, almost twice as dense!

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    Could try tungsten or depleted uranium, both about 70% denser than lead, or platinum, almost twice as dense!

i would prefer depleted uranium coming out of the front of the gun.;)

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    seriously. i had a dealer to day say a bull [barrel] isnt md compliant and that he asked the mdsp about it and they said it wasnt. they sighted CLP Edwards.

Well then my "Bull" barreled gun I built up last fall (2015) onna' post 10/01/13 lower is illegal by that ^^^ post. Fukkum'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom