• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If you want an evil barrel "rifle" do an AR pistol with an unpinned 14.5" barrel. It's close enough to a rifle, but still a pistol. You can shoulder the buffer tube, just not an arm brace.

:D

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It's based on barrel profile, meaning diameter at the gas port is .750 (HBAR). Doesn't need to be inscribed anywhere.

Exactly! To be able to prove it's not an H-bar, they have to be able to prove what one is...is that clear enough? Logic. You can't prove a negative...only a positive.

CSS

Nov 30, 2012
    Nope.

.750 Gas Seats are not all HBAR. M4 Barrels are .750 and so are Medium Contour Barrels.

I should have elaborated a bit on my previous post. The entire length of the barrel also needs to be the same diameter (minus the .750 at the gas port) and can't have the ability to attach a grenade launcher.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I should have elaborated a bit on my previous post. The entire length of the barrel also needs to be the same diameter (minus the .750 at the gas port) and can't have the ability to attach a grenade launcher.

Well, even H-bars are narrower in front (towards the muzzle) than 3/4''. Arbitrarily, the portion behind the gas block, where it grows to say, 9.50'', can't get any narrower than that all the way to the chamber(as I have observed anyway). There has to be a spec on what an H-bar is, or manufacturers can't determine what the hell an H-bar is. And if they can't, then the whole 'marking' system is completely arbitrary. Time for more navel gazing?

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Well, even H-bars are narrower in front (towards the muzzle) than 3/4''. Arbitrarily, the portion behind the gas block, where it grows to say, 9.50'', can't get any narrower than that all the way to the chamber(as I have observed anyway). There has to be a spec on what an H-bar is, or manufacturers can't determine what the hell an H-bar is. And if they can't, then the whole 'marking' system is completely arbitrary. Time for more navel gazing?

Arbitrary is the basis for all of Maryland's gun laws

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    Imagine the fun you have with a mix of pre and post-2013 lowers! I have several lowers that are pre-2013 that I can have any configuration on and two that are HBAR only. So I can buy an M4 contoured upper or replacement barrel for my pre-2013 lowers but can't attach them to the post-2013 lowers.

Clear as mud, for sure.

Matt

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    What about thr Remington R-15's with a .680" barrel in front of the gas block and .850 barrel behind the gas block in .223, that were sold cash and carry by Marylsnd dealers before 10/1/2013?

CSS

Nov 30, 2012
    I'm getting conflicting answers on my two questions...

1. I know I can buy a stripped lower receiver in maryland. I also know I can build it in a pistol configuration, or in a heavy barrel configuration in compliance with the law. Can I build a stripped lower receiver, purchased after the law changed, with an 18" barrel in a contour that is not heavy barrel?

2. Can I make an 80% lower into a 16" heavy barrel rifle or pistol?

I made the mistake of ordering an 18" SPR upper (hell of a deal), but was planning on putting it on a new receiver when I buy it. I hope I'm not out of luck

you'll need to define heavy barrel first

hint: it's whatever you want it to be :innocent0

quattroginger

Feb 22, 2013
    to piggyback off these questions which i was curious about as well. can i in MD legally buy a stripped lower if intended for pistol? i thought it was legal as long as it was sold as a pistol.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    to piggyback off these questions which i was curious about as well. can i in MD legally buy a stripped lower if intended for pistol? i thought it was legal as long as it was sold as a pistol.

Stripped lowers(AR) are legal to buy in Md. The lower is designated ''multi'' which means it can be configured any way you wish, within the restrictions of state and federal law. There is a waiting period and forms to fill out.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Stripped lowers(AR) are legal to buy in Md. The lower is designated ''multi'' which means it can be configured any way you wish, within the restrictions of state and federal law. There is a waiting period and forms to fill out.

It is designated as "other". Any lower that has not been made into a long gun can be built into a pistol. It is just easier if it was originally transferred as other.

In order to purchase a stripped lower as a "pistol", it would have to be on the roster.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

Sev

"Vern"
    Mar 18, 2010
    formerly silver spring
    back to my question about milling an 80:

do I have to register it with the msp or put a SN on it? I don't want to potentially catch flack if I finish an 80 into a pistol and (for example) get pulled over in a traffic stop.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is what are the requirements for how to finish an 80% receiver

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA

do I have to register it with the msp or put a SN on it? I don't want to potentially catch flack if I finish an 80 into a pistol and (for example) get pulled over in a traffic stop.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is what are the requirements for how to finish an 80% receiver

No

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Exactly! To be able to prove it's not an H-bar, they have to be able to prove what one is...is that clear enough? Logic. You can't prove a negative...only a positive.

Wait a minute, we are talking about the MDSP. Isn't that SOP for them?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

That has been one of my major concerns about an 80% receiver. I am perfectly legal in building my AR, but a cop sees a firearm without a serial number. What do you think he's going to do? I bet it involves me having to retain a lawyer and some time before I see that AR and any other firearms I may have had with me.

How does one go about proving to a police agency that I made this AR and I am within my rights to have this firearm in my possession? Then, would it matter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom