• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    I hear there's a gun show coming up in Chantilly or thereabouts. I was planning to pick some up there. The standard, as I understand, is 30 rounds. Are there other popular magazine types/sizes to look out for?

York. pa show is next weekend.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I hear there's a gun show coming up in Chantilly or thereabouts. I was planning to pick some up there. The standard, as I understand, is 30 rounds. Are there other popular magazine types/sizes to look out for?

30 rd magpul P-mags. Gen 2 or 3. I like windowless but have a few with windows. Should be $9-12 each. Cheap Korean knockoffs can go as low as $5 each.

GI aluminum mags. I usually look for a green follower. I think they are in the $15 range. It has been a while since I bought any of these.

You should have some of each. IMHO

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Congrats on the new rifle. Read the manual and get familiar with the rifle before the maiden voyage to the range.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Lancer mags are real nice, too.

30s are standard, but a few 20s can be nice to have.

Don't forget to get mags for your pistol.

Also, pay cash and don't mention Maryland. Keep it simple.

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    30 rd magpul P-mags. Gen 2 or 3. I like windowless but have a few with windows. Should be $9-12 each. Cheap Korean knockoffs can go as low as $5 each.

GI aluminum mags. I usually look for a green follower. I think they are in the $15 range. It has been a while since I bought any of these.

Thanks for the advice. I will probably focus on what's not in the LGS. Christmas is coming, and we're visiting family in Ohio and Michigan. :D

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    So, range report: I took the AR-15 to Freestate Gun Range today for its maiden voyage. After a couple of snafus, all went well and really did a number on some paper. (That paper won't be messing with my family any time soon.)

The shop was pretty busy, but after signing their electronic waiver (nice!) and waiting briefly, I got set up on the range. First failure: when removing trying to remove the cable lock from the action of the rifle, the key broke off the the lock. Stupid, cheap piece of crap! Fortunately, one of the range employees was well familiar with this problem and cut the lock off for me. Very nice, Freestate!

Ok, return to my lane. Load magazine, chamber round, fire: 'click'. F***. Count to 30. Nothing. Check safety. Nope. Remove magazine, eject round (with some difficulty). No impact from the firing pin on the primer. Head scratch. Tried to reload, but the gun didn't seem to want to go into battery. Unload. Did I do something wrong reassembling after cleaning last night? Field strip. The firing pin was not fully seated in the bolt. Reassemble, reload, fire. 'Bang!' :party29:

I put about 100 rounds through it today. Not nearly as much as I intended, but it was getting on time to get home.

Overall, superb service by the Freestate staff. Very nice range with nice facilities and a comfortable climate. A good day out!

Next weekend, we're going up to AGC. Hopefully I'll have some nice, new mags to use there.

thai

May 8, 2013
    You dun reeel gudd, James! Momma didn't raise no fool!

Great buy, and way to tell O'Malley to go screw himself

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

50 round drum magazine :innocent0

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011

Midway has Lancer mags on sale right now if you have someplace out of state to ship them. I use the Shrewsbury PA UPS store if you need info on it let me know. They also have the Surefire 100 mags on sale IIRC.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    Those Windham ARs run great, the people that build them are the ones that made bushmaster's name before they got bought out and turned to crap.

The best AR I've ever owned was and is a heavy barrelled Bushmaster from the time period where they still had their logo as the bushmaster assault pistol instead of the snake with an AR-15. The machining is perfect, no detail of quality control was missed, and I have never ever ever had a failure that was not due to undercharged reloads that were not strong enough to cycle the gun in this rifle. Super accurate, super reliable.

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    Very successful trip to the York show! I got several 30-round mags, a couple of 40-rounders, plus a bag of stripper clips and a spoon. Also rails for the handguards and a fore grip that can turn into a bipod.

MdPrep

Tactically Tactless
    Sep 24, 2014
    JamesH is a friend, yeah
    I know he's been a good friend of mine
    But lately something's changed it ain't hard to define
    JamesH got himself a gun and I want to make her mine

And she's watching him with those eyes
    And she's lovin' him with that body, I just know it
    And he's holding her in his arms late, late at night

You know I wish that I had JamesH gun
    I wish that I had JamesH gun