• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    What is a fair price for a C&R model 10 or pre model 10? I've been looking at a few on Gunbroker that are in pretty nice shape for around $250-320. One in particular that I'm looking at is a 1905 model built sometime in the 30's according to the seller. It looks to be around 85-90% from the pictures and is currently around $310. Do any of you older, wiser collectors have any insight for me on these revolvers? Is there anything in particular that I should be wary of? Thanks, any insight is appreciated.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I paid 325 for a model 10 heavy barrel. Not a collector's item, but in fine shape, with a trigger to die for.

I suppose the older ones might bring a bit of a premium, if condition warranted it. But there are hundreds of thousands out there, I suppose.

I prefer examples with pinned barrels myself. YMMV.

They were S&W's big seller for generations, because they're just great, for what they are. Generally great triggers, shoots to point of aim with 158 gr loads, more or less bulletproof, so to speak. Or maybe I'm just a fanboy. I like old revolvers, and collect older handguns generally, but I don't see the M10 as a collector's item, just a damn fine machine that always does what it's supposed to. So I had to have it.

Sorry, guess I got carried away.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I paid 325 for a model 10 heavy barrel. Not a collector's item, but in fine shape, with a trigger to die for.

I suppose the older ones might bring a bit of a premium, if condition warranted it. But there are hundreds of thousands out there, I suppose.

I prefer examples with pinned barrels myself. YMMV.

They were S&W's big seller for generations, because they're just great, for what they are. Generally great triggers, shoots to point of aim with 158 gr loads, more or less bulletproof, so to speak. Or maybe I'm just a fanboy. I like old revolvers, and collect older handguns generally, but I don't see the M10 as a collector's item, just a damn fine machine that always does what it's supposed to. So I had to have it.

My first "real" revolver was a S&W Model 10 from 1967. Nickel with a heavy barrel. Man, I miss that thing.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    My first "real" revolver was a S&W Model 10 from 1967. Nickel with a heavy barrel. Man, I miss that thing.

Yeah, I sold my first one, spent a long time regretting it, then scored off Mdeng. (Thanks, Perrin).

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County

My thought as well. They made many thousands of them so they are certainly not rare. I'm thinking $300ish for one in good shape seems like a pretty good price.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    They are a dime a dozen. I lost count of how many hundreds I've checked out in person that qualify for C&R. In other words, if you pass on this one, you'll find plenty more. $310 is a good price for what you describe.

C&RTactical

Jul 24, 2013
    I purchased a S&W Victory Model from Engage the day that they got it. $275 bluing was decent not matching, bore was mirror, ejector pin needed bending back, but for me I really have not seen many that easily go for that price and I got a friend to easily fix it. So it was worth it to me and cost me very little.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Here's another question. Is it a terrible idea to make a bid on GB if the seller's statement does not explicitly say they will accept a C&R FFL, even though the gun is clearly C&R eligible? I would hate to buy one and then find out the seller will only ship to an 01 FFL.

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Here's another question. Is it a terrible idea to make a bid on GB if the seller's statement does not explicitly say they will accept a C&R FFL, even though the gun is clearly C&R eligible? I would hate to buy one and then find out the seller will only ship to an 01 FFL.

In my experience, 9 times out of 10 even if not listed in the C&R section sellers have been fine shipping to me, but there are some that flat out refused even knowing that the gun was eligible. Most have cited past issues with buyers and the inability to verify the C&R like they can an 01FFL. If it were me I wouldn't make any assumptions and either ask/wait for an answer before bidding or just factor transfer costs into your bid so you don't take a huge hit if they won't ship directly to you.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009

I always email the seller with the C&R question, unless they mention it in the ad. There's enough stuff out there; if one won't sell, the next one will.

Hicap

Magazine Clips
    Jun 10, 2012
    I've ordered 2 pre model 10's snubs from gunbroker. One is nickel former Detroit police issue, the other is blued. I paid $475 for the nickel and $400 for the other. 2" barrel models are more rare hence the higher price. They're built like tanks.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I always email the seller with the C&R question, unless they mention it in the ad. There's enough stuff out there; if one won't sell, the next one will.

Ok, I did email them but I haven't heard back and as the auction ends tomorrow niht I probably won't bid on this one. It looks sweet though.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The price range quoted is the going price range for shooter M&P 's .

Victories "used to " be cheaper than civillian M&P 's , but are now going for a premimum. Amongst S&W collectors there are valuable ones with particular unusual combinations of bbl lengths are features , but once again the common ones are very common.

In addition to general condition , S&W collector are very attuned to the grips. Most desired are the origional grips to the specific gun , followed by period correct grips w/o matching sn or provence. If you are interested in purely a shooter , aftermarket or otherwise incorrect grips could get you a better price. Likewise if the gun has been refinished ( other than by S&W with documentation).

Be aware of the distinction between Long Action and Short Action .desireability can go either way. The DA pull on a long action is a thing of beauty , but the factory was been out of Long Action parts for several years. Still parts in circulation , but as they say , they aren't making any more. All revolvers stamped with Model # are Short Action , but the Shorts were being transitioned in during early to mid '50s .

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    Until we went to Glocks in the late 80s, our standard MPDC street weapon was a S&W Mod 10 4". As a rookie, I used 158 gr round nose. We later, in the late 70s, went to 158gr +P all lead hollow point. I was never issued a mod 10. I carried a Colt Official Police 4" Heavier frame and fantastic trigger work. I was given the option trading it for a Mod 10 so that the department could standardize. Those of us with Colts all said NO.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    One of those tastes great vs less filling debates. Some people prefer the trigger of a Colt , some S&W . I never could really warm up to the Colt trigger.

In your vien , in My formative years , I knew a really old timer . In the 1930's had been a Plainclothes Special Agent for the Southern Railroad. During WWII when MPD was hiring African American Ofc , he went to them , and stayed until retirement.

But he prefered the Police Positive Special to either the OP or the S&W partially because he was a compact built guy no doubt , but he mentioned how it was more concealble to be able to carry is 4in gun instead of having to downsize to a 2in .

Even in his 80's , when in regular life he seems to dotter and be half blind , he could chew out the X Ring with his 1st Gen Dtetctive Special.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    The price range quoted is the going price range for shooter M&P 's .

Victories "used to " be cheaper than civillian M&P 's , but are now going for a premimum. Amongst S&W collectors there are valuable ones with particular unusual combinations of bbl lengths are features , but once again the common ones are very common.

In addition to general condition , S&W collector are very attuned to the grips. Most desired are the origional grips to the specific gun , followed by period correct grips w/o matching sn or provence. If you are interested in purely a shooter , aftermarket or otherwise incorrect grips could get you a better price. Likewise if the gun has been refinished ( other than by S&W with documentation).

Be aware of the distinction between Long Action and Short Action .desireability can go either way. The DA pull on a long action is a thing of beauty , but the factory was been out of Long Action parts for several years. Still parts in circulation , but as they say , they aren't making any more. All revolvers stamped with Model # are Short Action , but the Shorts were being transitioned in during early to mid '50s .

So any that are pre model 10 will be a 'long action'?

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Reblued, of course, the whole pistol.

Bluebook says 758,296 made in this model; serial number puts it in the early 1940s. They have it at around 1100 for a 98%, down to 175 for 10%. Condition seems better than average for the age and time; pity the finish was redone.

I'd originally thought it was a bit pricey, but it probably sold close to fair market value, even with shipping, if you used a C&R. Transfer fees can bite.

Didja buy it, or still just looking?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom